Re: New Theory on the Evolution of Egypt

  • richfaussette
    Message 1 of 29 , Sep 17, 2007
      --- In ANE-2@yahoogroups.com, "Samuel Lerner" <samulern@...> wrote:

      > --- In ANE-2@yahoogroups.com, "richfaussette" <RFaussette@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I am not a scholar. I do not presume to know what the scholars on
      > > this list know. I have simply looked at the evolution of religion
      > > from a Darwinian perspective rather than fight the common fight,
      > > religion versus science and the result after a quarter century of
      > > effort has been productive for me.
      >

      > Thanks, this is all I wanted to know.
      >
      > Shana tova.
      >
      > .... Samuel Lerner

      There is a bit more - perhaps others would be interested. The
      following lines appear in wikipedia (we'll use it as a resource for
      the purposes of illustration).

      "Nonetheless, "the precarious condition in which they lived for a
      considerable period made it impracticable for them to keep up their
      former proselytizing zeal. The instinctive fear of disintegration and
      absorption in the vast multitudes among whom they lived created in
      them a spirit of exclusiveness and a strong feeling for the
      preservation of the racial characteristics and distinctive features
      of their community. Living in an atmosphere surcharged with the Hindu
      caste system, they felt that their own safety lay in encircling
      their fold by rigid caste barriers" (Dhalla, 1938:474). Even so, at
      some point (perhaps not long after their arrival in India), the
      Zoroastrians - perhaps determining that the social stratification
      that they had brought with them was unsustainable in the small
      community - did away with all but the hereditary priesthood (called
      the asronih in Sassanid Iran). The remaining estates - the
      (r)atheshtarih (nobility, soldiers, and civil servants), vastaryoshih
      (farmers and herdsmen), hutokshih (artisans and laborers) - were
      folded into an all-comprehensive class today known as the behdini
      ("followers of daena", for which "good religion" is one translation).
      This change would have far reaching consequences. For one, it opened
      the gene pool to some extent since until that time inter-class
      marriages were exceedingly rare (this would continue to be a
      problem for the priesthood until the 20th century). For another, it
      did away with the boundaries along occupational lines, a factor that
      would enamour the Parsis to the 18th and 19th century British
      colonial authorities who had little patience for the unpredictable
      complications of the Hindu caste system (such as a clerk from one
      caste who would not deal with a clerk from another)."

      Now recall Pierre Bryant's description of the Persian diaspora as a
      socioethnic elite (From Cyrus to Alexander) as you consider the
      conscious decision by the Parsis above to shed priest/warrior
      stratification to live in diaspora in India. Now further consider the
      conquest of Canaan in the Hebrew bible as a nation building exercise
      in which just the opposite occurs. Rather than being shed, the
      stratification is created (priesthood and military organized by
      Moses). So, the split into priest/warrior classes is described in the
      bible, but where do we see the same priestly/pastoral diaspora social
      structure described for the Parsis in the Hebrew bible?

      We find it in Genesis.

      My essay on this matter will be published this fall in the Occidental
      Quarterly. It is titled THE BOOK OF GENESIS FROM A DARWINIAN
      PERSPECTIVE.

      The Hebrew bible contains a formula for nation building and another
      formula (allegorized in the book of genesis) for living in diaspora.

      rich faussette