Tel Rehov beehives

  • Ariel L. Szczupak
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 31, 2007
      There was a TV report a couple of days ago on Tel Rehov (Beni Lis,
      channel 11). I missed the beginning and was interrupted several times
      during the report. What I did manage to see was quiet amazing. A
      "farm of beehives (over 30?) within the city, trapped under collapsed
      stones, some crushed, but some intact with remains of bees and
      honeycombs (undergoing lab work in various universities). Estimated
      production of 500kg (which is about 1500 "normal" sized jars). And,
      if I got it right, in the same context they found figurines and other
      cultic objects, and inscriptions (ostraca?).

      I haven't seen anything on this on the internet, besides a mention of
      beehives. It'd be very nice if someone here can correct anything I
      got wrong and maybe add some details (without violating issues of
      publications, of course).

      Some of the questions:

      The presenter kept saying "Solomon" and Israelites, so I guess he
      meant 10th cbc? 9th cbc? Which layer exactly?

      Are the collapsed stones from a structure from the same stratum or
      from a more recent one? IIRC Iron II in Tel Rehov is mostly mud, not stones.

      What types of inscriptions? Bookkeeping? Letters? Cultic?

      Is an association of honey production with cultic objects something
      known from other places?

      And the most intriguing - a beehive farm within an urban environment.
      Are there precedents? (not only from the ANE)

      Ariel.

      ---
      Ariel L. Szczupak
      AMIS-JLM (Ricercar Ltd.)
      POB 4707, Jerusalem, Israel 91401
      Phone: +972-2-5619660 Fax: +972-2-5634203
      ane.als@...
    • Ariel L. Szczupak
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 1, 2007
        Added question -

        Beehives bring immediately the honey production association, but they
        also produce wax. Could the clay figurines in the same context be
        models for lost-wax casting? Any sign of an associated metal industry?

        At 03:31 AM 9/1/2007, Ariel L. Szczupak wrote:
        >There was a TV report a couple of days ago on Tel Rehov (Beni Lis,
        >channel 11). I missed the beginning and was interrupted several
        >times during the report. What I did manage to see was quiet amazing.
        >A "farm of beehives (over 30?) within the city, trapped under
        >collapsed stones, some crushed, but some intact with remains of bees
        >and honeycombs (undergoing lab work in various universities).
        >Estimated production of 500kg (which is about 1500 "normal" sized
        >jars). And, if I got it right, in the same context they found
        >figurines and other cultic objects, and inscriptions (ostraca?).
        >
        >I haven't seen anything on this on the internet, besides a mention
        >of beehives. It'd be very nice if someone here can correct anything
        >I got wrong and maybe add some details (without violating issues of
        >publications, of course).
        >
        >Some of the questions:
        >
        >The presenter kept saying "Solomon" and Israelites, so I guess he
        >meant 10th cbc? 9th cbc? Which layer exactly?
        >
        >Are the collapsed stones from a structure from the same stratum or
        >from a more recent one? IIRC Iron II in Tel Rehov is mostly mud, not stones.
        >
        >What types of inscriptions? Bookkeeping? Letters? Cultic?
        >
        >Is an association of honey production with cultic objects something
        >known from other places?
        >
        >And the most intriguing - a beehive farm within an urban
        >environment. Are there precedents? (not only from the ANE)
        >

        >Ariel.
        >
        >[100% bona fide dilettante ... delecto ergo sum!]
        >
        >---
        >Ariel L. Szczupak
        >AMIS-JLM (Ricercar Ltd.)
        >POB 4707, Jerusalem, Israel 91401
        >Phone: +972-2-5619660 Fax: +972-2-5634203
        >ane.als@...

        Ariel.

        ---
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 3, 2007
          At 03:31 AM 9/1/2007, Ariel L. Szczupak wrote:
          [...]
          >The presenter kept saying "Solomon" and Israelites, so I guess he
          >meant 10th cbc? 9th cbc? Which layer exactly?

          Building H, stratum V, area C, from:

          http://www.hadashot-esi.org.il/report_detail_eng.asp?id=472

          >Are the collapsed stones from a structure from the same stratum or
          >from a more recent one? IIRC Iron II in Tel Rehov is mostly mud, not stones.

          Correction: I misheard and the reporter said bricks, not stones.

          Ariel.

          ---
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 6, 2007
            At 03:31 AM 9/1/2007, Ariel L. Szczupak wrote:
            [...]

            >And the most intriguing - a beehive farm within an urban
            >environment. Are there precedents? (not only from the ANE)

            In case I'm not the only one fascinated by this, here are two URLs
            (out of many) with formal and informal info on modern urban apiaries.

            http://nwoba.honeyrunapiaries.com/6.31.0.0.1.0.phtml

            http://www.beesource.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-194903.html

            And here are images of a place in Chicago with 100 hives:

            http://chicagohoneycoop.com/photo_player_flash.html

            And those with JSTOR access may wish to check ...

            http://links.jstor.org/sici?sici=0018-098X(198507%2F09)54%3A3%3C257%3AHI%3E2.0.CO%3B2-S

            ... that says "it is possible that the use of cylindrical clay
            beehives in Greece may go back to the Bronze Age" (I have no idea
            what is the context of this sentence).

            Ariel.

            ---