Canaanite List

  • Yitzhak Sapir
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 2, 2007
      Dear all,

      I would like to invite you all to a new discussion list that I created --
      Canaanite! This discussion list will concentrate on the Canaanite family
      of languages, which for the purposes of the list includes Phoenician, Punic
      Neo-Punic, Ugaritic, all varieties of ancient Hebrew (even Mishnaic and Late
      Samaritan Hebrew), but not Modern Hebrew, and other attested 1st and 2nd
      millennium Canaanite dialects, including Amarna Canaanite, Ammonite,
      etc. I suppose that a major topic of discussion -- if the list takes
      off -- would
      be Biblical Hebrew, as would academically oriented discussions of Biblical
      passages. However, I really hope that similar discussions of Ugaritic or
      Phoenician would also take place. Thus, the recent discussions on ANE-2,
      where Phoenician ZYB vs Hebrew ZW or where Ugaritic vs Hebrew RP? were
      discussed would really have benefited from more expert input from scholars
      in those fields. This list would also form an important needed discussion
      list of one major subfamily of Northwest Semitic -- the other being covered by
      the Aramaic list.

      So like I said, I invite everyone to join! You can do so with this link:

      Also, if any scholars in relevant fields would like to take part in
      moderation of
      the list, and feel they have the time and resources to do so, please
      feel free to
      contact me privately in that regard.

      Best,
      Yitzhak Sapir