Re: [ANE-2] Jezebel's seal

  • Jim West
    Message 1 of 31 , Oct 12, 2007
      herzliah wrote:
      > Dear commentators and silent readers
      >
      > I am watching the traffic "over" the seal of this poor old lady and I
      > wonder, when will real experts in the field comment on the subject ?
      >
      > It is the time for all interested in the answers to read my article in
      > BAR
      > http://www.robert-deutsch.com/en/monographs/m13/
      >
      > Robert Deutsch

      And where in that wide ranging essay about seal impressions and the like
      along with its description of Egyptian influence do you discuss this
      particular bit, Robert? And what is the seal's provenance- the only bit
      of information essential for making it useful (aside from buying and
      selling of course)?

      That aside, I do find this comment of yours interesting:

      "The source of these bullae raises another big question. All of the
      bullae hoards that have been recently brought to light came from the
      antiquities market; not one was found in a scientific archaeological
      excavation, with one important exception not relevant to this
      discussion.i It is reasonable to ask whether they could be fakes. The
      universal answer of all experts in the field is "no." It is simply
      impossible to fake them."

      Impossible to make a fake bulla? Seems to me that's been done. Several
      times.

      --
      Jim West, ThD

    • Jim West
      Message 31 of 31 , Oct 13, 2007
        All of what you say is true.
        The problem of course is that if you and others of your expertise don't
        say it loudly and publicly, the general populace will believe BAR and
        the popularizers.

        Jim

        --
        Jim West, ThD