Norman Golb on the San Diego DSS Catalogue

  • Doug Weller
    Message 1 of 22 , Oct 29, 2007
      Hi,

      I don't know if people have seen this, it's dated Oct 22nd,
      apologies if I missed its being posted earlier:

      http://oi.uchicago.edu/pdf/dss_talk_san_diego2007.pdf

      Norman Golb
      The University of Chicago
      THE DEAD SEA SCROLLS AS TREATED IN A
      RECENTLY PUBLISHED CATALOGUE

      Doug

      --
      Doug Weller Moderator, sci.archaeology.moderated
      Director and Moderator The Hall of Ma'at http://www.thehallofmaat.com
      Message 2 of 22 , Oct 30, 2007
        Hello

        The link is broken, There isn’t a pdf file in this location. I am
        interested in the article of Norman Golb:

        Golb, Norman. <http://orion.mscc.huji.ac.il/orion/news/GolbRecent2007.pdf>
        The Qumran-Essene Theory and recent strategies employed in its defense.
        (2007 Article). But the link is broken.

        Lic. Laura Bizzarro

        Universidad Católica Argentina

        <http://www.transoxiana.org/12/bizzarro-mesianismo_qumran.php>
        http://www.transoxiana.org/12/bizzarro-mesianismo_qumran.php
        Tel.: 15-6018-1178
        Email: lafabiwd@...
        lafabiz@...

        Message 3 of 22 , Oct 30, 2007
          The link below offers individual scholarship by OI faculty members
          including the article in question:

          http://oi.uchicago.edu/research/is/

          Marc Cooper
          Missouri State
        • Nully
          Message 4 of 22 , Oct 30, 2007
            Laura:

            There's a list of Dr. Golb's articles here:
            http://oi.uchicago.edu/research/is/

            This may be the article of interest:

            http://oi.uchicago.edu/research/projects/scr/Recent_Strategies_2007.pdf

            Nully Smith

            Laura Bizzarro wrote:
            > Hello
            >
            > The link is broken, There isn’t a pdf file in this location. I am
            > interested in the article of Norman Golb:
            >
            > Golb, Norman. <http://orion.mscc.huji.ac.il/orion/news/GolbRecent2007.pdf>
            > The Qumran-Essene Theory and recent strategies employed in its defense.
            > (2007 Article). But the link is broken.
            >
            > Lic. Laura Bizzarro
            >
            > Universidad Católica Argentina
            >
            > <http://www.transoxiana.org/12/bizzarro-mesianismo_qumran.php>
            > http://www.transoxiana.org/12/bizzarro-mesianismo_qumran.php
            > Tel.: 15-6018-1178
            > Email: lafabiwd@...
            > lafabiz@...

          • Doug Weller
            Message 5 of 22 , Oct 31, 2007
              Hi Nully,

              > Laura:
              > There's a list of Dr. Golb's articles here:
              > http://oi.uchicago.edu/research/is/
              > This may be the article of interest:
              > http://oi.uchicago.edu/research/projects/scr/Recent_Strategies_2007.pdf

              The one I read is now here, they've moved it:

              http://oi.uchicago.edu/pdf/dss_review_sandiego_catalogue_2007.pdf

              Doug

              Message 6 of 22 , Oct 31, 2007
                Thank You Nully

                Laura Bizzarro wrote:
                > Hello
                >
                > The link is broken, There isn’t a pdf file in this location. I am
                > interested in the article of Norman Golb:
                >
                > Golb, Norman.
                <http://orion.mscc.huji.ac.il/orion/news/GolbRecent2007.pdf>
                > The Qumran-Essene Theory and recent strategies employed in its defense.
                > (2007 Article). But the link is broken.
                >
                > Lic. Laura Bizzarro
                >
                > Universidad Católica Argentina
                >
                > <http://www.transoxiana.org/12/bizzarro-mesianismo_qumran.php>
                > http://www.transoxiana.org/12/bizzarro-mesianismo_qumran.php
                > Tel.: 15-6018-1178
                > Email: lafabiwd@...
                > lafabiz@...

