new works: E. Puech on the Qumran 1996 ostracon, etc.

  • goranson@duke.edu
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 8, 2008
      An important new article for those interested in who lived at Qumran [please
      forgive the lack of accents]:
      Emile Puech, L'ostracon de Khirbet Qumran (KhQ1996/1) et une vente de
      terrain a Jericho, temoin de l'occupation essenienne a Qumran," Flores
      Florentino: Dead Sea Scrolls and other early Jewish studies in honour of
      Florentino Garcia Martinez, ed. A Hilhorst; Emile Puech; Eibert J C Tigchelaar.
      Brill 2007 [2008], pages 1-29. Puech reads this text as relating to the Qumran
      Essene community, including mention of the mebakker.

      Ada Yardeni's "A Note on a Qumran Scribe," which claims many mss in
      most of the Qumran caves for a single scribe is (if a valid claim) another
      indication that the Qumran mss were quite unlikely to have originated from
      diverse libraries brought from far away. Further proposals that deny that
      Essenes lived at Qumran and ask where are mss found in the Khirbeh, despite
      fire and water, fail to give account why the extraordinarily multiple inkwells,
      in their scenarios, did not leave extant pottery business records and/or
      military records and/or deluxe and/or rustic villa and/or salt-seller motel
      receipts etc.

      Yardeni's claim, if valid, may call into question some aspects of the
      claims in recent cave distribution studies by Stephen Pfann:
      "Reassessing the Judean Desert Caves: Libraries, Archives, Genizas and Hiding
      Places," BA-IAS 25 (2007)
      http://www.uhl.ac/articles/ReassessingTheJudeanDesertCaves.pdf

      and by Daniel Stoekl Ben Ezra:
      "Old Caves and Young Caves: Two Qumran Collections," DSD 14 (2007) 314-33
      http://www.geocities.com/shunrata/abstract.html

      The new (2006 [2007]) edition of the 3QCopper Scroll by Puech [Le rouleau de
      cuivre de la grotte 3 de Qumrân (3Q15) : expertise, restauration, epigraphie]
      is also important, though it could be remarked that the proposal of Puech which
      has the Teacher of Righteousness serving as High Priest ending in 152 BCE has
      rather been shown quite unlikely by VanderKam (see note 3ff in the online
      article after the signature). And the earlier Jonathan is, in any case, too
      early to be the Wicked Priest. Similarly, Hyrcanus II (proposed by Doudna as
      Teacher of Righteousness), among other disqualifications, is too late.

      best,
      Stephen Goranson
      http://www.duke.edu/~goranson
      "Jannaeus, His Brother Absalom, and Judah the Essene"
    • dastacey62
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 9, 2008
        --- In ANE-2@yahoogroups.com, goranson@... wrote:
        >, did not leave extant pottery business records and/or
        > military records and/or deluxe and/or rustic villa and/or salt-seller
        motel
        > receipts etc.

        Are we to suppose that because no documents at all were found during
        the extensive excavations in Second Temple Jericho, that absolutely no
        agribusiness, perfume industry or etc took place there?

        David Stacey
        UK