Re-Ancient urbanism

  • Eliot Braun
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 2, 2007
      It seems that once every few years someone discovers 'America' and the papers pick it up. Just to remind this list, there is a number of large population centers in the 4th mill. which developed into stratified, apparently hierarchical social organizations deserving the appellation, urban. They are not all in Mesopotamia, they appear to be found in Iran (Susa and another site touted site, the name of which escapes me), Arslantepe/Malatya in Turkey, Tell Hamoukar in Syria, and quite possibly additional sites in Mesopotamia and Syria, which lie below the ruins of others better known for later periods.My guess is that, as the less well prospected areas of Central Asia become better known archaeologically, other regions will also yield evidence for this. As for China and India, I don't know enough about them to comment. What is of interest to me is that the whole phenomenon is one that repeated itself, independently and at different times throughout the world, as may be judged from evidence in the new world. And with that urbanism there appears to be a human need for monumental constructions such as the Mesopotamian ziggurats, the pyramids of the Nile Valley, those of coastal Peru and Mexico and central America, cite some examples.

      The model of smaller centers growing together and merging into an urban center is reminiscent of London and Paris, which today incorporate scores of villages that merged into these cities, now major urban centers.

      Eliot Braun, Ph D
      Ha-oren 12, Har Adar, Israel 90836
      Tel. 972-2-5345687