Call for Papers - Jewish Names (October 1, 2007)

  • Joseph I. Lauer
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2007
      I am posting the following at the request of Dr. Aaron Demsky and
      encourage further circulation and posting of the notice.

      Call for Papers
      Jewish Names
      (October 1, 2007)

      I am happy to inform you that the Organizing Committee of the forthcoming
      International Congress of Onomastic Sciences (ICOS 23) to be held from
      Sunday, August 17 to Friday, August 22, 2008 at York University, Toronto
      (Canada) has asked me to create a section on Jewish names. This is a first
      in the field of Jewish onomastics and we want it to be a success. While
      papers on all aspects of onomastics are welcome (e.g. personal names, family
      names, place names, names in literature, brand names, etc.), ICOS2008 will
      have the following central theme:

      Names in Contact: Names in a Multi-Lingual, Multi-Cultural, Multi-Ethnic
      World

      We are now accepting proposals for papers on Jewish names and naming
      patterns from the Biblical to the Modern periods reflecting all the relevant
      disciplines of literature, history, linguistics, sociology, folklore and
      toponymy, etc. In particular, we want to encourage scholars researching
      North America or the western hemisphere. Please submit an abstract of 200
      words to Prof. Demsky below. Deadline for submission of proposed papers:
      October 31, 2007

      For further details on the Congress program including scheduled outings and
      fees see
      the congress web-site: http://www.yorku.ca/vpaweb/ICOS2008 .

      Looking forward to hearing from you.

      Professor Aaron Demsky
      Professor, History of Ancient Israel
      Director, Project for the Study of Jewish Names
      Department of Jewish History
      Bar-Ilan University Ramat-Gan, Israel 52900
      Home: Rimon 3
      Efrat, Israel 90435
      tel 972-2-9931-878
      fax 972-2-9932-208