Re: Tel Rehov beehives

  • Ariel L. Szczupak
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 6, 2007
      At 03:31 AM 9/1/2007, Ariel L. Szczupak wrote:
      [...]

      >And the most intriguing - a beehive farm within an urban
      >environment. Are there precedents? (not only from the ANE)

      In case I'm not the only one fascinated by this, here are two URLs
      (out of many) with formal and informal info on modern urban apiaries.

      http://nwoba.honeyrunapiaries.com/6.31.0.0.1.0.phtml

      http://www.beesource.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-194903.html

      And here are images of a place in Chicago with 100 hives:

      http://chicagohoneycoop.com/photo_player_flash.html

      And those with JSTOR access may wish to check ...

      http://links.jstor.org/sici?sici=0018-098X(198507%2F09)54%3A3%3C257%3AHI%3E2.0.CO%3B2-S

      ... that says "it is possible that the use of cylindrical clay
      beehives in Greece may go back to the Bronze Age" (I have no idea
      what is the context of this sentence).

      Ariel.

      ---
      Ariel L. Szczupak
      AMIS-JLM (Ricercar Ltd.)
      POB 4707, Jerusalem, Israel 91401
      Phone: +972-2-5619660 Fax: +972-2-5634203
      ane.als@...