"Iraqi Libraries and Archives in Peril: Survival in a time of Invasion, Chaos, and Civil Conflict, A Report. 2007"

  • cejo@uchicago.edu
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 1, 2007
      Iraqi Libraries and Archives in Peril: Survival in a time of Invasion, Chaos, and Civil Conflict, A Report. 2007, by Jeff Spurr.

      academic libraries and principal archives in the post-Saddam, post-invasion, post-looting period. It is an update of Indispensable
      yet Vulnerable: The Library in Dangerous Times. A Report on the Status of Iraqi Academic Libraries, and a Survey of Efforts to
      Assist Them, with Historical Introduction, posted to the IraqCrisis/Middle East Librarians Association website in July 2005. A
      reading of history suggests the role that libraries have played as a barometer for the status of civilization, revealing that a
      flourishing and developing society has always been one that privileged libraries, despite destructive and totalitarian episodes.
      Perhaps because of their importance, such critical cultural institutions have been especially vulnerable when power has been
      exercised arbitrarily, or when those seeking it have resorted to violent means to achieve their ends, or when the normal controls
      imposed by authority have been overthrown. This condition applies as well to contemporary Iraq as anywhere. That Iraq's
      principal libraries and archives are in such a desperate state is a critical symptom of the profound crisis facing this nation and its
      people. One cause of this plight is the horrifying phenomenon of looting subsequent to the 2003 invasion, to which Iraqi libraries
      owe much of their present condition, and which receives a close look in this report."
      Publication Year: 2007
      Type of Material: Article
      Publisher: ArchNet
      Place of Publication: Cambridge
      Online access: http://archnet.org/library/documents/one-document.jsp?document_id=10241

      -Chuck Jones-
    • Heleanor Feltham
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 1, 2007
        The situation is appalling, but far from a new one. May I recommend chapter VII, The complaint of books against wars, in The 'Philobiblon' of Richard de Bury, written in the early C14th and available on-line at: http://www.gutenberg.org/catalog/world/readfile?fk_files=36410 ? It is as valid a bibliophile's grief now as then.

        Heleanor Feltham