Re: animal bones found at Qumran

  • kessler_paul
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 2, 2008
      I only referred to bone china in the course of making a point; I also
      referred to prehistoric and historic bone-tempered pottery found in
      Texas. If people living in what is today Texas had, in prehistoric
      times, discovered that ground bone could be used to temper pottery,
      surely one must inquire whether pottery-makers living at Qumran also
      knew of this trick and employed it. In addition, from what I
      understand ground bone is also used in various cosmetics.

      I hope people will agree with me that these (and other similar)
      avenues of inquiry make better sense than leaping to the conclusion
      that since the inhabitants of Qumran stored some animal bones in
      jars, therefore they were religious sectarians.

      Paul Kessler (New York, NY)