                Yahoo! Groups Links
              • Antonio Lombatti
                Message 7 of 22 , Nov 5, 2007
                  Archaeologists have discovered the world's most ancient inscription in
                  the Iranian city of Jiroft, near the Halil Roud historical site.

                  The article and the photo are here:

                  http://www.cais-soas.com/News/2007/November2007/05-11.htm

                  Antonio Lombatti

                  ----------------------------------
                  http://www.antoniolombatti.it

                • Trudy Kawami
                  Message 8 of 22 , Nov 5, 2007
                    As with a lot of Iranian archaeological press releases, you need a grain
                    or two or more of salt. The English is via an automatic translation
                    program and the deduction and assumptions are often equally creative.
                    Even the location can be difficult to pin down as Jiroft was used for
                    the whole area for several years & now Halil Rud (River) is used
                    instead. We'll have to wait until the excavation report is published for
                    the actual details of the find spot(s) and such.

                    Trudy Kawami

                    ________________________________

                    Message 9 of 22 , Nov 5, 2007
                      The web site gives no suggestion as to why this may be the world's oldest
                      inscription, or how old it is.

                      I'm not imnpressed.

                      Brian Yare

                      Archaeologists have discovered the world's most ancient inscription in
                      the Iranian city of Jiroft, near the Halil Roud historical site.

                      The article and the photo are here:

                      http://www.cais-soas.com/News/2007/November2007/05-11.htm

                      Antonio Lombatti

                      ----------------------------------
                      http://www.antoniolombatti.it

                      21:37
                    • Antonio Lombatti
                      Message 10 of 22 , Nov 21, 2007
                        It is possible that five words have been added to our knowledge of the
                        ancient Persian language by the recent discovery of a stone
                        inscription on Khark Island in the Persian Gulf, the Persian service
                        of CHN reported on Tuesday.

                        The inscription's authenticity is, however, still doubtful.

                        The full article can be read here:
                        http://www.tehrantimes.com/index_View.asp?code=157573

                        Antonio Lombatti

                      • Rolf Furuli
                        Message 11 of 22 , Nov 26, 2007
                          Dear list-members,

                          In R. S. Tomback (1978) "A Comparative Semitic Lexicon of the
                          Phoenician and Punic Languages,"
                          one reference of RP)M is "shades". In S. B. Parker (1997) "Ugaritic
                          Narrative Poetry" (p. 196) one reference of RP)M is "the shades of
                          the dead".

                          The ideas of "preserve; heal" is associated with RP) in Phoenician,
                          Ugaritic and other Semitic languages. And the ideas of "loosen, be
                          weak" is associated with RPH (Ugaritic: RPY). But what about the idea
                          of "shade, shadow"? Is this only an empty phrase that once was
                          coined, and which later just have been repeated without containing
                          any meaning? Or is there any semantic connection with RP)/ RPH and
                          "shade"? What actually are "the shades of the dead"?

                          Best regards,

                          Rolf Furuli Ph.D
                          University of Oslo
                          Message 12 of 22 , Nov 26, 2007
                            It's a sort of poetic/old-fashioned word for what's becomes of a person when they die -- for instance the inhabitants of Elysium are the shades of the dead. When Orpheus went to the underworld, he found Euridice among the shades of the dead. Perhaps in the Ugaritic context it's a way of avoiding speaking in English of "souls."

                            Message 13 of 22 , Nov 27, 2007
                              Dear Peter,

                              The background for my question is that I have translated many
                              documents from Ugaritic and Phoenician into Norwegian for a book
                              series, and I am also going to list some parallels between
                              Ugaritic/Phoenician and Hebrew thought.

