Re: Tiberias back to life + 'incendiary bombs'

  • dastacey62
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 3, 2008
      To which should be added Keall's 1993 article "One Man's Mede ia
      Another Man's Persian; One Man's Coconut is Another Man's Grenade" in
      Muqarnas 10 pp. 275-285.

      David Stacey

      -- In ANE-2@yahoogroups.com, "Sam WOLFF" <sam@...> wrote:

      > A recent summmary and typology of 'grenades' can be found in Miriam
      Avissar and Edna J. Stern, Pottery of the Crusader, Ayyubid, and
      Mamluk Periods in Israel (IAA Reports 26), 2005, p. 119. They list
      four possible usages:
      > 1. Container for mercury (Beth Shan)
      > 2. As aeolipiles-fireblowers (Hildburgh 1951)
      > 3. As containers for intoxicating liquids ((Ghouchani and Adle 1992)
      > 4. As containers for material that could be used for striking fire
      (Brosh 1980).

      > Sam Wolff
      > IAA
      >
      > David Stacey asks:
      >
      > Has any more conclusive evidence for their use been discovered
      since I researched the topic nearly two decades ago?

      ************************
      > IMPORTANT: The contents of this email and any attachments are
      confidential. They are intended for the
      > named recipient(s) only.
      > If you have received this email in error, please notify the system
      manager or the sender immediately and do
      > not disclose the contents to anyone or make copies thereof.
      > *** eSafe scanned this email for viruses, vandals, and malicious
      content. ***

    • Paola Raffetta
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 3, 2008
        Dear All,

        On Thu Apr 3, 2008 DAVID.STACEY wrote:

        > To which should be added Keall's 1993 article "One Man's Mede ia
        > Another Man's Persian; One Man's Coconut is Another Man's Grenade" in
        > Muqarnas 10 pp. 275-285.

        Which can be downloaded from
        http://www.archnet.org/library/documents/one-document.jsp?document_id=3928
        in PDF format.

        Paola Raffetta
        --
        http://www.paolaraffetta.com.ar
        estudios orientales - internet

        The reasonable man adapts himself to the world. The unreasonable man
        persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. All progress,
        therefore, depends upon the unreasonable man. -- G. B. Shaw