Re: [ANE-2] Re: Qumran inkwells and other facts and inkwells

  • George F Somsel
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 2, 2008
      Is anyone aware of the conditions under which the scrolls from Masada were found? It would potentially make considerable difference whether they were put somewhere for safe keeping or had been exposed to the elements. It must be remembered that the finds at Qumran were in jars inside caves. I think the argument was that only the scrolls placed in jars and secreted in the caves survived to be discovered.

      Yes, inkwells would have been needed anywhere correspondence was carried out, but it is only logical that when a numerically greater number of persons are involved in correspondence or in the production of any writings that there would be a greater need for inkwells. I hardly think that each scribe could be expected to walk across the room to another scribe's position to dip his brush. I'm really wondering, however, why you would resort to a hypothesis that the Romans may have introduced some of the inkwells to the site. In that case, perhaps the few inkwells found at other sites were introduced by the Romans as well. The argument that the Romans may have introduced them makes no sense.

      george
      gfsomsel

      defend the truth till death.

      - Jan Hus
      _________

      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 2, 2008
        One of the scrolls was found in a pit beneath the rear room of the
        synagogue (not in a jar); others were found beneath about 2m. of
        debris (also not in jars). So, if at Masaada why not at Qumran?

        David Stacey
        UK

        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 2, 2008
          Thank you for your response. While one might wonder how much protection the debris under which the scrolls were found at Masada would have provided and one might also wonder whether the problem with not finding any such evidence at Qumran was do to its not having been covered with debris, it does quite measurably strenghthen the question regarding why parchment was not found at Qumran which was not in the caves. That seems to be one for the non-scriptorium view.

          george
          gfsomsel

          defend the truth till death.

          - Jan Hus
          _________

          One of the scrolls was found in a pit beneath the rear room of the
          synagogue (not in a jar); others were found beneath about 2m. of
          debris (also not in jars). So, if at Masaada why not at Qumran?

          David Stacey
          UK
          --- In ANE-2@yahoogroups. com, George F Somsel <gfsomsel@.. .> wrote:

          > Is anyone aware of the conditions under which the scrolls from
          Masada were found? It would potentially make considerable difference
          whether they were put somewhere for safe keeping or had been exposed
          to the elements. It must be remembered that the finds at Qumran were
          in jars inside caves. I think the argument was that only the scrolls
          placed in jars and secreted in the caves survived to be discovered.

          > Yes, inkwells would have been needed anywhere correspondence was
          carried out, but it is only logical that when a numerically greater
          number of persons are involved in correspondence or in the production
          of any writings that there would be a greater need for inkwells. I
          hardly think that each scribe could be expected to walk across the
          room to another scribe's position to dip his brush. I'm really
          wondering, however, why you would resort to a hypothesis that the
          Romans may have introduced some of the inkwells to the site. In that
          case, perhaps the few inkwells found at other sites were introduced
          by the Romans as well. The argument that the Romans may have
          introduced them makes no sense.

          > george
          > gfsomsel
          >
          > Therefore, O faithful Christian, search for truth, hear truth,
          > defend the truth till death.
          >
          > - Jan Hus
          > _________

        • kessler_paul
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 2, 2008
            (1) The Masada scrolls were not stored in jars, but were found simply
            in the form of fragments here and there in the excavated ground.

            (2) Only a small portion of the Dead Sea Scrolls (those in cave 1)
            were (apparently) stored in jars, most of them were either buried (as
            in Cave 4) or simply left unprotected (possibly in cloth covers which
            eventually disintegrated) in the caves. So much for Goranson's
            stunning point about the elements.

            (3) I did not resort to the argument about Roman inkwells. Goranson
            resorted to that argument with respect to the Shuafat inkwells, and I
            responded (in part) by pointing out that one could do the same for
            Qumran. Pursuant to your argument, since five inkwells were
            found "together on a floor" at Shuafat, there must have been scribes
            and a scriptorium there, right on that floor! But no one has ever
            argued that there was. (Besides which, as someone else has pointed
            out, pottery was produced at Qumran, why not inkwells too?)

            Paul Kessler (New York, NY)

            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 2, 2008
              George, it's interesting to see that you're amenable to reason on
              this issue. Incidentally, I see you have also expressed some
              interesting views in the comments to this article:
              http://tinyurl.com/ypfgem

              Paul Kessler (New York, NY)

            • dwashbur@nyx.net
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 2, 2008
                On 2 Jan 2008 at 2:41, George F Somsel wrote:

                > Is anyone aware of the conditions under which the scrolls from Masada
                > were found? It would potentially make considerable difference whether
                > they were put somewhere for safe keeping or had been exposed to the
                > elements. It must be remembered that the finds at Qumran were in jars
                > inside caves. I think the argument was that only the scrolls placed in
                > jars and secreted in the caves survived to be discovered.

                Only a few of the scrolls found near Qumran (not at Qumran) were in jars. The majority
                were just tossed in there, seemingly helter-skelter as if there was no concern for their
                preservation. This is particularly the case with cave 4, where the bulk of scrolls were
                discovered tossed all over the floor and covered in blown-in dirt, bat guano, and who knows
                what else.

                Dave Washburn
                As a French hippie might say, "Je ne creuse pas!"