Re: Qumran and ignoring evidence

  • kessler_paul
    Message 1 of 42 , Jan 1, 2008
      It's an expansion of her earlier article, "Writings, Ruins, and Their
      Reading: The Dead Sea Scrolls as a Case Study in Theory Formation and
      Scientific Interpretation," Social Research 65.4 (Winter 1998) 839-70.

      Frankly, I was somewhat ambivalent about the article. Generally I
      found it fascinating, indeed I confess it's what first got me
      interested in these issues. On the other hand, she seemed to have
      herself made an assumption that the underlying preassumptions could
      never be defeated. That was before Hirschfeld, Magen and Peleg, Bar-
      Nathan and others came out with works that basically destroyed what
      remained of the "evidentiary" underpinnings of the Qumran-Essene
      theory. A major Israeli scholar once told me that fifty years from
      now the sectarian theory will be remembered as a blunder. So it's an
      interesting idea but at this point I think it's a bit rash to assume
      that the old theory will simply continue to reign despite advances in
      research. From what I understand, the French scholar Andre Caquot
      virtually abandoned his support for the theory shortly before he
      died. And right here on ANE we seem to be witnessing a growing
      impatience with the convoluted reasoning used to justify erroneous
      conclusions of fifty years ago.

      Paul Kessler (New York)

      --- In ANE-2@yahoogroups.com, "K L Noll" <KLNoll@...> wrote:

      > I don't want to intrude too deeply into this discussion, but I read
      this volume recently, found it enlightening, and want to share it
      with listers who are interested in the topic. (Also, I'd welcome
      critical comments on this book from anyone who has read it.)

      > Edna Ullmann-Margalit
      > Out of the Cave: A Philosophical Inquiry into the Dead Sea Scrolls
      Research
      > Cambridge: Harvard University Press, 2006.
      >
      > Happy New Year to all.
      >
      > Shalom,
      > K.L. Noll
      > Brandon University
      > Brandon, Manitoba

    • Dierk van den Berg
      Message 42 of 42 , Jan 14, 2008
        The material culture in ancient Judaism was not group-specific !!!

        Herein I have to agree with Zangenberg et al. In so far Joe has an
        inspired dream, but that's already all.
        Whether or not a KhQ skeleton once belonged to an ancient terrorist
        (and that is what is actually behind the idealizing "Essene" legend)
        or not, we cannot extract simply from the bones, neither by means of
        logic nor with all my heart.

        NB to reach primary school, myself had to cross the local WW-I
        cemetery first, though this doesn't make me Wilheminic, isn't
        it?

        Dierk v/d Berg
        Nijmegen, Holland

        --- In ANE-2@yahoogroups.com, Joe Zias <joezias@...> wrote:

        > Paul Smith asks the following :
        > What do the Qumran cemetery facts
        tell us about the origin and the
        > provenance of the scrolls?
        > The answer is very little but the cemetery tells us an enormous amt
        of info about the people living there who were IMHO , Essenes, who
        fished ,herded, potted ...and in order to get to three scroll caves
        on the plateau one had to cross into their site whether one liked it
        or not.