Ancestor Paradox

  • Marc Cooper
    Message 1 of 103 , Feb 29, 2008
      The common sense notion that each of us must have millions of
      ancestors 80 or 100 generations ago is called the Ancestor Paradox.
      For an explanation see

      Marc Cooper
      Missouri State University

      --- In ANE-2@yahoogroups.com, "Dierk van den Berg" <haGalil@...>

    • David Hall
      Message 103 of 103 , Mar 10, 2008
        Good point about the apple. Similarly a description of hell brought forth by Milton (Paradise Lost) was accepted by some in the way they accepted Biblical myths.

        If the forbidden fruit in the Garden of Eden could give knowledge of good or evil or both it has no known parallel in the natural world, and is mythological. While fruits offered nutrients we cannot find a piece of fruit in the fruit section of the supermarket that will give us knowledge without studying. I suppose if you could change the meanings of the worlds you might be able to resolve it, but then it would be difficult to get the correct meanings back again.

        Suppose you could get barnyard animals to talk, what would they say? A talking serpent is beyond the realm of the rational and into the surreal. It was a common morphology of some authors of fairy tales to have animals talking. Aesop had a story of the fox trying to steal the grapes from a vine, but could not reach them. Then Aesop pretended to reveal the fox's thoughts. After admitting failure to get grapes the fox tried to minimize the loss by stating, "The grapes were probably sour." While animal thoughts might be presumed, the human does not have the sensory organs to detect animal replies or statements, unless a donkey might be impelled to mimic the voice of human and give a message, similar to a dog trying to wake inhabitants during a fire.

        As for the biography of Moses. The "laws of Moses" exist, it is presumed someone with a pen name of Moses had to write them. My personal trips to the Sinai and Negev and many hours in libraries reading Exodus theory, including records of historical volcanic eruptions in Northern Arabia have lead me to conclude the work of Exodus is a work of literature and not history. This does not mean there are no Hebrews, or laws of 'Moses,' only that Exodus is a fiction.

        The book of Kings contained some history verified in part by the Assyrian archives found at Kuyunjik/Nineveh across the Tigris River from Mosul, Iraq. The descriptions of the siege of Lachish in the Bible and in Assyrian cuneiform were similar. The archaeology of the citadel did not conflict with the two similar accounts, thus some history from the book of Kings was verified. Part of the book might also have been stories without factual basis that were kept by those without the ability to confirm nor deny them. Forging antiquities to try to prove one's own assumptions does not aid in the search for the truth.

        David Q. Hall

        "Jeffrey B. Gibson" <jgibson000@...> wrote:
        Gary Greenberg wrote:
        > As there is no specific mention in Genesis of an apple being the forbidden fruit, would it be fair to say that the idea that Genesis refers to an apple as just a myth about Genesis.
        The idea that the fruit was an apple entered Western consciousness from
        Augustine who noticed the similarity between the Latin words for apple
        and evil.

        In any case, please do NOT include the who of an exchange in your
        messages to the List when you are responding to only a section of that
        exchange. Quote only as much of a post to which you are responding as
        is necessary to give your message its proper context..

        Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon)
        1500 W. Pratt Blvd.
        Chicago, Illinois
        e-mail jgibson000@...