first notice on field school in Archaeological Sciences at Tell es-Safi/Gath

  • arenmaeir
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 4, 2007
      Please pass this on to interested parties:

      Call for applicants for participation in the course
      "Field school on archaeological science"
      (For students who are registered in universities outside Israel)

      The course "Field school on archaeological science" is offered by The
      Martin (Szusz) Department of Land of Israel Studies and Archaeology,
      Bar-Ilan University, and the Kimmel Center for Archaeological
      Science, Weizmann Institute of Science, Israel. Registered students
      will participate in the excavation of the Biblical site Tell es-Safi,
      identified with Philistine Gath. The purpose of the course is to
      expose the students to interdisciplinary research that involves
      archaeology and the natural sciences, in the field. The students will
      experience interactive work that combines excavation and analysis of
      materials using an on-site laboratory. The course will emphasize the
      inter-connection between laboratory analyses and the archaeological
      context, and will include fieldwork, laboratory work, and lectures.

      The course will take place between July 13th and 18th, 2008.
      Accommodation and food will be supplied by the excavation organizers
      at Kibbutz Revadim. The cost for students who are not registered at
      Bar-Ilan University is $350 per week. The Kimmel Center will cover
      the costs for two weeks for the most qualified student (one
      scholarship only). Applicants with little or no archaeological
      experience must participate in one week of excavations at Tell es-
      Safi/Gath between July 6th and 11th, 2008. An option for
      participation in a supervised one week project at the site is
      available between July 20th and 25th, 2008 upon confirmation with the
      course organizers.

      The course is worth 2 US academic credits. Students interested in
      receiving the credit will have to pay an additional sum of $200 to
      Bar-Ilan University.

      Course organizers and their fields of expertise:
      Prof. Steve Weiner (WIS): mineralogical analyses, phytoliths, site
      formation processes
      Dr. Elisabetta Boaretto (BIU and WIS): radiocarbon dating, materials
      analysis
      Dr. Ehud Weiss (BIU and WIS): paleoethnobotany
      Dr. Ruth Shahack-Gross (BIU and WIS): geoarchaeology, micromorphology

      Applications are limited for students from third year undergraduates
      through Masters and doctoral studies. The best 10 students will be
      selected. Applications should include one paragraph explaining why
      the student is interested in participating in this course, CV, list
      of grades and two names of referees, and sent no later than March 1st
      2008 to:
      Dr. Ruth Shahack-Gross
      Kimmel Center for Archaeological Science
      Weizmann Institute of Science
      Rehovot 76100
      Israel
      E-mail: Ruth.Shahack@...
    • iMac Core Duo
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 4, 2007
        The article says that, apart from about 50 (lucky) people in the
        world, the real face of Tutankhamon has never been shown in a public
        display.

        Here's the link to the article along with some nice photos of (the
        smile on) Tutankhamon's face:

        http://www.ilmessaggero.it/articolo.php?id=12418&sez=HOME_SPETTACOLO

        In the end, it says that also the penis, that fell during the opening
        of the sarcophagus and the unwrapping of the mummy, was rescued and
        put back in its right place...

        Antonio Lombatti
      • Jascha Kessler
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 4, 2007
          Someone years ago sent me a little file of the one and only recording of the
          playing of the silver trumpet found with King Tut. I still have it. I can
          send to whomever... They fitted a mouthpiece, blew a fanfare for the
          recording machine, and that was that...they feared it would go to pieces if
          blown again.
          [It is not Gabriel's Horn, which has yet to sound off1]
          Jascha Kessler

          --
          Jascha Kessler
          Emeritus Professor of English & Modern Literature, UCLA