Re: [ANE-2] question about translations of Sumerian

  • Christopher Conlan
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 1, 2007
      Joanna,

      Since you are in London, you might try the School of Oriental and African Studies library, The Institute of Archaeology (UCL) library, and/or the main University College London Library- between them they will have all of the books that you need/want concerning Sumerian. As far as I recall, all of the libraries provide access for visiting scholars.

      Sincerely,

      Christopher Conlan

      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 1, 2007
        On 11/1/07, Joanna Sheldon <tadorne@...> wrote:
        > I've read Kramer, and notice that his translations differ from the modern
        > ones. I just bought a copy of the Jacobsen, who writes Enkik instead of
        > Enki - so I am wary of anything earlier.

        I suspect that this is just Jacobsen's way of indicating that Enki's
        name actually had a final consonant which was not pronounced
        word-finally. You can see the -k show up when Enki is in the ergative
        case, were he is usually written [d]en-ki-ke4. It's not that Jacobsen
        is wrong; he's just being idiosyncratic (or pedantic).

        Eric J. M. Smith
        Dept. of Linguistics
        University of Toronto
      • Richard S. Ellis
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 1, 2007
          I studied Sumerian with both of these scholars; it might have been two
          different languages, their methods were so different.

          Richard S. Ellis
          Professor of Archaeology, retired
          Bryn Mawr college.

          Eric J. M. Smith wrote:

          >I suspect that this is just Jacobsen's way of indicating that Enki's
          >name actually had a final consonant which was not pronounced
          >word-finally. You can see the -k show up when Enki is in the ergative
          >case, were he is usually written [d]en-ki-ke4. It's not that Jacobsen
          >is wrong; he's just being idiosyncratic (or pedantic).
          >
          >Eric J. M. Smith
          >Dept. of Linguistics
          >University of Toronto

        • JSheldon
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 3, 2007
            Thank you, Eric. I notice now that there is a note to this effect in the
            collection of essays that I'm reading.

            Regards,
            Joanna

            Joanna Sheldon, Hastings, UK

            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 3, 2007
              At 21:55 01-11-07, you wrote:
              >I studied Sumerian with both of these scholars; it might have been two
              >different languages, their methods were so different.
              >
              >Richard S. Ellis
              >Professor of Archaeology, retired
              >Bryn Mawr college.

              I envy you!