request for bibliography

  • Scott Needham
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 2, 2008
      Folk:

      I'm looking into a claim made by Redford in his _Egypt, Canaan and
      Israel in Ancient Times_, p.209. Discussing the taxation of the
      Egyptian empire in Western Asia, he states:

      "From the period of the earliest conquests selected tracts of land as
      well as whole cities were confiscated and made the property of
      Egyptian temples: by the 20th Dynasty, the temple of amun owned 56
      and the temple of Re 103 Canaanite towns."

      This statement is not footnoted, so I suppose that the fact must be
      well-known and accepted.

      Anyone know the source(s) for this rather precise assertion? Has
      anyone mapped the towns or discussed locations? Is there a paper or
      other single reference with which I can follow up, or is it derived
      from a synthesis of sources?

      Thanks in advance for any direction....

      Regards and Happy Trails,

      Scott Needham,
      Boulder, Colorado, USA
    • arenmaeir
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 2, 2008
        How about this:

        * Ah­ituv, S. 1978. Economic factors in the Egyptian conquest of Canaan.
        Israel Exploration Journal 28:93-105.
        * Na'aman, N. 1981. Economic aspects of the Egyptian occupation of
        Canaan. Israel Exploration Journal 31:172-85.
        * ------. 1988. Pharaonic lands in the Jezreel valley in the Late
        Bronze age. In Society and economy in the eastern Mediterranean (c.
        1500-1000 B.C.), ed. M. Heltzer and E. Lipinski, 177-85. Leuven.
        * Redford, D. B. 1990. Egypt and Canaan in the New Kingdom. Beer-Sheva
        4. Beer-Sheva: Ben-Gurion University.

        Aren Maeir
        gath.wordpress.com
      • John Wall
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 3, 2008
          Sounds like the Great Harris Papyrus.

          All the best,

          John Wall

          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 3, 2008
            There should be also a discussion with bibliography in C. R. Higginbotham, Egyptianization and Elite Emulation in Ramesside Palestine: Governance and Accommodation on the Imperial Periphery (CHANE 2; Leiden 2000).

            Yigal Bloch,
            Jerusalem

            1b. Re: request for bibliography on Pharaonic lands in Canaan
            Posted by: "arenmaeir" maeira@... arenmaeir
            Date: Wed Apr 2, 2008 9:24 pm ((PDT))

            How about this:

            * Ah�ituv, S. 1978. Economic factors in the Egyptian conquest of Canaan.
            Israel Exploration Journal 28:93-105.
            * Na'aman, N. 1981. Economic aspects of the Egyptian occupation of
            Canaan. Israel Exploration Journal 31:172-85.
            * ------. 1988. Pharaonic lands in the Jezreel valley in the Late
            Bronze age. In Society and economy in the eastern Mediterranean (c.
            1500-1000 B.C.), ed. M. Heltzer and E. Lipinski, 177-85. Leuven.
            * Redford, D. B. 1990. Egypt and Canaan in the New Kingdom. Beer-Sheva
            4. Beer-Sheva: Ben-Gurion University.

            Aren Maeir
            gath.wordpress.com

          • Miller II, Robert D.
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 21, 2008
              You may want to also consider:

              J. Weinstein, 'Collapse of the Egyptian Empire in the Twelfth Century B.C.', in William A. Ward and Martha S. Joukowsky (eds.), The Crisis Years

              (Dubuque: Kendall/Hunt, 1992).

              Gary N. Knoppers and A. Hirsch (eds.), Egypt, Israel, and the Ancient Mediterranean World (Probleme der Agyptologie, 20; Leiden: E. J.

              Brill, 2004).

              Rolf Gundlach and Ursula Rössler-Köhler, eds., Königtum der Ramessidenzeit (Agypten und Altes Testament, 36.3; Wiesbaden: Harrasowitz,

              2001)

              Robert Miller II

              Mount St. Mary's University

              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 22, 2008
                Overdue thanks to those who offered help. The articles cited and
                others I've pulled seem rather summarily to present conclusions similar
                to those of Redford, quoted in my initial request. It appears that the
                root of all of this is Papyrus Wilbour, a transliteration of which
                appears in Gardiner's old four volume principal edition--which is not
                very accessible. So an ILL request is currently floating around the
                aether.

                Regards and Happy Trails,

                Scott Needham,
                Boulder, Colorado, USA