Re: [ANE-2] Gerald Massey _ Ancient Egypt: The Light of the World_

  • gtosiris@mpx.com.au
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 31, 2008
      Hi Jeffrey,

      The view these days of Egyptologists who are familiar with him - and that is not many - is the same as the view of Egyptologists in his day - not worth a cracker! His book Ancient Egypt is a spiritualist interpretation of ancient Egypt and its mythology. Most people fail to recognise this. It would not have been published without the support of his friend (and fellow eccentric and astro-mythologist) George St. Clair. Massey was not an Egyptologist and had no formal schooling. He was a really good poet even though he had limitations with the English language.

      From my website (but not on his Ancient Egypt):
      Massey, Gerald. (1883). The Natural Genesis. (2 Volumes). [Note: Completely unreliable. Life dates: 1828-1907. See the short obituary notice in The Athen�um, Number 4175, November 2, 1907, Page 553. See also an article on Gerald Massey by John Collins in the Contemporary Review, May, 1904. See the (English-language) book review by Anon in Athenaeum, 29 December, 1883, Pages 864. For an evaluation of Massey as a poet see "The Nestor of Living Poets." by the literary critic John Collins in The Contemporary Review, Volume LXXXV, January-June, 1904, Pages 727-738). For a fascinating biography of Gerald Massey see the book Gerald Massey: Chartist, Poet, Radical and Freethinker by David Shaw (1995).]

      David Shaw's book is on the internet. I really don't wish to spend time looking for my folder which has reviews of Massey's books, including Ancient Egypt. Spending some time using Google will identify them.

      Regards,
      Gary Thompson