                              Could you please tell me which Greek words are used for "shades"? Are
                              they etymologically or semantically related to "shade/shadow"? I know
                              that the Greek word YUCH at a particular time referred to the
                              immortal souls of humans. The corresponding word in Hebrew is NP$,
                              and in the Hebrew Bible it refers to humans, animals, and to life,
                              but never clearly to something immortal. It is my impression that the
                              same is the case with the Akkadian word NAPI$TU, and the cognates in
                              other old Semitic languages (in modern Hebrew and Arabic, NP$ can
                              refer to something immortal, though).

                              In Akkadian thought, the ETEMMU (ghost) of a person could haunt the
                              living, but it seems to have been the whole person with body and
                              cloths and weapons that went down to the underworld and existed
                              there, in the land of no return (cf. "Ishtar's descent to the
                              underworld," and Gilgamesh, tablet VII). It also seems to me that the
                              same was true at Ugarit (cf. the last part of the Baal cycle).

                              I have carefully studied almost all the extant Ugaritic documents,
                              but I have not seen anything that could connect the word "shade" with
                              RP) or with the dead. If we cannot connect "shade" with the dead,
                              either etymologically, semantically, or lexically, the whole concept
                              is a fiction and should be abandoned. And in connection with this I
                              hoped to get some insights from the scholars on the ANE-2 list.

                              Message 14 of 22 , Nov 27, 2007
                                No, I could not; I know nothing of Greek. AIUI, the Repha'im have been a topic of discussion since long before the discovery of Ugarit.

                                The background for my question is that I have translated many
                                documents from Ugaritic and Phoenician into Norwegian for a book
                                series, and I am also going to list some parallels between
                                Ugaritic/Phoenician and Hebrew thought.

                                Could you please tell me which Greek words are used for "shades"? Are
                                they etymologically or semantically related to "shade/shadow" ? I know
                                that the Greek word YUCH at a particular time referred to the
                                immortal souls of humans. The corresponding word in Hebrew is NP$,
                                and in the Hebrew Bible it refers to humans, animals, and to life,
                                but never clearly to something immortal. It is my impression that the
                                same is the case with the Akkadian word NAPI$TU, and the cognates in
                                other old Semitic languages (in modern Hebrew and Arabic, NP$ can
                                refer to something immortal, though).

                                In Akkadian thought, the ETEMMU (ghost) of a person could haunt the
                                living, but it seems to have been the whole person with body and
                                cloths and weapons that went down to the underworld and existed
                                there, in the land of no return (cf. "Ishtar's descent to the
                                underworld," and Gilgamesh, tablet VII). It also seems to me that the
                                same was true at Ugarit (cf. the last part of the Baal cycle).

                                I have carefully studied almost all the extant Ugaritic documents,
                                but I have not seen anything that could connect the word "shade" with
                                RP) or with the dead. If we cannot connect "shade" with the dead,
                                either etymologically, semantically, or lexically, the whole concept
                                is a fiction and should be abandoned. And in connection with this I
                                hoped to get some insights from the scholars on the ANE-2 list.

                                Best regards,

                                Rolf Furuli Ph.D
                                University of Oslo

                                >It's a sort of poetic/old-fashione d word for what's becomes of a
                                >person when they die -- for instance the inhabitants of Elysium are
                                >the shades of the dead. When Orpheus went to the underworld, he
                                >found Euridice among the shades of the dead. Perhaps in the Ugaritic
                                >context it's a way of avoiding speaking in English of "souls."
                              • George F Somsel
                                Message 15 of 22 , Nov 27, 2007
                                  I apologise for not being able to send the native Greek in this post, but I have been having a problem with my e-mail today.

                                  AMENHNOS [ᾰ], ON, also H, ON Luc.Gall. 5 Opp.H.2.58: (A- priv., MENOS):—poet. Adj., in Hom. chiefly of ghosts or shades, fleeting, NEKUWN A. KARHNA Od.10.521, al.; of dreams, 19.562; of one wounded, A. EA XALKOIO TUPHiSI Il.5.887; PUGMAIOI Hes.Oxy.1358.18; rare in Trag. (alw.lyr.), A. ANHR, of Ajax, S.Aj.890; NEKUWN A. AGALMA E.Tr.193.

