Re: [ANE-2] From ANET to Before the Muses

  • RUSSELLGMIRKIN@aol.com
    Message 1 of 22 , Sep 26, 2007
      Foster's anthology is a great collection, but I personally found his lack of
      exact textual line references in his to be extremely frustrating for
      citation purposes.

      Russell Gmirkin

      In all this discussion, we forgot an extremely important anthology, Ben
      Foster's Before the Muses, now in its third expanded and revised
      addition. It's a wonderful collection of literary texts, but includes two
      items whose literary flavour and nature are often overlooked because of
      their content - the prologue and epilogue of Inu Anum Sirum (CH) and
      Sargon's 8th campaign. Also, each item comes with an up to date
      bibliography and there are also some glosses throughout of a philological
      or literary nature. It's only Akkadian literature, but an absolute
      must. By the way, unlike all the other anthologies, all the translations
      in BM are done by Foster himself. A real tour d force
      Best,
      Victor
      BGU