Sad News: J. Richard Steffy

  • Ralph Pedersen
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 29, 2007
      Sad News: J. Richard Steffy

      I pass on this news to the ANE list as there are
      several alums of the nautical program on the list.

      For those who may not know, Dick Steffy was the
      pioneer in the field of shipwreck reconstruction,
      responsible for the reconstruction of the hull of the
      11th century "Glass Wreck", as well as being a key
      player in many other projects, including the Kyrenia
      wreck and its replica (working until now on the final
      publication of the wreck with Susan Katzev), the
      Athlit ram, etc.

      A great loss to archaeology and to friends and
      students:

      It is with great sadness that we inform that J.
      Richard Steffy died
      last
      night around 2 AM.

      We will miss him. Always gentle, always funny and
      witty, always ready to help, he was the spirit of the
      Nautical Archaeology Program and its main stay in so
      many ways.

      We all looked up to him as an example of a scholar and
      a gentleman. He took his work so seriously – he
      was one of the best in our field – and yet he
      always made time for students and colleagues,
      correcting our ignorant remarks with patience and
      kindness.

      This is a particularly sad loss for all of us in the
      Nautical Archaeology Program, but it is also a
      devastating loss for the field of nautical
      archaeology because his mind was as fresh as ever, and
      he was not done with the field.

      Filipe Castro and Wayne Smith.

      Ralph K. Pedersen, Ph.D.
      Whittlesey Chair Visiting Assistant Professor
      American University of Beirut

      Visit http://www.wedigboats.org

    • finckean
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 30, 2007
        Dear Bob,
        Since you worked on the volume, could you answer the following
        questions stimulated by a read through the introduction:
        1) What does "The overall goal has been ... to read the entire SB
        recension in class" (p. x) mean? In the classroom?
        2) What does "The composite text is based on a score translation" (p.
        xi) mean?
        Finally, to what do the numbers in the fourth column of the Sign List
        refer?
        Thank you,
        Andrew Fincke