[ANE-2] Tiberias back to life

  • Antonio Lombatti
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 31, 2008
      The IAA has a press release on it:

      http://www.antiquities.org.il/article_Item_eng.asp?sec_id=25&subj_id=240&id=1366&module_id=#as

      Antonio Lombatti

      ----------------------------------
      http://www.antoniolombatti.it

    • Joseph I. Lauer
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 2, 2008
        The IAA's English-language press release is still at the IAA's website
        as is the Hebrew version of the release, along with a picture and some
        drawings.
        http://www.antiquities.org.il/article_Item_eng.asp?sec_id=25&subj_id=240&id=1366&module_id=#as
        [English, with one picture and two drawings]
        http://www.antiquities.org.il/article_Item_ido.asp?sec_id=25&subj_id=240&id=1365&module_id=#as
        [Hebrew, with the same picture and a different drawing]
        The picture and the drawings may also be separately viewed at the
        following URLs
        http://www.antiquities.org.il/images/articles//netnet.panorama.gif
        http://www.antiquities.org.il/images/articles//net.TochnitPituachShaaromi.EngYaaraShaltiel.jpg
        http://www.antiquities.org.il/images/articles//Net.mabatMedrom-Maarav.Eng.YaaraShaltiel.jpg
        http://www.antiquities.org.il/images/articles//press/Net-mabatmedarom.Eng.YaaraShaltiel.jpg
        Joseph I. Lauer
        Brooklyn, New York
      • dastacey62
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 3, 2008
          The article repeats Foerster's rather whimsical suggestion, made in
          preliminary reports, that a number of thick-walled containers,
          colloquially known as 'grenades' found in the eastern tower of the
          gate were 'incendiary bombs' used to defend the city. When I
          published a final report on FOerster's excavations (IAA REports 21) I
          expressed scepticism. The vessels were dated to the 9th century, by
          which time the tower was well inside the city which was rapidly
          expanding into all the area betwen it and Hammat Tiberias to the
          south, so the tower was no longer a strategic location. The vessels
          were found inside the tower, with no evidence that they had fallen
          from a collapsed roof, so would not have been handy for defense. They
          were, perhaps, more likely to have been connected in some way with
          the metal working carried on in a room adjoining the tower. Over the
          years many suggestions have been made for the use to which these
          containers may have been put, ranging from fire-bombs, mercury pots,
          beer gourds, and even, tongue in cheek, hash pipes. They are quite
          commonly found over a wide geographical area. Has any more conclusive
          evidence for their use been discovered since I researched the topic
          nearly two decades ago?

          David Stacey

          (--- In ANE-2@yahoogroups.com, "Joseph I. Lauer" <josephlauer@...>
          wrote:

          > The IAA's English-language press release is still at the IAA's
          website
          > as is the Hebrew version of the release, along with a picture and
          some
          > drawings.
          > http://www.antiquities.org.il/article_Item_eng.asp?
          sec_id=25&subj_id=240&id=1366&module_id=#as
          > [English, with one picture and two drawings]
          > http://www.antiquities.org.il/article_Item_ido.asp?
          sec_id=25&subj_id=240&id=1365&module_id=#as
          > [Hebrew, with the same picture and a different drawing]
          > The picture and the drawings may also be separately viewed at
          the
          > following URLs
          > http://www.antiquities.org.il/images/articles//netnet.panorama.gif

          http://www.antiquities.org.il/images/articles//net.TochnitPituachShaar
          omi.EngYaaraShaltiel.jpg
          > http://www.antiquities.org.il/images/articles//Net.mabatMedrom-
          Maarav.Eng.YaaraShaltiel.jpg
          > http://www.antiquities.org.il/images/articles//press/Net-
          mabatmedarom.Eng.YaaraShaltiel.jpg
          > Joseph I. Lauer
          > Brooklyn, New York

        • Joe Zias
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 3, 2008
            The contents of these so called 'hand grenades', bombs, were analyzed some yrs ago by Dr. Namaa Brosh Curator of Islamic Arch. at the Israel Museum.

