Re: The month of ZYB (KAI 288)

  • Tory Thorpe
    Message 1 of 23 , Nov 26, 2007
      --- In ANE-2@yahoogroups.com, "Dean Snyder" <dean.snyder@...> wrote:

      > torythrp wrote at 10:15 PM on Sunday, November 18, 2007:
      >
      > >The only thing ZW and ZYB have in common is Z.
      >
      > Actually, these words have more in common than just Z.
      >
      > Here is a list of what they have in common.
      >
      > 1) At a minimum, they are both names associated with the calendar.
      > 2) As usually taken, they are both month names.
      > 3) The words occur in cultures that intersect chronologically,
      > geographically, and, most importantly, linguistically.
      > 4) They both have the same first consonant.

      I had in mind orthography when I stated the above,
      so I do agree with these points. We could add another
      similarity to this list since the biblical month name
      transcribes a foreign month name presumably from
      the same calendar as ZYB, assuming that ZYB is the
      name of a month.

      > 5) There is the distinct possibility that they have the same number of
      > consonants - Y being a mater lectionis.
      > 6) If they do, then not only are their first consonants the same, but
      > their final consonants are homorganic, both being bilabials. (There are
      > numerous equivalences across bilabials in Semitic cognates. Even within
      > Phoenician compare the dual orthographies for the Berber proper name,
      > ZBQ and ZYWG, which neatly illustrate in a single set both W/B
      > interchange and Y as a mater lectionis.)

      I did not consider as a possibility that ZW and ZYB might be
      dual orthographies within Phoenician.

      > 7) If Y is a mater lectionis here, then the Hebrew, Phoenician, and most
      > of the Greek reflexes share the same vocalization.

      Although it is possible Greek ZIOU shares the same
      vocalization as the Masoretic, I still think the Greek
      LXX and its variants point to a different vocalization,
      giving rise to the confusion between ZW and the
      Macedonian month name Dios, month II in one
      correlation.

      > Assuming all of this, then we have the Z's in common, the I's in common,
      > and the W/OU/B's in common (as homorganic consonants). Moreover we find
      > just these elements occurring in the exact same sequence, with nothing
      > else added.

      I admit the similarities are great, but it's precisely because we
      have to assume so much that the doubt as to a relationship is real.

      I did confer with Mark Cohen today and someone's guess
      was correct. Dr. Cohen was unaware of the reference
      to ZYB in Lidzbarski and he of course could not make any
      use of the 5th edition of the first volume of KAI.

      > Let me be clear - I am not taking a position here on these words being
      > cognates; I'm just saying that one must take into account a broader
      > linguistic context than just shared Z's.
      >
      > Dean A. Snyder
      >
      > Associate Research Scholar
      > Manager, Digital Hammurabi Project
      > Technology Consultant, Neo-Babylonian Trial Procedure Project
      > Computer Science Department, Whiting School of Engineering
      > 420 Wyman Park Building, 3400 North Charles Street
      > Johns Hopkins University
      > Baltimore, Maryland, USA 21218
      >
      > cell: 717 817-4897
      > www.jhu.edu/digitalhammurabi/2/