Re: Qumran inkwells and other facts and inkwells

  • kessler_paul
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 1, 2008
      Roman inkwells = way of avoiding fact that more inkwells were
      found "together on a floor" at Shuafat than in the rubble De Vaux
      identified as the remains of a "scriptorium" at Qumran.

      The problem with this claim, of course, is that some of the inkwells
      found at Qumran may themselves have been brought there by Roman
      soldiers; and, in fact, it's not clear if any of the other "Qumran"
      inkwells beyond those found by De Vaux really were found at Qumran
      (want to make a buck? sell an "inkwell from Qumran" on the
      antiquities market).

      In general, inkwells have been dug up in many a site in Israel
      (including villas in Jerusalem) and Jordan; ink was of course needed
      for military and commercial correspondence, drafting of contracts,
      etc. Whether it's two, three, four, five or six makes no difference
      whatsover -- that's simply a rhetorical argument on Goranson's part.

      As for Goranson's argument about how the "elements" may have
      destroyed every single fragment of parchment that one would have
      expected to find in the Qumran site (despite the fact that scrolls
      were dug up at Masada despite the elements there), this is again pure
      speculation rather than a piece of evidence demonstrating any organic
      connection between the scrolls found in the caves and the site.

      Defenders of the Essene theory consistently appeal to such round-
      about arguments to escape from the simple fact that they don't have
      any evidence sectarians lived at Qumran or wrote scrolls there.

      Paul Kessler (New York, NY)

      --- In ANE-2@yahoogroups.com, Eliot Braun <ebraun@...> wrote:

      > For more than 30 years I've been struggling with the problem of
      trying to identify ethnicity in populations through artifactual
      evidence. I'm intrigued by this distinction in inkwells. Please
      explain what is a "Jewish" inkwell and what is a "Roman inkwell"?

      > Eliot Braun, Ph D
      > Ha-oren 12, Har Adar 90836, Israel
      > Tel. 972-2-5345687 / 972-2-5704189
      > Cell: 972-50-223 1096

      Qumran is one
      > of the two most inkwell-rich sites in a wide area and a long
      time, these are
      > still scribal tools. There is no reason to expect writing on
      skin, exposed to
      > elements, fire, and water to survive; such writing surfaces
      survived in caves,
      > some enterable only through the Khirbeh. There was writing in
      Qumran on
      > pottery
      > and stone (published in Humbert and Gunneweg). Qumran is still
      where Pliny's
      > second temple period source (and probably Dio [see Dead Sea
      Discoveries
      > forthcoming] and Solinus) said Essenes lived. Many of the scrolls
      (S, MMT,
      > pesharim etc.) are Essene. Some wish not to accept such facts.
      And there is
      > more information available to historians on Essenes of Qumran and
      elsewhere.

      > Stephen Goranson
      > http://www.duke.edu/~goranson
      > "Jannaeus, His Brother Absalom, and Judah the Essene"
      > Lincoln: "we cannot escape history"

    • George F Somsel
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 2, 2008
        Is anyone aware of the conditions under which the scrolls from Masada were found? It would potentially make considerable difference whether they were put somewhere for safe keeping or had been exposed to the elements. It must be remembered that the finds at Qumran were in jars inside caves. I think the argument was that only the scrolls placed in jars and secreted in the caves survived to be discovered.

        Yes, inkwells would have been needed anywhere correspondence was carried out, but it is only logical that when a numerically greater number of persons are involved in correspondence or in the production of any writings that there would be a greater need for inkwells. I hardly think that each scribe could be expected to walk across the room to another scribe's position to dip his brush. I'm really wondering, however, why you would resort to a hypothesis that the Romans may have introduced some of the inkwells to the site. In that case, perhaps the few inkwells found at other sites were introduced by the Romans as well. The argument that the Romans may have introduced them makes no sense.

        george
        gfsomsel

        defend the truth till death.

        - Jan Hus
        _________

        Roman inkwells = way of avoiding fact that more inkwells were
        found "together on a floor" at Shuafat than in the rubble De Vaux
        identified as the remains of a "scriptorium" at Qumran.

        The problem with this claim, of course, is that some of the inkwells
        found at Qumran may themselves have been brought there by Roman
        soldiers; and, in fact, it's not clear if any of the other "Qumran"
        inkwells beyond those found by De Vaux really were found at Qumran
        (want to make a buck? sell an "inkwell from Qumran" on the
        antiquities market).

