Re: [ANE-2] Cuneiform clay tablet translated for the first time

  • Ariel L. Szczupak
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 31, 2008
      same press release with pic at

      http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/03/31/kofels_asteroid/print.html

      but before you rush, it claims that [my edit] "The "Planisphere"
      tablet (see pic) - inscribed around 700 BC ... has now been revealed
      to describe an asteroid impact which in 3123 BC hit Ko"fels, Austria, ..."

      YCMMV [your credulity mileage may vary]

      At 06:10 PM 3/31/2008, Clark Whelton wrote:

      >Cuneiform Clay Tablet Translated for the First Time
      >
      >University of Bristol Press Release issued 31 March 2008
      >
      >"A cuneiform clay tablet that has puzzled scholars for over 150 years has
      >been translated for the first time. The tablet is now known to be a
      >contemporary Sumerian observation of an asteroid impact at Köfels, Austria
      >and is published in a new book, A Sumerian Observation of the Köfels' Impact
      >Event.
      >
      >"The giant landslide centred at Köfels in Austria is 500m thick and five
      >kilometres in diameter and has long been a mystery since geologists first
      >looked at it in the 19th century. The conclusion drawn by research in the
      >middle 20th century was that it must be due to a very large meteor impact
      >because of the evidence of crushing pressures and explosions. But this view
      >lost favour as a much better understanding of impact sites developed in the
      >late 20th century. In the case of Köfels there is no crater, so to modern
      >eyes it does not look as an impact site should look. However, the evidence
      >that puzzled the earlier researchers remains unexplained by the view that it
      >is just another landslide...."
      >
      >"...The full translation of the tablet together with the analysis supporting
      >these conclusions can be found in the book, A Sumerian Observation of the
      >Kofels' Impact Event published by Alcin Academics, ISBN 1904623646, priced
      >at £12.99."
      >
      >Complete press release at
      >
      ><http://www.bris.ac.uk/news/2008/212017945233.html>http://www.bris.ac.uk/news/2008/212017945233.html
      >
      >Clark Whelton
      >New York

      Ariel.

      ---
      Ariel L. Szczupak
      AMIS-JLM (Ricercar Ltd.)
      POB 4707, Jerusalem, Israel 91406
      Phone: +972-2-5619660 Fax: +972-2-5634203
      ane.als@...
    • Ariel L. Szczupak
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 1, 2008
        Actually the Register's report is not the press release (Bristol
        University, Department of Aerospace Engineering, URL by CW below) but
        based on it. The press release itself provides for an even better
        edit: "It [the tablet] is a copy ..., made by an Assyrian scribe
        around 700 BC, ... of the night notebook of a Sumerian astronomer as
        he records the events in the sky before dawn on the 29 June 3123 BC
        (Julian calendar)."

        For those offliners who questioned my skepticism, it's not just the
        claimed preservation of exact astronomical data during 2400 years
        while the accuracy of accounts of other aspects of Sumerian interests
        got somewhat degraded (e.g. Gilgamesh, c. 2600 BC), or to the known
        variations in copies of, e.g., the Venus tablet. 3123 BC is right in
        the middle of the proto-cuneiform period. While there are
        proto-cuneiform tablets that deal with other Sumerian interests, e.g.
        their version of 99 bottles of beer on the wall, there are no
        proto-cuneiform astronomical tablets in evidence.

        Of course the current rush to spend generous amounts of money on
        saving Iraq's unprovenanced past may result in such demand-generated
        "genuine" tablets turning up :)

        At 09:45 AM 4/1/2008, Ariel L. Szczupak wrote:
        >same press release with pic at
        >
        >http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/03/31/kofels_asteroid/print.html
        >
        >but before you rush, it claims that [my edit] "The "Planisphere"
        >tablet (see pic) - inscribed around 700 BC ... has now been revealed
        >to describe an asteroid impact which in 3123 BC hit Ko"fels, Austria, ..."
        >
        >YCMMV [your credulity mileage may vary]
        >

        >At 06:10 PM 3/31/2008, Clark Whelton wrote:
        >
        >>Cuneiform Clay Tablet Translated for the First Time
        >>
        >>University of Bristol Press Release issued 31 March 2008
        >>
        >>"A cuneiform clay tablet that has puzzled scholars for over 150 years has
        >>been translated for the first time. The tablet is now known to be a
        >>contemporary Sumerian observation of an asteroid impact at Köfels, Austria
        >>and is published in a new book, A Sumerian Observation of the Köfels' Impact
        >>Event.
        >>
        >>"The giant landslide centred at Köfels in Austria is 500m thick and five
        >>kilometres in diameter and has long been a mystery since geologists first
        >>looked at it in the 19th century. The conclusion drawn by research in the
        >>middle 20th century was that it must be due to a very large meteor impact
        >>because of the evidence of crushing pressures and explosions. But this view
        >>lost favour as a much better understanding of impact sites developed in the
        >>late 20th century. In the case of Köfels there is no crater, so to modern
        >>eyes it does not look as an impact site should look. However, the evidence
        >>that puzzled the earlier researchers remains unexplained by the view that it
        >>is just another landslide...."
        >>
        >>"...The full translation of the tablet together with the analysis supporting
        >>these conclusions can be found in the book, A Sumerian Observation of the
        >>Kofels' Impact Event published by Alcin Academics, ISBN 1904623646, priced
        >>at £12.99."
        >>
        >>Complete press release at
        >>
        >><http://www.bris.ac.uk/news/2008/212017945233.html>http://www.bris.ac.uk/news/2008/212017945233.html
        >>
        >>Clark Whelton
        >>New York

        Ariel.

        ---
        Ariel L. Szczupak
        AMIS-JLM (Ricercar Ltd.)
        POB 4707, Jerusalem, Israel 91406
        Phone: +972-2-5619660 Fax: +972-2-5634203
        ane.als@...
      • Peter James
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 1, 2008
          Very funny Clark!! Happy April 1st. Best, Peter James