Re: Newsweek: Archeology vs. Ideology -- In Jerusalem, digging into the past only fuels the fight over the future.

  • Joe Zias
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 4, 2007
      There's a lot of truth in this article as to how archaeology in Jerusalem is highly politicized, unlike the rest of the country. Unfortunately, the situation is so bad that each side is involved, totally ignoring the interests of the profession itself. Gibson, in a way is right. There's a certain irony here however which hasn't been discussed. In the City of David excavations several years back one of the right wing organizations funded the dig around the water tunnel, hoping to show that during the Israelite period, the engineering there was something to behold. Lo and behold, the excavators found out that the Israelite water system, was 'small change' compared to the magnificent water system built during the Cannanite period centuries earlier. Fortunately the archaeologists from the IAA and those responsible for the arch. there treated it with utmost respect. investing a small fortune for public viewing.

      On a more personal level, which shows the politicization of Jerusalem arch, several years ago I accidentally discovered an inscription atop the famous tomb of Absalom which is very near the City of David where all this highly politicized digging is taking place. As the inscription was ca 10 meters in the air and difficult to read, funding was needed to complete the project. The East Jerusalem Development Corp. along with a US Foundation (The Foundation for Biblical Archaeology) readily funded the project, unfortunately funding wise, the Greek inscription mentioned that this was the tomb of Zachariah the father of John the Baptist. So what was believed to be a Jewish tomb, now has an inscription from the 4th century showing that they believed that it was a Christian tomb. In the meantime, we discovered additional inscriptions along the original entrance and I turned again to the city of Jerusalem for funding. Unfortunately, the mayor of Jerusalem Olmert, had left his
      position to become a member of the kenesset, only to be replaced by a hasidic mayor. When I approached those funding the project, I was told that as it showed a Christian presence in Jerusalem, for political /religious reasons, the chance of obtaining funding was nil. Therefore I approached one of the largest Christian organizations in Israel for help, and they too turned us down, I had the feeling that they too were a bit reluctant to get involved in the politics of archaeology here in the City of David. In the end I received additional funding from the TFBA and with my own personal funds, funded phase II of the project which provided us with what may be the earliest NT inscription (Luke 2:25) carved in stone. I'm sure that had we found inscriptions saying that this was the tomb of Absalom instead of Zachariah the father of John the Baptist, ironically both of which were 100 % Jewish, funding would have been flowing in. Unfortunately, when it comes to the politics of
      Jerusalem, too many people in the Holy City, love god with all their heart and hate their neighbor with all their soul. Fortunately few of those in archaeological community subscribe to this maxim, whereas too many organizations funding the archaeology of Jerusalem do.

      Joe Zias

      "Joseph I. Lauer" <josephlauer@...> wrote: Dr. Jim West mentioned the following article on the ANE-2 and biblical-studies list, and posted comments on his blog at http://drjimwest.wordpress.com/2007/12/03/is-it-ideology-or-archaeology/.
      I'm forwarding the article even though, unlike Dr. West, I think it's biased and hope that Shimon Gibson's call for a hold on excavations is ignored.

      ***************************
      http://www.newsweek.com/id/72494

      Newsweek
      Nov 27, 2007 - Updated: 1:34 p.m. ET Nov 27, 20

      Middle East

      Archeology vs. Ideology

      In Jerusalem, digging into the past only fuels the fight over the future.

