Re: [ANE-2] Crucifixion on the BBC

  • Jack Kilmon
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 25, 2008
      Not only were they, or at least some, done with nails, there was a special
      type of spike used. It was cast specifically designed for crucifixion with
      a knob on the head followed by a larger flange to prevent tearing out.
      These could be reused. The only remains found from a crucifixion, that of
      one Yehohanon bar Haggol from an ossuary found at Giv'at haMivtar, still had
      the nail through the ankle bone, it having bent over in a knot in the wood
      of the stipes. I suspect that you may be correct in the case of mass
      crucifixions of hundreds of victims where slow hemorrhagic shock may have
      been induced by other means. The exactor mortis was the legionnaire in
      charge of a 4 man team (quatemio) responsible for conducting crucifixions.
      They had it down to an art and would have been supplied with these nails. I
      have one and it is a scarey looking thing.

      Jack Kilmon
      San Antonio,TX