Re: Qumran and ignoring evidence

  • kessler_paul
    Message 1 of 42 , Dec 31, 2007
      Talk about "bracketing evidence"! Surely we can do better than that,
      Stephen. Virtually all of the claims you repeat here have been
      answered in Golb's book. Many serious scholars have now moved beyond
      those claims, on the basis of the various pieces of evidence that
      Golb put forward. Sure, he made some mistakes here and there, but
      they are hardly important when compared with the decades of
      fallacious reasoning that he exposed.

      Incidentally, here is a review of Golb's book that appeared not on
      Amazon.com, but in Church History: Vol. 64, No.4 (1995), pp. 635-636.

      Who Wrote the Dead Sea Scrolls: The Search for the Secret of Qumran.
      By NORMAN GOLB. New York: Charles Scribner's Sons, 1995. xvi + 446
      pp. $25.00.

      Norman Golb offers here a book-length version of his incisive
      critique of many aspects of the prevailing theories about Khirbet
      Qumran and the scrolls found in its vicinity. This book is "must
      reading" for every historian regardless of her or his period of
      specialization. It demonstrates how a particular interpretation of an
      ancient site and particular readings of ancient documents became a
      straitjacket for subsequent discussion of what is arguably the most
      widely publicized set of discoveries in the history of biblical
      archaeology.

      [Moderator removed copyrighted material]

      More at:
      http://tinyurl.com/ypw96k

      Paul Kessler (New York)

      --- In ANE-2@yahoogroups.com, goranson@... wrote:

      > In my experience of online enthusiasm for Golb's imagined,
      > evidence-less Qumran
      > scenario, I read people--often with multiple pseudonym--bracketing
      off and
      > ignoring evidence, when they are aware of the texts and
      archaeology.
    • Dierk van den Berg
      Message 42 of 42 , Jan 14, 2008
        The material culture in ancient Judaism was not group-specific !!!

        Herein I have to agree with Zangenberg et al. In so far Joe has an
        inspired dream, but that's already all.
        Whether or not a KhQ skeleton once belonged to an ancient terrorist
        (and that is what is actually behind the idealizing "Essene" legend)
        or not, we cannot extract simply from the bones, neither by means of
        logic nor with all my heart.

        NB to reach primary school, myself had to cross the local WW-I
        cemetery first, though this doesn't make me Wilheminic, isn't
        it?

        Dierk v/d Berg
        Nijmegen, Holland

        --- In ANE-2@yahoogroups.com, Joe Zias <joezias@...> wrote:

        > Paul Smith asks the following :
        > What do the Qumran cemetery facts
        tell us about the origin and the
        > provenance of the scrolls?
        > The answer is very little but the cemetery tells us an enormous amt
        of info about the people living there who were IMHO , Essenes, who
        fished ,herded, potted ...and in order to get to three scroll caves
        on the plateau one had to cross into their site whether one liked it
        or not.