                                  Liddell, H. G., Scott, R., Jones, H. S., & McKenzie, R. (1996). A Greek-English lexicon. (81). Oxford; New York: Clarendon Press; Oxford University Press.

                                  GHGENHS, ES, Dor. GAGENHS Hdn.Gr.2.419:—earthborn, BOLBOS Xenarch.1.5; of a potter’s vessel, Antiph.182.3; indigenous, BOULALIS S.Fr.792.
                                  2. earthborn, of primeval men, EREXQEUS Hdt.8.55; PALAIXQWN A.Supp.250; TOUS EMPROSQEN FUESQAI GHGENEIS KAI MH EC ALLHLWN GENNASQAI Pl.Plt.269b, cf. Arist.GA762b29; of the Thebans, Trag.Adesp.84; G. PRWTOPLASTHS LxxWi.7.1; of body, opp. soul, Pl.Lg.727e.
                                  3. hOI G. the dead, the shades, LxxPr.2.18, 9.18.

                                  Liddell, H. G., Scott, R., Jones, H. S., & McKenzie, R. (1996). A Greek-English lexicon. (347). Oxford; New York: Clarendon Press; Oxford University Press.

                                  I note that in the second citation under #3 Pr 2.18 and 9.18 are cited. Here is the transliterated text for that

                                  2.18
                                  EQETO GAR PARA TWi QANATWi TON OIKON AUTHS KAI PARA TWi AiDHi META TWN GHGENWN TOUS ACONAS AUTHS.

                                  9.18
                                  hO DE OUK OIDEN hOTI GHGENEIS PAR' AUTHi OLLUNTAI, KAI EPI PETEURON AiDOU SUNANTAi

                                  george
                                  gfsomsel
                                  _________

                                  george
                                  gfsomsel

                                  defend the truth till death.

                                  - Jan Hus
                                  _________

                                  Message 16 of 22 , Nov 27, 2007
                                    A good work on the meaning(s) of psyche in ancient Greece is J.-P.
                                    Vernant, _Mortals and Immortals_, Chapter 10.
                                    Essentially, the psyche is what "spiritually" remains of the
                                    individual upon death, and I think the closest English equivalent
                                    would actually be "ghost."

                                    Stephanie Budin
                                    Rutgers University

                                    Quoting Rolf Furuli <furuli@...>:

                                    > Could you please tell me which Greek words are used for "shades"? Are
                                    > they etymologically or semantically related to "shade/shadow"? I know
                                    > that the Greek word YUCH at a particular time referred to the
                                    > immortal souls of humans. The corresponding word in Hebrew is NP$,
                                    > and in the Hebrew Bible it refers to humans, animals, and to life,
                                    > but never clearly to something immortal. It is my impression that the
                                    > same is the case with the Akkadian word NAPI$TU, and the cognates in
                                    > other old Semitic languages (in modern Hebrew and Arabic, NP$ can
                                    > refer to something immortal, though).
                                  • Jean-Fabrice Nardelli
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Nov 27, 2007
                                      Dear Rolf,

