Re: request for bibliography on Pharaonic lands in Canaan

  • arenmaeir
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 2, 2008
      How about this:

      * Ah­ituv, S. 1978. Economic factors in the Egyptian conquest of Canaan.
      Israel Exploration Journal 28:93-105.
      * Na'aman, N. 1981. Economic aspects of the Egyptian occupation of
      Canaan. Israel Exploration Journal 31:172-85.
      * ------. 1988. Pharaonic lands in the Jezreel valley in the Late
      Bronze age. In Society and economy in the eastern Mediterranean (c.
      1500-1000 B.C.), ed. M. Heltzer and E. Lipinski, 177-85. Leuven.
      * Redford, D. B. 1990. Egypt and Canaan in the New Kingdom. Beer-Sheva
      4. Beer-Sheva: Ben-Gurion University.

      Aren Maeir
      gath.wordpress.com
    • John Wall
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 3, 2008
        Sounds like the Great Harris Papyrus.

        All the best,

        John Wall

        From: ANE-2@yahoogroups.com [mailto:ANE-2@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of
        Scott Needham
        Folk:

        I'm looking into a claim made by Redford in his _Egypt, Canaan and
        Israel in Ancient Times_, p.209. Discussing the taxation of the
        Egyptian empire in Western Asia, he states:

        "From the period of the earliest conquests selected tracts of land as
        well as whole cities were confiscated and made the property of
        Egyptian temples: by the 20th Dynasty, the temple of amun owned 56
        and the temple of Re 103 Canaanite towns."

        This statement is not footnoted, so I suppose that the fact must be
        well-known and accepted.

        Anyone know the source(s) for this rather precise assertion? Has
        anyone mapped the towns or discussed locations? Is there a paper or
        other single reference with which I can follow up, or is it derived
        from a synthesis of sources?
      • Yigal Bloch
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 3, 2008
          There should be also a discussion with bibliography in C. R. Higginbotham, Egyptianization and Elite Emulation in Ramesside Palestine: Governance and Accommodation on the Imperial Periphery (CHANE 2; Leiden 2000).

          Yigal Bloch,
          Jerusalem

          1b. Re: request for bibliography on Pharaonic lands in Canaan
          Posted by: "arenmaeir" maeira@... arenmaeir
          Date: Wed Apr 2, 2008 9:24 pm ((PDT))

          How about this:

          * Ah�ituv, S. 1978. Economic factors in the Egyptian conquest of Canaan.
          Israel Exploration Journal 28:93-105.
          * Na'aman, N. 1981. Economic aspects of the Egyptian occupation of
          Canaan. Israel Exploration Journal 31:172-85.
          * ------. 1988. Pharaonic lands in the Jezreel valley in the Late
          Bronze age. In Society and economy in the eastern Mediterranean (c.
          1500-1000 B.C.), ed. M. Heltzer and E. Lipinski, 177-85. Leuven.
          * Redford, D. B. 1990. Egypt and Canaan in the New Kingdom. Beer-Sheva
          4. Beer-Sheva: Ben-Gurion University.

          Aren Maeir
          gath.wordpress.com

        • Miller II, Robert D.
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 21, 2008
            You may want to also consider:

            J. Weinstein, 'Collapse of the Egyptian Empire in the Twelfth Century B.C.', in William A. Ward and Martha S. Joukowsky (eds.), The Crisis Years

            (Dubuque: Kendall/Hunt, 1992).

            Gary N. Knoppers and A. Hirsch (eds.), Egypt, Israel, and the Ancient Mediterranean World (Probleme der Agyptologie, 20; Leiden: E. J.

            Brill, 2004).

            Rolf Gundlach and Ursula Rössler-Köhler, eds., Königtum der Ramessidenzeit (Agypten und Altes Testament, 36.3; Wiesbaden: Harrasowitz,

            2001)

            Robert Miller II

            Mount St. Mary's University

            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 22, 2008
              Overdue thanks to those who offered help. The articles cited and
              others I've pulled seem rather summarily to present conclusions similar
              to those of Redford, quoted in my initial request. It appears that the
              root of all of this is Papyrus Wilbour, a transliteration of which
              appears in Gardiner's old four volume principal edition--which is not
              very accessible. So an ILL request is currently floating around the
              aether.

              Regards and Happy Trails,

              Scott Needham,
              Boulder, Colorado, USA