Re: [ANE-2] taking sherds from sites in Israel?

  • Joe Zias
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 2, 2007
      Collecting sherds or what is also known as 'sherding' has been illegal ever since I can remember as surface surveys are an important part of the profession. In fact, some scholars believe that areas should be rechecked every 25 yrs of so as new material resurfaces from time to time. This is done in a systematic way by trained scholars and published which is why we forbid it (tourists/collectors) according to the antiquities law. As for the City of David dig, this is not sherding in the sense that the pottery was cleaned, 'read' and what was of no scientific or commercial value simply piled outside the dig by the road so that individuals could take a piece of pottery from the City of David home. It was hoped that this sherd would reduce the need for the tourists to buy something from the dealers which in many instances was obtained illegally. The tourists were not greedy in the sense that they usually took but one sherd which was then 'read' by the tourist guide, if he
      knew pottery, until one 'entrepreneur' decided to remove the whole pile which in a short time was advertised for sale on the pages of BAR. As a result, within the IAA, after pottery restoration, the sherds were buried in a safe place to prevent any 'repeat performances'. I, as a tourist guide, like many other guides familiar with the needs of the profession explained to the public that archaeological sites are not 'born again' and every illegal activity eventually means a loss to history. They usually understood.

      Joe Zias (AKA tourist guide)

      cejo@... wrote: Dear Joe and others,

      Joe wrote on Monday, Nov. 26th:

      "...I and many other colleagues used to take tourists as a tour guide to the City of David
      excavations to collect sherds which had been put aside by the archaeologist, the late Yigal
      Shiloh. This was done to provide the foreign visitor/volunteer/institutions coming to the site
      something which came from a controlled excavation and as I volunteered there from time to time I
      and others looked upon this as a positive step. Many sites at this time had piles of shards which,
      having been discarded after study, were set aside for this purpose..."

      Can you clarify? Are you saying that Shiloh as well as other excavators, allowed visitors to take
      excavated archaeological materials away from sites with them? Is / was this practice common in
      Israel? Was it legal at the time? Is it legal now?

      Thanks,

      -Chuck Jones-

      Joe Zias www.joezias.com
      Anthropology/Paleopathology

      Science and Antiquity Group - Jerusalem
      Jerusalem, Israel

    • arenmaeir
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 2, 2007
        Although at present this is against the Israeli antiquities law, I
        for one would be very happy if licensed archaeological excavations
        were permitted by law to sell discarded pottery sherds (meaning body
        sherds that have been collected in official survey and excavations,
        washed, "read," and discarded as of no use), which in the current
        situation we "rebury" on site in a "sherd graveyard" (sic transit
        gloria mundi). I would gladly sell them (or in fact, even give them
        away) as souvenirs to tourists, to supporters, etc., which might
        provide us with another, even if limited, source of income for our
        scientific endeavors.

        Clearly though, in light of the current legal status, I do not do
        this ...

        On the other hand, if someone is interested in funding the
        excavations without having to give out sherds - I'd be happy to
        accept funds in other ways :-)

        Aren Maeir
        gath.wordpress.com
      • Clark Whelton
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 2, 2007
          Joe Zias

          My house is built on land that was settled by Dutch colonists in the 17th
          century CE. For years my wife has been telling me that in the spring she
          finds shards of old potttery, fragments of glass, clay tobacco pipes, nails,
          oyster shells, buttons etc. that emerge from the earth during the winter
          months. This seemed unlikely to me, but for the last three autumns I have
          raked specific areas clean. In the spring, sure enough, shards and other
          old objects can be found on the surface. How and why this happens I have no
          idea. Perhaps it's the frost. But I would suggest checking the surface of
          archaeologically important areas more frequently than every 25 years.

          Clark Whelton
          New York
        • arenmaeir
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 2, 2007
            Clearly, one must revisit sites every few years if you want to start
            understanding it. Experienced archaeological surveyers know that to get
            a good "sherding representation" you have to return to a site several
            times during the period of a regional survey. At different times of the
            year (so as to get site exposure with different types of vegetation
            coverage, etc.) and over a period of more than a year, so as to benefit
            from various geomorphological changes. Surveys based on a one time
            visit to sites in a given region, although without a doubt revealing
            important evidence, represent only a small portion of the information
            that is available on surface. In fact, very often, surveys with the
            best information are those conducted over extended periods (in some
            cases, decades), usualy by a local afficianados, in which sites are re-
            visited time and again and one gets a truly in-depth knowledge of a
            region, even if extensive excavations are not conducted.

            Aren
          • Eliot Braun
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 3, 2007
              "Sherding" or any removal of antiquities from sites should never be done by anyone unless she or he is licensed to do so and unless there is an archaeological report published on it. Each successive removal removes something of the archaeological profile of the site and, ipso facto, diminishes it. Casual collectors should be discouraged. I would recommend, for those who still would like the thrill of discovery and the excitement of finding ancient artifacts on visits to sites to try using a a digital camera, especially with macro capabilities and take photos of objects picked up and placed back where they were found as soon as they are examined. The array of surface material is just as important as its presence on a site (see: Robert McCormick Adams' Land Behind Baghdad and the Uruk Countryside).

              My other suggestion is that, should some very special object be found and the finder is capable of overcoming the lust of collecting, that its place be noted. Then it should be turned over to whatever legal authority is in charge of the site and responsible for curating its antiquities.

              Eliot Braun, Ph D, masquerading as Dr Pangloss
              Ha-oren 12, Har Adar 90836, Israel
              Tel. 972-2-5345687 / 972-2-5704189
              Cell: 972-50-223 1096

              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 3, 2007
                > ...The array of surface material is just as
                > important as its presence on a site (see: Robert McCormick Adams' Land Behind Baghdad and
                > the Uruk Countryside).

                Which reminds me to remind you all of:

                Robert McCormick Adams: Land Behind Baghdad
                http://www.etana.org/abzu/coretext.pl?RC=20303

                Robert McCormick Adams: The Uruk Countryside
                http://www.etana.org/abzu/coretext.pl?RC=20309

                Robert McCormick Adams: Heartland of cities
                http://www.etana.org/abzu/coretext.pl?RC=20243

                -Chuck Jones-