Re: [ANE-2] Re: Tiberias back to life + 'incendiary bombs'

  • Sam WOLFF
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 3, 2008
      A recent summmary and typology of 'grenades' can be found in Miriam Avissar and Edna J. Stern, Pottery of the Crusader, Ayyubid, and Mamluk Periods in Israel (IAA Reports 26), 2005, p. 119. They list four possible usages:
      1. Container for mercury (Beth Shan)
      2. As aeolipiles-fireblowers (Hildburgh 1951)
      3. As containers for intoxicating liquids ((Ghouchani and Adle 1992)
      4. As containers for material that could be used for striking fire (Brosh 1980).

      Sam Wolff
      IAA

      David Stacey asks:

      Has any more conclusive evidence for their use been discovered since I researched the topic nearly two decades ago?
      named recipient(s) only.
    • dastacey62
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 3, 2008
        -
        Any idea what were her conclusions? And were they published?

        David Stacey

        -- In ANE-2@yahoogroups.com, Joe Zias <joezias@...> wrote:

        > The contents of these so called 'hand grenades', bombs, were
        analyzed some yrs ago by Dr. Namaa Brosh Curator of Islamic Arch. at
        the Israel Museum.

        > Joe
        >
        > dastacey62 <DAVID.STACEY63@...> wrote:
        The article repeats Foerster's rather whimsical suggestion, made in
        > preliminary reports, that a number of thick-walled containers,
        > colloquially known as 'grenades' found in the eastern tower of the
        > gate were 'incendiary bombs' used to defend the city. When I
        > published a final report on FOerster's excavations (IAA REports
        21) I
        > expressed scepticism. The vessels were dated to the 9th century,
        by
        > which time the tower was well inside the city which was rapidly
        > expanding into all the area betwen it and Hammat Tiberias to the
        > south, so the tower was no longer a strategic location. The
        vessels
        > were found inside the tower, with no evidence that they had fallen
        > from a collapsed roof, so would not have been handy for defense.
        They
        > were, perhaps, more likely to have been connected in some way with
        > the metal working carried on in a room adjoining the tower. Over
        the
        > years many suggestions have been made for the use to which these
        > containers may have been put, ranging from fire-bombs, mercury
        pots,
        > beer gourds, and even, tongue in cheek, hash pipes. They are
        quite
        > commonly found over a wide geographical area. Has any more
        conclusive
        > evidence for their use been discovered since I researched the
        topic
        > nearly two decades ago?
        >
        > David Stacey
        >
        > (--- In ANE-2@yahoogroups.com, "Joseph I. Lauer" <josephlauer@>
        > wrote:
        > >

        > > The IAA's English-language press release is still at the
        IAA's

        http://www.antiquities.org.il/images/articles//netnet.panorama.gif

        http://www.antiquities.org.il/images/articles//net.TochnitPituachShaar
        > omi.EngYaaraShaltiel.jpg
        > > http://www.antiquities.org.il/images/articles//Net.mabatMedrom-
        > Maarav.Eng.YaaraShaltiel.jpg
        > > http://www.antiquities.org.il/images/articles//press/Net-
        > mabatmedarom.Eng.YaaraShaltiel.jpg
        > > Joseph I. Lauer
        > > Brooklyn, New York
        > >

        > Joe Zias www.joezias.com
        > Anthropology/Paleopathology
        >
        > Science and Antiquity Group - Jerusalem
        > Jerusalem, Israel

      • Joe Zias
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 3, 2008
          If I remember correctly, they were not used to set fires and I remember someone stating that they tried hurling a few of these and the chances of them breaking were virtually nil as they are heavy and thick walled.

          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 3, 2008
            To which should be added Keall's 1993 article "One Man's Mede ia
            Another Man's Persian; One Man's Coconut is Another Man's Grenade" in
            Muqarnas 10 pp. 275-285.

            David Stacey

            ************************
            > IMPORTANT: The contents of this email and any attachments are
            confidential. They are intended for the
            > named recipient(s) only.
            > If you have received this email in error, please notify the system
            manager or the sender immediately and do
            > not disclose the contents to anyone or make copies thereof.
            > *** eSafe scanned this email for viruses, vandals, and malicious
            content. ***

          • Paola Raffetta
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 3, 2008
              Dear All,

              On Thu Apr 3, 2008 DAVID.STACEY wrote:

              > To which should be added Keall's 1993 article "One Man's Mede ia
              > Another Man's Persian; One Man's Coconut is Another Man's Grenade" in
              > Muqarnas 10 pp. 275-285.

              Which can be downloaded from
              http://www.archnet.org/library/documents/one-document.jsp?document_id=3928
              in PDF format.

              Paola Raffetta
              --
              http://www.paolaraffetta.com.ar
              estudios orientales - internet

              The reasonable man adapts himself to the world. The unreasonable man
              persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. All progress,
              therefore, depends upon the unreasonable man. -- G. B. Shaw