Ugaritic query

  • MiguelValério
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 2, 2007
      Dear all,

      According to Tropper (1994) "Die Ugaritische Konsonanteninventar." Journal of North-west Semitic Languages 20/2, pp. 31-33, the Ugaritic s was pronounced approximately as an affricate /ts/. Thus, the pronunciation of a word such as srn 'prince, PN' (> Akkadian suranu) should be /tsuranu/. Is there any evidence that this Ugaritic s was ever pronounced (for instance, in a specific dialect) as /s/?

      Thanks very much in advance,

      Miguel Valério
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 2, 2007
        See his big grammar pp. 102-104, 40-50. He follows the new view (due to Alice Faber) that PSem *s was [ts]; he claims that during the attested lifetime of Ugaritic it became [s] in some environments -- and that the added letter {s3} was invented to mark [ts] because {s} had come to mark [s].

        I don't think this view has found much support.

        According to Tropper (1994) "Die Ugaritische Konsonanteninventar ." Journal of North-west Semitic Languages 20/2, pp. 31-33, the Ugaritic s was pronounced approximately as an affricate /ts/. Thus, the pronunciation of a word such as srn 'prince, PN' (> Akkadian suranu) should be /tsuranu/. Is there any evidence that this Ugaritic s was ever pronounced (for instance, in a specific dialect) as /s/?
      • Miguel Valerio
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 3, 2007
          Thank you very much for the useful information. Might I ask - in case
          you know - why hasn't this view found support?

          Best regards,

          Miguel Valério

          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 3, 2007
            The usual supposition regarding {s3} is that it was devised for writing some Hurrian sibilant that doesn't occur in Semitic. Tropper doesn't seem to address the Hurrian use of Ugaritic script.