New Book

  • Eliot Braun
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 12, 2007
      Dear Colleagues,

      I'm pleased to announce the appearance of a new work by my colleague Prof. Nili Liphschitz of Tel Aviv U:

      TIMBER IN ANCIENT ISRAEL: DENDROARCHAEOLOGY AND DENDROCHRONOLOGY

      (THE EMERY AND CLAIRE YASS PUBLICATIONS IN ARCHAEOLOGY Monograph Series of the Institute of Archaeology Tel Aviv University No. 26)

      Here is the advertisement blurb for it: This study represents the result of a comprehensive investigation of the last three decades and is based, for the first time, on direct evidence derived from archaeological wood remains. The accumulated data make it possible to determine the dominant species prior to man�s interference with nature, and to reconstruct the native primary climax vegetation associations of the various climatic zones of Israel. It allows the earliest signs of cultivation to be traced, when and where the clearance of native vegetation and introduction of new species started, the ubsequent results of this interference in the composition of the primary climax vegetation and where this impact was most effective. The combined evidence from dendroarchaeology, 14C dating, written sources and information on the ecology of living trees has facilitated reconstruction of the history of the arboreal vegetation of Israel during antiquity, and consequently, the macroclimate which prevailed in the various geographic regions of the country in the relevant periods. The book also deals with the exploitation of timber which originated in horticultural fruit trees, presents the timber trade and the import of timbers from abroad during antiquity into Israel, and describes the wooden artefacts found in archaeological excavations. The results of dendrochronological research in Israel are presented and the associated problems discussed. The accuracy of dating by 14C methods is also dealt with.

      ISBN 965-266-024-8 x+190 pages with 34 colour plates. Hard cover.

      As far as I understand information on pricing and how it may be obtained may be found on the website of the Institute of Archaeology, Tel Aviv U.

      Eliot Braun, Ph D
      Ha-oren 12, Har Adar 90836, Israel
      Tel. 972-2-5345687 / 972-2-5704189
      Cell: 972-50-223 1096

    • Sam WOLFF
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 13, 2007
        Maybe I missed it, but I don't recall seeing an announcement of No. 25 in
        the Tel Aviv University Institute of Archaeology series:

        Itzak Beit-Arieh, Horvat Uza and Horvat Radum: Two Fortresses in the
        Biblical Negev. 2007.

        Sam Wolff
        Jerusalem

        Eliot Braun wrote:

        > I'm pleased to announce the appearance of a new work by my colleague Prof.
        > Nili Liphschitz of Tel Aviv U:
        >
        > TIMBER IN ANCIENT ISRAEL: DENDROARCHAEOLOGY AND DENDROCHRONOLOGY
        >
        > (THE EMERY AND CLAIRE YASS PUBLICATIONS IN ARCHAEOLOGY Monograph Series of
        > the Institute of Archaeology Tel Aviv University No. 26)

        named recipient(s) only.
      • eliot braun
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 10, 2008
          I am very pleased to announce the appearance of a new book:

          Maresha Excavations Final Report II: Hellenistic Terracotta Figurines from the 1989-1996 Seasons, by Adi Erlich and Amos Kloner.(IAA Report 35). My guess it is available from the usual sources.

          Eliot Braun, Ph D
          PO Box 21, Har Adar 90836 Israel
          Tel 972-2-5345687, Cell 972-50-2231096
        • Robert Deutsch
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 16, 2008
            Dear List members

            Archaeological Center Publications is pleased to announce the
            publication of a new book:

            The Province Judah and the Jews in Persian Times

            By Michael Heltzer
            Dedicated to Prof. M.A. Dandamayev)

            Archaeological Center Publications, 2008
            274 pages
            Cloth, 24.5 x 17.5 cm.
            ISBN: 965-7162-15-7

            The book contains 30 articles, 29 formerly published,27 in English,
            one in French and two in German), presenting a number of aspects of
            the history of the Province of Judah, the history of the Jews, and
            some problems of the general history of the Persian Achaemenid times
            (539-331 B.C.).

            Price: $60
            Shipping $11

            Sincerely
            Robert Deutsch
            rd@...
          • eliot braun
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 21, 2008
              I am pleased to announce the appearance of a new volume, much of it in Hebrew. I suppose it can be obtained through the publisher or possibly from the Dept of Archaeology, U. of Haifa.

              In the Hill-Country, and in the Shephelah, and in the Arabah (Joshua 12,8): Studies and Researches presented to Adam Zertal in the Thirtieth Anniversary of the Nanassehg Hill-Country Survey.

