Re: Zangenberg aligns himself with Golb's theory

  • kessler_paul
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 1, 2008
      So only "biblical archaeologists" are qualified to study the various
      publications in the field and reach a measured assessment of the
      evidence? How interesting that Golb, who is a historian rather than
      a "biblical archaeologist," should have concluded that Qumran was
      built as a fortress, several years before a series of highly
      reputable professional archaeologists (Hirschfeld, Magen, Peleg...)
      reached the same conclusion.

      Furthermore, how does Joe know that "none of those involved in the
      theoretical physical reconstruction of Qumran" has ever visited
      Israel or Qumran? Does Joe have a log of these people's travels?

      Paul Kessler (New York, NY)

      --- In ANE-2@yahoogroups.com, Joe Zias <joezias@...> wrote:

      > None of the 'German school" which reject the Qumran=Essene
      hypothesis are archaeologists, in fact, one of those involved in the
      theoretical physical reconstruction of Qumran, has never visited IL
      nor Qumran. This should be a cause for concern as to why they may
      support Golb himself, with no experience in biblical archaeology and
      why they gain so much attention from the public who are not aware of
      the personalities and issues involved.

      > Joe Zias
      >
      > Mark Silverman <silverman_mark@...>
      wrote: In other words, Zangenberg has
      now (indirectly?) indicated that he essentially agrees with Golb's
      theory of DSS origins? It seems to be increasingly looking as if a
      growing number of reputable scholars are acknowledging (although
      rarely if ever doing so directly) that Golb has been right in all the
      main points ever since his first article on the topic in the late 70s
      (I think)--what's happening at the site itself--is Qumran still
      being identified by the IAA for the tourists as an "Essene mother
      house" or something?

      > Mark Silverman, Ph.D.
      >
      > kessler_paul <kessler_paul@...>
      wrote: (I initially posted a slightly