            Joe

            dastacey62 <DAVID.STACEY63@...> wrote: The article repeats Foerster's rather whimsical suggestion, made in

            wrote:

            > The IAA's English-language press release is still at the IAA's
            website
            > as is the Hebrew version of the release, along with a picture and
            some
            > drawings.
            > http://www.antiquities.org.il/article_Item_eng.asp?
            sec_id=25&subj_id=240&id=1366&module_id=#as
            > [English, with one picture and two drawings]
            > http://www.antiquities.org.il/article_Item_ido.asp?
            sec_id=25&subj_id=240&id=1365&module_id=#as
            > [Hebrew, with the same picture and a different drawing]
            > The picture and the drawings may also be separately viewed at
            the
            > following URLs
            > http://www.antiquities.org.il/images/articles//netnet.panorama.gif

            http://www.antiquities.org.il/images/articles//net.TochnitPituachShaar
            omi.EngYaaraShaltiel.jpg
            > http://www.antiquities.org.il/images/articles//Net.mabatMedrom-
            Maarav.Eng.YaaraShaltiel.jpg
            > http://www.antiquities.org.il/images/articles//press/Net-
            mabatmedarom.Eng.YaaraShaltiel.jpg
            > Joseph I. Lauer
            > Brooklyn, New York

            Joe Zias www.joezias.com
            Anthropology/Paleopathology

            Science and Antiquity Group - Jerusalem
            Jerusalem, Israel

          • Sam WOLFF
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 3, 2008
              A recent summmary and typology of 'grenades' can be found in Miriam Avissar and Edna J. Stern, Pottery of the Crusader, Ayyubid, and Mamluk Periods in Israel (IAA Reports 26), 2005, p. 119. They list four possible usages:
              1. Container for mercury (Beth Shan)
              2. As aeolipiles-fireblowers (Hildburgh 1951)
              3. As containers for intoxicating liquids ((Ghouchani and Adle 1992)
              4. As containers for material that could be used for striking fire (Brosh 1980).

              Sam Wolff
              IAA

              David Stacey asks:

              Has any more conclusive evidence for their use been discovered since I researched the topic nearly two decades ago?
              named recipient(s) only.
            • dastacey62
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 3, 2008
                -
                Any idea what were her conclusions? And were they published?

                David Stacey

                -- In ANE-2@yahoogroups.com, Joe Zias <joezias@...> wrote:

> [...]
                topic
                > nearly two decades ago?
                >
                > David Stacey
                >
                > (--- In ANE-2@yahoogroups.com, "Joseph I. Lauer" <josephlauer@>
                > wrote:
                > >

                > > The IAA's English-language press release is still at the
                IAA's
                > website
                > > as is the Hebrew version of the release, along with a picture
                and
                > some
                > > drawings.
                > > http://www.antiquities.org.il/article_Item_eng.asp?
                > sec_id=25&subj_id=240&id=1366&module_id=#as
                > > [English, with one picture and two drawings]
                > > http://www.antiquities.org.il/article_Item_ido.asp?
                > sec_id=25&subj_id=240&id=1365&module_id=#as
                > > [Hebrew, with the same picture and a different drawing]
                > > The picture and the drawings may also be separately viewed

              • Joe Zias
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 3, 2008
                  If I remember correctly, they were not used to set fires and I remember someone stating that they tried hurling a few of these and the chances of them breaking were virtually nil as they are heavy and thick walled.

                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 3, 2008
                    To which should be added Keall's 1993 article "One Man's Mede ia
                    Another Man's Persian; One Man's Coconut is Another Man's Grenade" in
                    Muqarnas 10 pp. 275-285.

                    David Stacey

                    ************************
                    > IMPORTANT: The contents of this email and any attachments are
                    confidential. They are intended for the
                    > named recipient(s) only.
                    > If you have received this email in error, please notify the system
                    manager or the sender immediately and do
                    > not disclose the contents to anyone or make copies thereof.
                    > *** eSafe scanned this email for viruses, vandals, and malicious
                    content. ***

                  • Paola Raffetta
                    Message 9 of 9 , Apr 3, 2008
                      Dear All,

                      On Thu Apr 3, 2008 DAVID.STACEY wrote:

                      > To which should be added Keall's 1993 article "One Man's Mede ia
                      > Another Man's Persian; One Man's Coconut is Another Man's Grenade" in
                      > Muqarnas 10 pp. 275-285.

                      Which can be downloaded from
                      http://www.archnet.org/library/documents/one-document.jsp?document_id=3928
                      in PDF format.

                      Paola Raffetta
                      --
                      http://www.paolaraffetta.com.ar
                      estudios orientales - internet

                      The reasonable man adapts himself to the world. The unreasonable man
                      persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. All progress,
                      therefore, depends upon the unreasonable man. -- G. B. Shaw