Re: [ANE-2] A new Neo-babylonian site.. crucifixion

  • Lampros F. Kallenos
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 4, 2008
      Dear Prof. Lombatti,

      As you may still remember, in a discussion here, dated
      since 19 March, I mentioned some findings from Athina,
      that seemed to be victims of a kind of crucifixion.

      I asked for some help to my weak memory from greek-arch
      list, and indeed I had two responses.

      Bioarchaeologist and paleopathologist Anastasia Tsaliki
      says these should be victims of what is known as
      <gr.>apotympanismos</gr.>, and they were found in
      Faliron, Athina. She added that currently, Prof. Lilian
      Karali (Dept. of Archaeology, University of Athens) and
      herself, in collaboration with the National
      Archaeological Museum (Athens), are re-examining the
      surviving skeletons. They will publish a preliminarily
      report soon and will make related announcements in
      scientific conferences.

      Biological - Funerary Archaeology & Palaeopathology

      Web Projects:
      http://www.paleopathology.org/links.html
      http://www.bioarchaeology.ning.com
      http://www.environmentalarchaeology.wordpress.com

      Another response says that there are a few mentions
      of nailing to people on planks in this article

      Kyle M. Phillips, Jr., Perseus and Andromeda,
      AJA, 72. 1 (Jan., 1968), pp. 1-23

      which may have further references.

      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 4, 2008
        Il giorno 04/apr/08, alle ore 09:09, Lampros F. Kallenos ha scritto:

        > I asked for some help to my weak memory from greek-arch
        > list, and indeed I had two responses.

        Thanks. I'm looking forward to read that forthcoming paper.

        Best,
        Antonio Lombatti

        ----------------------------------
        http://www.antoniolombatti.it

      • Antonio Lombatti
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 6, 2008
          I'd like to have some information on the ancient length system used in
          the Roman Palestine until the Bar Kokhba Revolt. Did Jews use "cubits"
          as units? How about their daily use?

          Powell wrote that the cubit best estimate could have been 50 cm and it
          was measured from the elbow to the tip of the extended middle finger
          (Marvin A. Powell, 1992. �Weights and Measures,� The Anchor Bible
          Dictionary, 6:897-908.)

          Selected bibliography is also welcomed.

          Thanks to all in advance.

          Antonio Lombatti