Re: Ryan Byrne's commentary on the $lmt seal: Seals of Women, Epigraphy, Iconogr

  • lmlkes
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 5, 2008
      Dear Mr. Sapir and Listers, Hi!!! I Thank You for your interesting
      reply. I Thank You for the link to the seal also. You are not really
      serious about ignoring the unprovenanced material; are you??? You have
      been writing about the UNPROVENANCED seal of Ezra for the past few
      weeks. If my memory serves me correctly, you even wanted BAS to put a
      picture of it next to the seal of Shelomit. Concerning the 1940s as a
      safer time for antiquities to be more trusted, the catalogues of seals
      and the history of seals in general has shown that there have been
      really no good times when there were not forgeries. There has always
      been the forgery right along side of the genuine article. Concerning
      the "lame bet" issue, it is actually the opposite of what you suggest.
      These Archaic letter types are the less known forms and when they
      appear on objects, such as the HBRN top register LMLK seals or the
      Archaic four stroked Hey on the four-winged SUKH seals, they lend
      themselves to genuineness rather than a forgery. I am grateful that
      men like Dr. Avigad spent their lives working on this unprovenanced
      material, so that we might have a better understanding of Israel's
      Ancient History.
      Thank You Again,
      Sincerely Yours,
      Michael Welch