Re: [ANE-2] Re: Burned by the media- how to protect oneself

  • Joe Zias
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 12, 2007
      Thanks for the advice as academics are one of the most exploited groups that I'm aware of, the most exploited are those in the arts, but we run a close second. We in a way are responsible for this, inflated egos as if being on the screen will advance ones career, future 'deals' promised, the list is long as are the abuses. Few are able to say no, however we have had some success in boycotting some of the more prominent abusers. The fact that the Discovery Channel nixed the 'repeat performance' of the Talpiot Tomb shows what a concerted effort by those in the profession can bring about. Same goes for a Jerusalem Museum who canceled weekly showings by the same group due to our protests. Someone is listening and I believe that in time more and more academics here will rise to the challenge and simply say no.

      One important thing that I forgot to add was my reality check with US TV a few yrs back. I had been invited to NY for a doc. on the Historical Jesus, Central Park, 480 dollars per nite, by one of the best known news makers around. Little did I know that they had no intention of putting me on the screen what they wanted was info. for the presenter, who parroted back word for word my interview as if the ideas were his. Shocked I called a colleague in Fla who replied 'welcome to the US media, where the big shots vie for screen time at any cost. His advice which I'm passing on to prevent these abuses is to do the following:

      A. Tape your taped interview with the agreement that if you end up on the cutting room floor that any of your ideas used will be given attribution, e.g 'according to Prof. X, ... Have the producer sign this declaration to prevent any potential Charlie McCarthy- Mortimer Snerd scenarios that I had to deal with.

      B. Beware of producers interviewing one on the phone, what they are doing is simply trying to get free info. rather than doing their own research. Many times they will introd. themselves as producers whereas they are simply employees whose job it is is to gather information. Let them know that this is ones profession and as much as one wishes the doc. to be a good one, giving away knowledge is not part of the profession. Ask a consulting fee on par with they pay their account, lawyer ect.

      Joe Zias
      Mitch Allen <leftcoastpress@...> wrote: Very useful advice, Joe. I published a book in the 1990s that is a
      guide for academics on this, James Alan Fox and Jack Levin, How to
      Deal with the Media, Sage, 1993. It was more geared toward print
      journalists than documentary makers, but it also has lots of useful
      advice from two criminologists regularly approached by journalists.
      Mitch Allen
      Left Coast Press, Inc.

      --- In ANE-2@yahoogroups.com, Joe Zias <joezias@...> wrote:

      > Colleagues (Chris Herd et al) were bemoaning the fact that they were
      burned by the media, in this case TV, which is one of the most
      problematic, particularly North American TV as seen by the James
      Ossuary, Talpiot Tomb 'documentaries'. One can protect oneself by
      using the guidelines listed below.