Re: [ANE-2] question about translations of Sumerian

  • Richard S. Ellis
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 1, 2007
      I studied Sumerian with both of these scholars; it might have been two
      different languages, their methods were so different.

      Richard S. Ellis
      Professor of Archaeology, retired
      Bryn Mawr college.

      Eric J. M. Smith wrote:

      >I suspect that this is just Jacobsen's way of indicating that Enki's
      >name actually had a final consonant which was not pronounced
      >word-finally. You can see the -k show up when Enki is in the ergative
      >case, were he is usually written [d]en-ki-ke4. It's not that Jacobsen
      >is wrong; he's just being idiosyncratic (or pedantic).
      >
      >Eric J. M. Smith
      >Dept. of Linguistics
      >University of Toronto

    • JSheldon
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 3, 2007
        Thank you, Eric. I notice now that there is a note to this effect in the
        collection of essays that I'm reading.

        Regards,
        Joanna

        Joanna Sheldon, Hastings, UK

        At 20:50 01-11-07, you wrote:
        >On 11/1/07, Joanna Sheldon <tadorne@...> wrote:
        > > I've read Kramer, and notice that his translations differ from the modern
        > > ones. I just bought a copy of the Jacobsen, who writes Enkik instead of
        > > Enki - so I am wary of anything earlier.
        >
        >I suspect that this is just Jacobsen's way of indicating that Enki's
        >name actually had a final consonant which was not pronounced
        >word-finally. You can see the -k show up when Enki is in the ergative
        >case, were he is usually written [d]en-ki-ke4. It's not that Jacobsen
        >is wrong; he's just being idiosyncratic (or pedantic).
        >
        >Eric J. M. Smith
        >Dept. of Linguistics
        >University of Toronto
        >

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

        >http://www.eset.com

        C. Joanna Sheldon, PhD
        Hastings, UK
        doing independent research on the roots of Western esotericism
      • JSheldon
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 3, 2007
          At 21:55 01-11-07, you wrote:
          >I studied Sumerian with both of these scholars; it might have been two
          >different languages, their methods were so different.
          >
          >Richard S. Ellis
          >Professor of Archaeology, retired
          >Bryn Mawr college.

          I envy you!