              Editor in Chief: Shay Bar
              Editing Committee: Ron Beeri, Dror Ben-Yosef, Oren Cohen and Michael Heltzer

              Ariel Publishing House, Jerusalem 2008

              Table of Contents:
              Introduction
              Adam Zertal: A Biograhy
              Adam Zertal: List of Publications
              Abbreviations

              Part One
              Irit Ziffer- The First Adam--Reflection on the 'Ain Ghazal Two-headed Busts
              Dani Nadel--Pre-Pottery Neolithic Settlement Patterns in the Jordan Valley (Between the Sea of Galilee and the Dead Sea)
              Part Two--Peasants, Kings and Prophets (Biblical Archaeology)
              Ram Gophna and Itzhak Paz -- Horvat Shovav--A Fortified Urban Settlement from the Early Bronze Age in the Judaean Shephela
              Oren Cohen--The--The Iron Age "Jar-jug" Ceramic Vessel
              Ze'ev Meshel--A Stamp-Seal from Nahal Boqer--One of the Negev Fortresses
              Chaim Ben David--The Mudayna Sites in Moab--Do they Preserve the Name of Biblical Midian?
              Rami Arav--Bethsaida, the Capital of the Forgotton Kingdom of Geshur: A Portrait of a Biblical Royal City
              Avraham Faust and Zeev Safrai--Changes in Burial Practices in the Land of Israel in Light of the Analysis of Salvage Excavations
              Gabriel Barkay--An Archaeological Evidence of the Conquest of Lachish by Sennacherib
              Rafael Frankel--The Guards of the Wallsl
              Ronny REich--"Sat Upon the Mortar"
              David Amit, Rebecca Cohen-Amin and Rudolph Cohen--Remains from the Iron Age at Hurvat Anim
              Eilat Mazar--Changes in Phoenician Burial Customs from the Assyrian to the Persian Perion, in Light of Achziv Excavations
              Yossi Mizrachi--The Topographical Lists as a Source for the Study of the Egyptian Foreign Activity in the levant during the Reign of Thutmosis III.
              Nili Shupak-- ﬠﬧﬥ שּׁפּﬨיּﬦ An Egyptian Imprint in the Book of Exodus?
              Yehuda Ziv-- Between Endor and Andorra
              Zvi Uri Ma'oz-- "'Al ken ezkercha meEretz Yarden ve Hermonim"
              Yitzhak Avishur--New Readings in Old Biblical _Poetry
              Izabela Jaruzelska--Ahiah the Shilonite and the Legitimacy of Jeroboam's Reign
              Gershon Galil--Polemics and Propaganda in the Deuternomistic History
              Shay Bar--A Group of Figurines from Tell el Muhaffar
              Part Four--Landscape Archaeology
              Yuval Gadot and Yotam Tepper--Man and Environment--Landscape Archaeology at Ramat Menashe
              Yosef Stepansky--Between Hazor and Kinneret: The Corazim Plateau in Biblical Times
              Dror Ben-Yosef--Akko Bay: Hinterland of a Phoenician Commercial City during the Persian Period
              Ofer Sion--The Central Samaria Region in the Byzantine Period
              Part Five--The Menorah and the Cross (Roman and Byzantine Periods)
              Roi Porat and Hanan Eshel--Refuge Caves in the Judaean Desert from the First Jewish Revolt
              Shraga Hashman--Roman Military System in the Jordan Valley, Second-Third Centuries Ce
              Arthur Segal--The Story of the Lost Temple

              ALL OF THE ABOVE IN HEBREW

              ALL BELOW IN THE LANGUAGE OF THE TITLE

              Part Six--Foreign Language Articles
              Haim Winter--Flint Tools Early in History--A Perspective from Tel Nami, Mount Ebal and el-Ahwat
              Rachel Hachlili--Cherub, Sphinx and Tetrad in Ancient Art
              Nili Liphschitz--Reconstruction of the Arboreal Vegetation of the Judaean and Samarian Mountains during Antiquity as evident from Archaeological Wood Remains.
              Hans-Gunter Bucholz--Bemerkungen zur ostmediterran-vorderasiatischen Schlangen-Ikonographie
              Michael Heltzewr-- A New Look at the nebel Measure
              Ran Zadok--The Quarters of Borsippa
              Dina Shalem--The Upper and Lower Galilee in the Late Chalcolit5hic Period
              Assaf Yasur-Landau--Achish in the Bronze Age
              Eli Yannai, Amir Gorzalczany and Karem Saed-Some Jugs and Jeglets from the Syrian/Lebanese Coast, Imported to the Land of Israel during the Middle and Late Bronze Ages.
              Baruch Brandl--From Milos-Phylokapi to Khirbet ed-Der: Additional Observations on a Canaanite Group of Bifacial Rectangular Plaques
              Giovany Ugas--El-Ahwat e gli Shardana nel Vicino Oriente
              Andre Lemaire--Nouveau sceau fiscal Phenicien et la Galilee au IVe s.av. J.-C.
              Ron Beeri-Hellenistic Akko
              Moshe Hartal--The Use of Pottery as a Tool for the Definition of Provincial Borders
              Yinon Shivtiel--Cliff Settlements and Refuge Caves in the Galilee
              Liora Koska Horwitz--From Foot to Function: Fauna and Bone Tools from Roman-Byzantine Horvat Hazan
              Kate Raphael--A Thousand Arrowheads from the Crusader Fortress at Vadum Iacob

              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 8, 2009
                Dear list members

                We are glad to announce a new book published by Prof Yitzhak Avishur of Haifa University

                "A Dictionary of the New Judeo-Arabic Written and Spoken in Iraq
                (1600-2000)" Volume One(Alef - Zain)(Hebrew)

                Archaeological Center Publication
                Tel Aviv-Jaffa
                2008
                mail@...

