Re: Karkami$ mine fields

  • cookies4gudea
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 2, 2007
      Dear Stephanie,
      I found an article of the Mine Action Information Center at the JMU
      with a passage which answers your question.
      If you want to know more detailed information take a look under
      http://maic.jmu.edu/Journal/8.2/notes/koknar.htm

      "Following a high-profile incident in 1956 when smugglers shot two
      Turkish customs agents dead, the Turkish army laid landmines along
      Turkey's border with Syria. The anti-personnel landmines were meant to
      discourage the smuggling activity between the two countries. After the
      beginning of the insurgency of the Kurdish Workers Party (PKK) in
      1984, the Turkish-Syrian border was utilized by the insurgents also,
      which prompted the Turkish army to lay more anti-personnel landmines
      between 1989 and 1998. Under its Ottawa obligations, Turkey has not
      laid any more anti-personnel landmines since 1998."

      Regards,
      Simone Muehl