Re: O Ashkelon, Ashkelon, Wherefore are thou Ashkelon?

  • arenmaeir
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 1, 2008
      The first Ashkelon report! Now that is exciting news ...

      Aren Maeir
    • David Hall
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 1, 2008
        I am currently in Tiberias and they have increased digging activities here. Found the Ha-Oganim, House of Anchors Museum at Kibbutz En Gev with exhibits about Galilee fishing in ancient times and exhibits about the lake and fishing during the times of Jesus.

        The lake was higher in ancient times. They had lowered the outlet to the lower Jordan River near Kinneret Junction 2-3 meters to increase water to a hydroelectric station built there before Israel was a nation.

        David Q. Hall
        dqhall59@...

        Antonio Lombatti <antonio.lombatti@...> wrote:
        I've seen now that the press release has been removed from the IAA
        website. April Fools Day? Yesterday, it was there.

        Anyway, I had copied its beginnig and pasted it on my website:

        In a festive press conference today the mayor of Tiberias and the
        director-general of the Israel Antiquities Authority announced the
        beginning of work on the national project for the construction of an
        archaeological park in Tiberias that will bring the Roman city “back
        to life”. Berko Park is slated to be magnet that will attract tourism
        from Israel and abroad to Tiberias and will expose the public at large
        to Tiberias’ glorious past, through all of its history which has its
        beginnings in the Early Roman period 2,000 years ago.

        So far, this is the only evidence of the IAA press release on
        Tiberias...

        Antonio Lombatti

        http://www.antoniolombatti.it