                Price $90 (+Shipping)
              • Lisbeth S. Fried
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 26, 2009
                  Dear All,

                  Prof. Herbert Basser requested that I post this to the various lists.

                  (My apologies for cross-posting.)

                  Lisbeth S. Fried

                  Ann Arbor

                  The Mind Behind the Gospels: A Commentary to Matthew Chapters 1-14
                  by Herbert Basser
                  Cloth: ISBN 978-1-934843-33-8, 396 pp. $69.00
                  Paper: ISBN 978-1-934843-34-5, 396 pp. $35.00
                  Review copies available upon request.
                  Topic Areas: New Testament Studies, Bible Studies, Talmudic Studies
                  Level: Undergraduate or Graduate

                  Publisher: ACADEMIC STUDIES PRESS

                  the Gospel in his study of Matthew through the lens of Jewish texts. These
                  texts, skillfully interpreted by Basser, illuminate the powerful poetry and
                  mystery behind much of Matthew’s genius in reworking evangelist’s sources.
                  These Jewish materials provide a creative, cultural way of thinking about
                  what God expects from human beings that is infused with the words and images
                  of Matthew. Basser shows how Jewish idioms and artistry move the speeches,
                  story, and figure of Jesus, through various layers of Church tradition, from
                  a Jewish preacher to a Gentile savior. Each chapter of commentary is
                  preceded by a preliminary discussion and the book is introduced by a
                  scholarly yet accessible preface and introduction discussing the
                  methodological issues of the commentary as a whole. In many ways, this book
                  deepens Basser’s initial views of the New Testament in his Studies in
                  Exegesis, Leiden and Boston, E.J. Brill, 2000. The present book will appeal
                  to a broad audience of knowledgeable readers of any or no faith
                  For more information or to order, please see our website at
                  <http://www.academicstudiespress.com> www.academicstudiespress.com or email
                  us at <mailto:sales@...>
                  sales@....

                • eliot braun
                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 8, 2009
                    Dear Colleagues,
                      I am very pleased to announce a new IAA publication. I assume it can be obtained directly from the IAA or through its distributors.

                    Salvage Excavations at Tel Moza: The Bronze and Iron Age Settlements and Later Occupations

                    Zvi Greenhut and Alon de Groot

                    IAA Reports 39

                    Ch. 1: Introduction: Z. Greenhut and Eldad Barzilay
                    Ch. 2: The Excavations—Stratigraphy and Architecture: Z. Greenhut
                    Ch. 3: The Pottery—Zvi Greenhut and Alon de Groot
                    Volume Estimation of Four Iron Age Holemouth Jars: Elena Zapassky
                    Ch. 4: The Iron Age Clay Figurines and a Possible Scale Weight: Marie Petersson-Solimany and Raz Kletter
                    Ch.5: Glyptics, Impressed and Incised Sherds, and Engraved Inscriptions: Baruch Brandl, Zvi Greenhut and Daniel Vainstub
                                A conoid Stamp Seal: Baruch Brandl
                                A Scaraboid Stamp Seal: Zvi Greenhut
                                Impressed and Incised Sherds: Zvi Greenhut
                                Engraved Inscriptions: Daniel Vainstub
                    Ch. 6: The Egyptian-Blue Scepter Head: Zvi Greenhut and Irina Segal
                    Ch. 7: The Loom Weights: Orit Shamir
                                Some Technical Aspects: Elisheva Kamaiski
                    Ch. 8: The Groundstone Assemblage: Anna Eirikh-Rose
                    Ch. 9: The Small Finds: Zvi Greenhut
                    Ch. 10: The Archaeozoological Remains: Moshe Sade
                    Ch. 11: Radiocarbon Dating: Elisabetta Boaretto
                    Ch. 12Tel Moza in Context: Zvi Greenhut and Alon de Groot

                    Eliot Braun, Ph D
                    PO Box 21, Har Adar 90836 Israel
                    Tel 972-2-5345687, Cell 972-50-2231096

                  • Thomas L. Thompson
                    Message 9 of 10 , Oct 26, 2011
                      I am pleased to announce that the latest book of the Copenhagen International Seminar series was published this morning:

                      Philippe Wajdenbaum, Argonauts of the Desert: Structural Analysis of the Hebrew Bible (Sheffield: Equinox, 2011) £60.

                      Thomas

                      Thomas L. Thompson
                      General Editor, CIS
                      University of Copenhagen
                    • eliot braun
                      Message 10 of 10 , Feb 19, 2014
                        Some list members may find this new volume of interest.
                        Gideon Avni has written a tome dealing with the Byz-Islamic Transition in Palestine.
                        Below is a link to see the cover, etc.

                        http://ukcatalogue.oup.com/product/9780199684335.do