Re: [ANE-2] Question concerning Psalms

  • Dean Snyder
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 21, 2007
      Marc Cooper wrote at 2:06 PM on Wednesday, November 21, 2007:

      >Does anyone know of *early* Hebrew Psalm manuscripts (Qumran or
      >elsewhere), where the two parts (stichoi) of a verse (line) are
      >written in separate lines, _the second of which has an indent._

      A very quick survey shows the following:

      Hemistichs starting at line beginnings (none indented)
      4Q Psb (in several Psalms)

      Verses starting at line beginnings (hemistichs separated by a space)
      5/6 Hev Ps
      Mas Ps

      Verses (and hemistichs) starting anywhere
      11QPsa, except for the acrostic Ps 119s
      11Q Psc
      4Q Psq
      11Q PsApa
      4Q Psf

      I'm just curious though, why limit the results to Psalms and not all
      Hebrew poetry?

      Dean A. Snyder

      Associate Research Scholar
      Manager, Digital Hammurabi Project
      Technology Consultant, Neo-Babylonian Trial Procedure Project
      Computer Science Department, Whiting School of Engineering
      420 Wyman Park Building, 3400 North Charles Street
      Johns Hopkins University
      Baltimore, Maryland, USA 21218

      cell: 717 817-4897
      www.jhu.edu/digitalhammurabi/2/