                                      let me reproduce a passage of my own :
                                      Yuxê ~ vpn, though the Hebrew has a far wider range of meanings, including the living being, self, desire, appetite, emotion, etc., are the main stuff of a man's life, something viewed as airy, breath or vapour (from yÎxw - J. N. Bremmer, The Early Greek Concept of the Soul [Princeton, Princeton University Press, 1983], 21-24 - and jpn - Paul Maiberger, in TDOT IX [1998], 485-488 -,'to breathe, blow', as the Akkadian napistu, Sumerian zi-pa-ág_ or simply ZI, 'life, vigour, vitality, good health' / 'breath' [CAD N Part 1 (1980), 297-298 ; Yitschak Sefati, Love Songs in Sumerian Literature. Critical Edition of the Dumuzi-Inanna Songs (Ramat Gan, Bar-Ilan University Press, 1998), 2146], is to nap|4su, 'breath, breathing, breeze', napa4su, 'to breathe freely', and napa4hu, 'to blow something' - ib., 305, 288-289, 264), which can flee the body. See further, on the Hellenic side, R. B. Onians, The Origins of European Thought about the Body, the Mind, the Soul, the World, Time and Fate (Cambridge, Cambridge University Press, 19512), 94-100, 109-116, and Bremmer, 13-69, and on the Hebrew side, Horst Seebass, in TDOT IX, 497-519 : Ernst Jenni & Claus Westermann, Theological Lexicon of the Old Testament (Peabody, Hendrickson, 1997), II, 71-95 ; H. W. Wolff, Anthropology of the Old Testament (Mifflintown, Sigler, 19962), 10-24. The synopsis by Pirjo Lapinkivi, The Sumerian Sacred Marriage in the Light of Comparative Evidence (Helsinki, N.A.T.C. P., 2004), 131-147, is weak on Homer ; see Lars Albinus, The House of Hades. Studies in Ancient Greek Eschatology (Aarhus, University Press, 2000), 21-97. The thesis of D. B. Claus, for whom the main sense of yuxê before Plato was that of a physiological as well as psychological 'life-force' and who argued that the various words for this concept are all to be subsumed under one of the two 'underlying semantic categories' thought or life-force (Toward the Soul. An Inquiry into the Meaning of Yuxê Before Plato [New Haven & London, Yale University Press, 1981], 1-47), has not been well received, life-force being a misleading label for the yuxê in Homer (M. J. Clarke, Flesh and Spirit in the Songs of Homer [Oxford, Clarendon Press, 1999], 53-60) and the Presocratics (Burkert, Weisheit und Wissenschaft. Studien zu Pythagoras, Philolaos und Platon [Nürnberg, Carl, 1962], 249-252) ; that it was responsible for the emergence and nature of soul as a psychological agent is not bourne out by the evidence. Yuxê does appear, albeit rarely, as a shorthand for 'life, existence', especially within adjurations (Iliad, XXII 338 [Hector defeated pleads for his life to Achilles] l°ssom' Öp§r yuxìj ka± goÎnwn s÷n te tokêwn ; Sophocles, Oedipus at Colonus, 1326-1327 [Polynices begs Oedipus to stop hating him] oÀ s' ãnt± pa°dwn t÷n-de ka± yuxìj, pàter, | ¿keteÎomen cÎmpantej, with S. D. Sullivan, Sophocles' Use of Psychological Terminology. Old and New [Ottawa, Carleton University Press, 1999], 166-167 ; Euripides, Orestes, 1517 tën ¨mën yuxën katõmos' - Sullivan, Euripides' Use of Psychological Terminology [Montreal & Ithaca, McGill -Queen's University Press, 2000], 88 cf. 110, helps little - ; Herodas, III 71-72 [the naughty Kottalos beseeches his schoolmaster] mê m' µketeÎw, Lampr°ske, prÆj se t÷n Mous¥wn | ka± toÑ gene°ou tìj te KÆttidoj yuxìj) ; this meaning is much commoner for vpn in the Old Testament (for the sole Gen it appears in 17 :14, 19 :17, 19 :19, 32 :31, 37 :21 and is distinguished from the main term for 'life', hyj, in 1 :30 ... hyj vpn wbA rv Årah l[ cmwr lklw µymvh ¹w[A lklw Årah tyjA lklw, "and to all earthly animals and to all heavenly creatures and to all that crawls on the soil, which has the breath of life inside it (...)" - on hyj vpn, cf. G. J. Wenham, Genesis 1-15 ["Word Biblical Commentary", Waco, Word Books, 1987], 60-61).

                                      (from : Homosexuality and liminality in the Gilgamesh and Samuel [Amsterdam, Adolf M. Hakkert, 2007], 63-64).

                                      J.-F. Nardelli,

                                      University of Provence.