      By Kevin Peraino and Joanna Chen
      Newsweek Web Exclusive
      Daniel Luria likes to refer to himself as a "holy real-estate agent." As a fund-raiser for Israel's right-wing Ateret Cohanim organization, he considers it his mission to persuade Jews to settle in predominantly Arab East Jerusalem. As he walks with a NEWSWEEK reporter through the Muslim quarter of the Old City, he turns a corner and the glittering gold Dome of the Rock rises into view. "This is a drawcard street," he says, gesturing down the corridor. "It's always a winner." He stops at a bustling, Jewish-owned construction site just steps from the Islamic prayer house, peers past a coil of barbed wire, and points to a dark cavity below the building's floor. Underneath, he explains, archeologists hired by the owner have unearthed stretches of a late-Roman street and parts of an Ottoman bathhouse. "If you can expose your roots, why shouldn't you go down to the bedrock?" he asks. "From a Jewish ideological perspective, it's a must."
      In the apartment next door, however, Fatma Asala doesn't share Luria's enthusiasm for archeology. The 33-year-old Muslim schoolteacher points to a web of cracks in her bedroom ceiling and complains that the rumble of the compressors next door shakes the whole house. Sometimes, she insists, it sounds as if the clang and whirr of the power tools is coming from directly beneath her floor. Occasionally she wakes up and finds her face covered with a thin layer of concrete dust and flecks of white paint that have fallen from her ceiling. (She calls it her "morning makeup.") For now, she explains, the excavation is a mere inconvenience. Yet she knows from experience that even a perceived threat to the nearby holy sites can ignite riots among the young Muslim men in her neighborhood, as it did in 2000 when Ariel Sharon's visit played a key role in touching off the second intifada. If the excavation continues, she predicts, "I expect shooting. I expect a real war."
      A conflict in the Old City is the last thing Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice needs right now. For the first time since the failure of the Camp David plan to divide Jerusalem in 2000, policymakers have begun to talk seriously again about a compromise on the city, which both Israelis and Palestinians claim as their capital. Last month Haim Ramon, a close confidant of Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert, floated the notion that a division of the city might be possible —a concession that was once unmentionable in the Jewish state. Yet even as Rice, Olmert and Arab leaders talk in Annapolis, Maryland, Jerusalem's potentially destabilizing excavation boom goes on. According to the Israel Antiquities Authority (IAA), there are roughly twice as many digs in and around the Old City as there were two years ago, including at least three adjacent to the holy sites. "Archeology is being turned into a bastardized ideological tool of national struggle, and the timing could
      not be worse," says Jerusalem rights lawyer Danny Seidemann. "This is precisely the kind of thing that causes Jerusalem to ignite."
      Archeology has long been a key battleground for two peoples searching for ammunition in a war of national narratives. Yet as the city expands, it has also become a commercial imperative. Most new building projects in or near the Old City require a "salvage excavation" to ensure that construction work won't damage buried artifacts. New owners, in some cases right-wing trusts linked to Ateret Cohanim and other settler organizations, can choose to hire archeologists from the IAA to complete the actual dig. "In the last year there's been a huge amount of work around the Old City," says Jon Seligman, the IAA's Jerusalem regional archeologist, who adds that the proliferation of digs is the result of "a series of projects that reached fruition at the same time." Seidemann speculates that the archeology boom might be the result of a concerted effort by Israeli ideologues to tighten their hold on the city and its history. "They're using archeology, parks and government
      authority to establish their particular brand of hegemony in and around the Old City," he says.
      Israeli hawks are unapologetic about the new digs. "Every time you put a shovel in the ground, you discover another synagogue," says former prime minister Benjamin Netanyahu, who opposes dividing Jerusalem. "Archeological truths are uncomfortable, like other truths." Yet even some archeologists are concerned that all the new "salvage operations" risk politicizing the science. Prominent Israeli archeologist Shimon Gibson says that there has been only one excavation that had "academic motives" in the past 20 years. "Clearly, there's a lot of money going into these excavations that comes from Jewish sources," Gibson says. "Perhaps the time has come to put a hold on these salvage operations and their dubious funding."
      Other archeologists argue that some Muslim-controlled digs are just as problematic. Eilat Mazar, of Jerusalem's Hebrew University, complains that a new dig by the Islamic Waqf, which manages the site of the Dome of the Rock, risks damaging relics on what Jews refer to as the Temple Mount. She bemoans the fact that heavy equipment like tractors was used in the recent dig. "I'm really astonished at their stupidity," she says. For their part, the site's custodians refuse to even consider the criticisms of Israeli archeologists. "This is a mosque," says Yussef Natsheh, an art historian whose Old City office is adjacent to the dome. "Archeological laws do not apply to our site." Among God's real-estate agents, it seems, there is no monopoly on self-righteousness.

      http://www.newsweek.com/media/28/071127_Archaeology_wide-horizontal.jpg

      David Blumenfeld for Newsweek
      Uncovering History: An archeological dig near the Western Wall and the Dome of the Rock in Jerusalem

      © 2007 Newsweek.com

      Joe Zias www.joezias.com
      Anthropology/Paleopathology

      Science and Antiquity Group - Jerusalem
      Jerusalem, Israel

    • Yitzhak Sapir
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 4, 2007
        On Dec 4, 2007 12:08 PM, Joe Zias wrote:
        > There's a lot of truth in this article as to how archaeology in Jerusalem is highly politicized,
        > unlike the rest of the country. Unfortunately, the situation is so bad that each side is
        > involved, totally ignoring the interests of the profession itself. Gibson, in a way is right.

        What is untrue is the comparison between archaeological digs and the
        "dig" on the Temple
        Mount. At least Mazar carefully recorded everything she did, in a way
        which allows
        Finkelstein et. al to reinterpret the evidence. What record is left
        that allows scientific
        evaluation of the joint Waqf-IAA dig on the Temple Mount?

        Also, contrary to the quoted art historian, archaeological laws apply
        to the Temple Mount.
        This includes local Israeli laws as well as international laws, where
        the entire Old City is
        considered a World Heritage in Danger site: http://whc.unesco.org/en/158

        Yitzhak Sapir
      • Antonio Lombatti
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 6, 2007
          Nice photos and a video on the Second Temple building remains found in
          Jerusalem can been seen here:

          http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/124482

          http://www.infolive.tv/en/infolive.tv-15108-israelnews-massive-complex-dating-70-ad-uncovered-near-old-citys-dung-gate

          Antonio Lombatti