Re: [long] More on pics & texts [was Re: [ANE-2] Qumran ostracon KhQ1

  • George F Somsel
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 13, 2008
      I would consider this a very sensible view. I do not wish to state that Cross is correct and Golb incorrect OR that Golb is correct and Cross incorrect. I particularly do not wish to take sides in the dispute unless I am convinced that one side or the other has interpreted the evidence more correctly. Much less do I wish to accuse Cross of attempting to distort the evidence without good and sufficient proof that he has done so. There is one matter that seems a bit curious to me. This is that apparently Cross stated or implied that the writing on the ostracon has degenerated due to being wet in order to bring out details. While the Dead Sea area is known for its paucity of rainfall, I think with what my sources indicate as 8-12 in of rain per year for a period somewhat less than 2,000 years this argument is suspect. Surely it would have been dampened numerous times during this period unless it was found in a location where it would be protected from
      water.

      george
      gfsomsel
      � search for truth, hear truth,