                                      The background for my question is that I have translated many
                                      documents from Ugaritic and Phoenician into Norwegian for a book
                                      series, and I am also going to list some parallels between
                                      Ugaritic/Phoenician and Hebrew thought.

                                      Could you please tell me which Greek words are used for "shades"? Are
                                      they etymologically or semantically related to "shade/shadow"? I know
                                      that the Greek word YUCH at a particular time referred to the
                                      immortal souls of humans. The corresponding word in Hebrew is NP$,
                                      and in the Hebrew Bible it refers to humans, animals, and to life,
                                      but never clearly to something immortal. It is my impression that the
                                      same is the case with the Akkadian word NAPI$TU, and the cognates in
                                      other old Semitic languages (in modern Hebrew and Arabic, NP$ can
                                      refer to something immortal, though).

                                      Recent Activity
                                      a.. 2New Members
                                      Visit Your Group
                                      Only on Yahoo!
                                      World of Star Wars

                                      Meet fans, watch

                                      videos & more.

                                      Yahoo! News
                                      Odd News

                                      You won't believe

                                      it, but it's true

                                      Yahoo! Groups HD
                                      The official Samsung

                                      Y! Group for HDTVs

                                      and devices.
                                      .

                                    • dwashbur@nyx.net
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Nov 27, 2007
                                        It's an older English meaning of the term, essentially synonymous with "spirit" or "immaterial
                                        part of the being." I wouldn't get too hung up on that specific English word. It appears that
                                        someone resurrected an older meaning in order to avoid more theologically-charged words
                                        such as "soul" or "spirit."

                                        Dave Washburn
                                        As a French hippie might say, "Je ne creuse pas!"

                                      • Yitzhak Sapir
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Nov 27, 2007
                                          On Nov 27, 2007 10:25 AM, Rolf Furuli wrote:
                                          > Dear Peter,
                                          >
                                          > The background for my question is that I have translated many
                                          > documents from Ugaritic and Phoenician into Norwegian for a book
                                          > series, and I am also going to list some parallels between
                                          > Ugaritic/Phoenician and Hebrew thought.
                                          > [...]
                                          > I have carefully studied almost all the extant Ugaritic documents,
                                          > but I have not seen anything that could connect the word "shade" with
                                          > RP) or with the dead. If we cannot connect "shade" with the dead,
                                          > either etymologically, semantically, or lexically, the whole concept
                                          > is a fiction and should be abandoned. And in connection with this I
                                          > hoped to get some insights from the scholars on the ANE-2 list.

                                          See the extended note in HALOT on this word.

                                          In particular, it provides cognates from Phoenician and Neo-Punic in
                                          the sense "spirits of the dead", "manes."

                                          It also lists the following Hebrew Bible verses:
                                          parallel with mtym "dead" - Is 26:14, Ps 88:11
                                          parallel with mwt "death" - Pr 2:18
                                          dwelling in $?wl - Is 14:9, Jb 26:5, Pr 9:18
                                          land of rp?ym - Is 26:19, congregation of - Pr 21:16

                                          Again, look up HALOT for the complete entry and short discussion.

                                          In light of these, I think it is very problematic to read "healers" in the
                                          above verses. The Ugaritic should be seen as possibly preserving a
                                          cognate, even if the association in Ugaritic is not as clear as in the
                                          above verses.

                                          Yitzhak Sapir
                                        • John Wevers
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Nov 28, 2007
                                            As for the question you raised re Greek equivalents

                                            for the Hebrew NEFESH, Muraoka lists 20 equivalents for

                                            the word in his Hebrew/Aramaic Index to the Spetuagint:

                                            Keyed to te Hatch-Redpath Concordance. Grand Rapids,

                                            Baker Books, 1998.