        In general, inkwells have been dug up in many a site in Israel
        (including villas in Jerusalem) and Jordan; ink was of course needed
        for military and commercial correspondence, drafting of contracts,
        etc. Whether it's two, three, four, five or six makes no difference
        whatsover -- that's simply a rhetorical argument on Goranson's part.

        As for Goranson's argument about how the "elements" may have
        destroyed every single fragment of parchment that one would have
        expected to find in the Qumran site (despite the fact that scrolls
        were dug up at Masada despite the elements there), this is again pure
        speculation rather than a piece of evidence demonstrating any organic
        connection between the scrolls found in the caves and the site.

        Defenders of the Essene theory consistently appeal to such round-
        about arguments to escape from the simple fact that they don't have
        any evidence sectarians lived at Qumran or wrote scrolls there.

        Paul Kessler (New York, NY)

        --- In ANE-2@yahoogroups. com, Eliot Braun <ebraun@...> wrote:

        > For more than 30 years I've been struggling with the problem of
        trying to identify ethnicity in populations through artifactual
        evidence. I'm intrigued by this distinction in inkwells. Please
        explain what is a "Jewish" inkwell and what is a "Roman inkwell"?

        > Eliot Braun, Ph D
        > Ha-oren 12, Har Adar 90836, Israel
        > Tel. 972-2-5345687 / 972-2-5704189
        > Cell: 972-50-223 1096

      • dastacey62
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 2, 2008
          One of the scrolls was found in a pit beneath the rear room of the
          synagogue (not in a jar); others were found beneath about 2m. of
          debris (also not in jars). So, if at Masaada why not at Qumran?

          David Stacey
          UK

          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 2, 2008
            Thank you for your response. While one might wonder how much protection the debris under which the scrolls were found at Masada would have provided and one might also wonder whether the problem with not finding any such evidence at Qumran was do to its not having been covered with debris, it does quite measurably strenghthen the question regarding why parchment was not found at Qumran which was not in the caves. That seems to be one for the non-scriptorium view.

            george
            gfsomsel

            defend the truth till death.

            - Jan Hus
            _________

            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 2, 2008
              (1) The Masada scrolls were not stored in jars, but were found simply
              in the form of fragments here and there in the excavated ground.

              (2) Only a small portion of the Dead Sea Scrolls (those in cave 1)
              were (apparently) stored in jars, most of them were either buried (as
              in Cave 4) or simply left unprotected (possibly in cloth covers which
              eventually disintegrated) in the caves. So much for Goranson's
              stunning point about the elements.

              (3) I did not resort to the argument about Roman inkwells. Goranson
              resorted to that argument with respect to the Shuafat inkwells, and I
              responded (in part) by pointing out that one could do the same for
              Qumran. Pursuant to your argument, since five inkwells were
              found "together on a floor" at Shuafat, there must have been scribes
              and a scriptorium there, right on that floor! But no one has ever
              argued that there was. (Besides which, as someone else has pointed
              out, pottery was produced at Qumran, why not inkwells too?)

              Paul Kessler (New York, NY)

              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 2, 2008
                George, it's interesting to see that you're amenable to reason on
                this issue. Incidentally, I see you have also expressed some
                interesting views in the comments to this article:
                http://tinyurl.com/ypfgem

                Paul Kessler (New York, NY)

              • dwashbur@nyx.net
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 2, 2008
                  On 2 Jan 2008 at 2:41, George F Somsel wrote:

                  > Is anyone aware of the conditions under which the scrolls from Masada
                  > were found? It would potentially make considerable difference whether
                  > they were put somewhere for safe keeping or had been exposed to the
                  > elements. It must be remembered that the finds at Qumran were in jars
                  > inside caves. I think the argument was that only the scrolls placed in
                  > jars and secreted in the caves survived to be discovered.

                  Only a few of the scrolls found near Qumran (not at Qumran) were in jars. The majority
                  were just tossed in there, seemingly helter-skelter as if there was no concern for their
                  preservation. This is particularly the case with cave 4, where the bulk of scrolls were
                  discovered tossed all over the floor and covered in blown-in dirt, bat guano, and who knows
                  what else.

                  Dave Washburn
                  As a French hippie might say, "Je ne creuse pas!"