The Virtual Qumran Project

  • Jim West
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 29, 2007
      List folk may well find this to be of interest:

      Bob Cargill has updated the <a
      href="http://virtualqumran.blogspot.com/2007/11/announcements-from-virtualqumrancom.html">Virtual
      Qumran Blog</a> with a bit of great news for those interested in his
      work. First, he writes

      <em>The Qumran Visualization Project is preparing to launch the latest
      version of its digital reconstruction of Qumran. In addition, <a
      href="http://www.virtualqumran.com/">VirtualQumran.com</a> will make
      this latest version of the Virtual Qumran model available to the public
      for download to your computer. You’ll be able to navigate the
      reconstructed settlement from the comfort of your own home, office, or
      classroom</em>.

      And second,

      Qumran: A Virtual Reality Tour</span></strong> is nearing completion.
      The original, unpublished script is almost complete, and the
      high-definition graphics are re-rendered and optimized for viewing in
      HD. The movie is based upon the UCLA <a
      href="http://www.virtualqumran.com/">Qumran Visualization Project</a>’s
      digital model of Qumran, and takes the viewer on a tour of the
      reconstructed settlement of Khirbet Qumran. It offers a history of the
      archaeological excavation of the site and the surrounding caves, and
      discusses the different theories concerning the nature and expansion of
      Qumran. This film is an updated and expanded version of the
      live-narration movie playing at the <a
      href="http://www.sdnhm.org/scrolls">San Diego Natural History Museum</a>
      as a part of their exhibition of the Dead Sea Scrolls. Stay tuned for
      information about the Spring 2008 release date and availability</em>.

      --
      ++++++++++++++++

      Jim West, ThD

      http://drjimwest.wordpress.com
      http://drjewest.googlepages.com
    • kessler_paul
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 24, 2007
        And, again great news for those interested in the Virtual Qumran
        project, Norman Golb has reviewed Mr. Cargill's film script here:

        http://oi.uchicago.edu/pdf/san_diego_virtual_reality_2007.pdf

        --- In ANE-2@yahoogroups.com, Jim West <jwest@...> wrote:

        > List folk may well find this to be of interest:
        >
        > Bob Cargill has updated the <a
        > href="http://virtualqumran.blogspot.com/2007/11/announcements-from-
        virtualqumrancom.html">Virtual
        > Qumran Blog</a> with a bit of great news for those interested in
        his
        > work. First, he writes
        >
        > <em>The Qumran Visualization Project is preparing to launch the
        latest
        > version of its digital reconstruction of Qumran. In addition, <a
        > href="http://www.virtualqumran.com/">VirtualQumran.com</a> will
        make
        > this latest version of the Virtual Qumran model available to the
        public
        > for download to your computer. You'll be able to navigate the
        > reconstructed settlement from the comfort of your own home, office,
        or
        > classroom</em>.
        >
        > And second,
        >
        > <em>The digital movie <strong><span style="font-style:
        italic">Ancient

        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 24, 2007
          Weeks ago. And does a poor job of it.

          kessler_paul wrote:
          > And, again great news for those interested in the Virtual Qumran
          > project, Norman Golb has reviewed Mr. Cargill's film script here:
          >
          > http://oi.uchicago.edu/pdf/san_diego_virtual_reality_2007.pdf
          --
          ++++++++++++++++

          Jim West, ThD

          http://drjimwest.wordpress.com
          http://drjewest.googlepages.com
        • Dierk van den Berg
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 25, 2007
            --- In ANE-2@yahoogroups.com, "kessler_paul" <kessler_paul@...> wrote:

            > And, again great news for those interested in the Virtual Qumran
            > project, Norman Golb has reviewed Mr. Cargill's film script here:
            >
            > http://oi.uchicago.edu/pdf/san_diego_virtual_reality_2007.pdf

            As long as 'the exile' of the Sectarians is triumphantly proclaimed
            as a mere spiritual event, the opposing hypotheses of local scroll
            production (Kh. Qumran vs Jerusalem, i.e. Groningen- vs Goblin
            theory) actually fool the reader of the ancient texts in question and
            his/her ability to read. In so far the today skirmish in the
            aftermath of ‘the war’ has indeed a certain entertainment value,
            though beyond any demands on historicity.

            Just my two cents.

            Dierk v/d Berg
            Nijmegen Nl
          • kessler_paul
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 26, 2007
              Jim,
              On the contrary, it seems to be an extremely important article.
              How do you explain the misleading statements and factual errors Golb
              identifies throughout the script, such as the claim that more
              inkwells were found in the hypothesized "scriptorium" of Qumran than
              anywhere else in Israel, which turns out to be false? Why was such a
              claim made in the script?

              Paul Kessler (New York, NY)

            • dwashbur@nyx.net
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 2, 2008
                Paul Kessler,
                I attempted to reply to your offlist message but your spam blocker bounced my message.

                To the list: apologies for the off-subject message, didn't know what else to do.

                Dave Washburn
                As a French hippie might say, "Je ne creuse pas!"