                                            Cordially,
                                            John Wm Wevers
                                          • Rolf Furuli
                                            Message 21 of 22 , Nov 28, 2007
                                              Thank you all for your suggestions and references. Because I am not a
                                              native speaker of English, I was not aware of the older meaning of
                                              "shades," that this word is synonymous with "ghosts". Because of
                                              this, there need of course not be any etymological or semantic
                                              relationship between the Ugaritic RP) and the Ugaritic word for
                                              "shade/shadow. Then the problem is moved from the lexical sphere to
                                              the contextual or religious sphere.

                                              My lack of understanding of an English word illustrates a basic
                                              problem with the studies of dead languages as far as lexical
                                              semantics is concerned. Word studies are based on induction, and
                                              inductive approaches have many limitations. Moreover, it is very easy
                                              to color the definitions of words with one's theological views or by
                                              modern theories of lexical semantics. James Barr (1961 "The Semantics
                                              of Biblical Language") demonstrated this in his discussion of TWNT.
                                              Another pitfall is to define a word in one Semitic language on the
                                              basis of its cognate in another Semitic language; in other words, to
                                              define a word in one language on the basis of one's conclusions
                                              (based on induction) regarding the meaning of a similar word in a
                                              cognate language.

                                              As for RP)/RPH, it can refer to living people in Ugaritic (Danel was
                                              the man of RP)) and Hebrew (a family of tall people). In both
                                              languages RP) is also associated with death. However, in Ugaritic
                                              texts I have not been able to locate a single instance where the word
                                              refers to ghosts or disembodied spirits, and the same is true in the
                                              Hebrew Bible. In the entry RP)YM in HALOT we find the meaning "dead
                                              spirits," and in my view, this is an excellent example of a fallacy
                                              pointed out by Barr (I will not call it "the etymological fallacy"
                                              but rather "the theological fallacy" or "the fallacy of tradition").
                                              I am not aware of any traces of "ghosts" or "disembodied spirits" in
                                              the Hebrew texts where RP)/RPH occurs. My guess is that the word
                                              refers to "the weak ones; the powerless ones" i.e., that it is
                                              synonymous with MTYM "the dead".

                                              Bible translators have problems in dealing consistently with the word RP)YM.

                                              In Isaiah 26:14 (New International Version ) we find the translation:
                                              "They are now dead, they live no more, departed spirits (RP)YM) do
                                              not rise"
                                              But in v. 19 we read: "But your dead (MTYK) will live, their bodies
                                              will rise...the earth will give birth to her dead (RP)YM)"

                                              Best regards,

                                              Rolf Furuli Ph.D
                                              University of Oslo
                                            • Yitzhak Sapir
                                              Message 22 of 22 , Nov 28, 2007
                                                On Nov 28, 2007 6:43 PM, Rolf Furuli wrote:

                                                > As for RP)/RPH, it can refer to living people in Ugaritic (Danel was
                                                > the man of RP)) and Hebrew (a family of tall people). In both
                                                > languages RP) is also associated with death. However, in Ugaritic
                                                > texts I have not been able to locate a single instance where the word
                                                > refers to ghosts or disembodied spirits, and the same is true in the
                                                > Hebrew Bible. In the entry RP)YM in HALOT we find the meaning "dead
                                                > spirits," and in my view, this is an excellent example of a fallacy
                                                > pointed out by Barr (I will not call it "the etymological fallacy"
                                                > but rather "the theological fallacy" or "the fallacy of tradition").
                                                > I am not aware of any traces of "ghosts" or "disembodied spirits" in
                                                > the Hebrew texts where RP)/RPH occurs. My guess is that the word
                                                > refers to "the weak ones; the powerless ones" i.e., that it is
                                                > synonymous with MTYM "the dead".

                                                See also here:
                                                http://lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/b-hebrew/2002-December/014491.html
                                                http://www.arts.ualberta.ca/JHS/reviews/review190.htm

                                                The book in the second link might also provide you with some additional
                                                bibliography, and you might want to look up some biblical and related
                                                dictionaries too -- ABD, DDD, etc. A lot of literature has been published
                                                on this very subject and it should be consulted for any type of discussion
                                                that deals with the subject.

                                                Yitzhak Sapir