Matson Photo Archive search link

  • Kevin P. Edgecomb
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 6, 2007
      A list member has informed me offlist that the link I included to the Matson
      Photo Archives doesn't work. I apologize for that. Users may search for
      any of the photographs from this page:
      http://memory.loc.gov/pp/matpcquery.html

      Regards,
      Kevin P. Edgecomb
      Berkeley, California
    • William D. Tallman
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 7, 2007
        My apologies for the tardy response.

        My thanks to Messrs. Hall, Kolinski and Edgecomb for their responses. I
        appreciated the reference to the Matson Photo Archive!

        The Ezekiel Tomb is, or was, extant as recently as a year ago, according
        to my web search. Looks like a wall and what appears to be a gate house
        has been taken down since the late 19th century, but the main structure
        seems relatively unchanged. I gather that nothing is known for certain
        about what was there during the time of the Judahite exile.

        The curse of sloppy scholarship, or in my case the lack thereof, is that
        references go missing: I cannot find the reference to a cuneiform
        tablet that recorded the yearly food(?) allotment to the Judahites after
        the death of Nebuchadrezzer II. It was reading through the translation
        of that which put me in mind of a bill of lading. There is mention of
        the allotment in Septuagint texts, but one gathers therefrom that the
        Judahite elite dined at the court.

        I wondered if the yearly list might not indicate that the allotment was
        shipped somewhere; otherwise, why record what could just as well have
        been part of the court food consumption? Hence the interest in
        determining what evidence there was/is for some external site.

        I had tentatively concluded that such a site would be located near the
        Euphrates, and would not be north of Babylon; apparently the Persians
        did not encounter it after the battle at Opis and they would not have
        been north of the line of defense that is said to have passed from the
        Euphrates to the Tigris at Opis.

        So a site south of Babylon seems reasonable, at least in this tyro's
        view.

        Lemaire's suggestion that such a site existed and was known as New
        Jerusalem seemed worth pursuing, but the image in the BAR NovDec 2005
        looked far too fresh and undamaged, and the "provenance" I knew to be a
        matter of controversy.

        In any case, thanks again to all.

        William D. Tallman
        343 Fleming Drive