Re: [ANE-2] Re: Shades

  • Yitzhak Sapir
    Message 1 of 22 , Nov 28, 2007
      On Nov 28, 2007 6:43 PM, Rolf Furuli wrote:

      > As for RP)/RPH, it can refer to living people in Ugaritic (Danel was
      > the man of RP)) and Hebrew (a family of tall people). In both
      > languages RP) is also associated with death. However, in Ugaritic
      > texts I have not been able to locate a single instance where the word
      > refers to ghosts or disembodied spirits, and the same is true in the
      > Hebrew Bible. In the entry RP)YM in HALOT we find the meaning "dead
      > spirits," and in my view, this is an excellent example of a fallacy
      > pointed out by Barr (I will not call it "the etymological fallacy"
      > but rather "the theological fallacy" or "the fallacy of tradition").
      > I am not aware of any traces of "ghosts" or "disembodied spirits" in
      > the Hebrew texts where RP)/RPH occurs. My guess is that the word
      > refers to "the weak ones; the powerless ones" i.e., that it is
      > synonymous with MTYM "the dead".

      See also here:
      http://lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/b-hebrew/2002-December/014491.html
      http://www.arts.ualberta.ca/JHS/reviews/review190.htm

      The book in the second link might also provide you with some additional
      bibliography, and you might want to look up some biblical and related
      dictionaries too -- ABD, DDD, etc. A lot of literature has been published
      on this very subject and it should be consulted for any type of discussion
      that deals with the subject.

      Yitzhak Sapir