RE: [ANE-2] Re: Mithras "quote"

  • Trudy Kawami
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 6 7:59 AM
      Dierk, you are right. That's what I get for trying to post while doing
      something else. (Multi-tasking in August is damgerous to one's health -
      or at least mind.)
      Trudy

      ________________________________

      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 23 3:28 AM
        --- In ANE-2@yahoogroups.com, "Dierk van den Berg" <haGalil@...>
        wrote:

        > We have Freke and Gandy quoting Godwin, who is quoting
        > Vermaseren, who is quoting Cumont, who is quoting a lone
        > manuscript that was written in the terror of the year one
        > thousand, so I'll bet you dollars to donut
        > holes that we are high probably dealing with Adso of Montier-en-
        > Der's 'Libellus de Antichristo' 954 CE.

        Most interesting! Where is the bit about the year 1000? Adso is a
        writer that I have not come across before -- is this a published
        work?

        For reference, I have the Cumont paper, which refers to an unknown
        work in Garshuni in Mingana Ms. 142.

        Mingana catalogue page image:

        http://www.tertullian.org/rpearse/mithras/mingana142.png

        Transcribing the Syriac:

        'Mention also is made of the god bnd'ritos, who was worshipped until
        the arrival of Christ.

        'On folio 59a it is said that Zoroaster (zrdšh plus a seyame -- why
        is this plural?) said to his disciple, "Anyone who does not eat my
        body and drink my blood and mix with me and I with him, will have no
        salvation."'

        Cumont article "Un bas relief Mithriaque du louvre" is here,
        temporarily, in PDF:

        http://www.tertullian.org/rpearse/mithras/cumont_ra6_25_1946_zardusht
        .pdf

        For those willing to tolerate some errors, a scan of the text is
        here:

        http://www.tertullian.org/rpearse/mithras/cumont_ra6_25_1946_zardusht
        .htm

        A rough English translation of the relevant bit:
        --start---
        St. Justin and Tertullian see in these mithraic meals a satanic
        imitation of the Christian communion [1]. The Greek apologist,
        recalling how the eucharist was instituted, ends by observing that
        the perverse demons imitated it in the mysteries of Mithras, and he
        refers to ritual formulas which were marked on the bread and the cup
        presented to the worshipper during his initiation; they must have
        offered some resemblance to the words pronounced by Jesus in the
        last supper [2].

        A strange passage in a late work may perhaps compensate for the
        reticence of Justin, who scrupled to reproduce the pagan formulae.
        An Arab manuscript in Syriac characters (Karshuni) of the Library of
        Birmingham [3] containing a homily or pastoral letter, the theme of
        which is to put side by side the false pretentions of the Jews and
        Magians and the true wisdom of Christianity. The motif which is
        repeated with monotonous rigour, is that the devil has accomplished
        a series of miracles among the unbelievers, but, to these false
        miracles, God has opposed true ones.

        Speaking about the Magi [193.1], the unknown author asserts that
        Zoroaster, having built pyres, exhorted his followers to throw
        themselves into the fire, and that they would seem to perish in the
        flames; and then coming out safe and well, they would appear to have
        come back from the dead, but this was only an illusion produced by
        magic spells. But Christ measured himself against Zoroaster, and by
        really bringing people back from the dead, made the propaganda of
        the Magi in the whole world pointless.

        Then the Christian writer adds: "This Zardasht again says to his
        disciples: whoever does not eat of my body and does not drink of my
        blood, so that he mixes with me and I mix with him, he will not have
        salvation... But Christ says to his disciples: Whoever eats my body
        and drinks my blood will have eternal life. [193.2]"

        The first part of this passage really goes back to a Mazdaean
        tradition, according to which similar wonders proved the divine
        mission of Zoroaster. In his childhood, he is thrown into a large
        bonfire at the instigation of the wizards, but the burning flames
        save him and his mother finds him alive [195.1]. Later, one reads
        elsewhere, the prophet being withdrawn on a mountain, a rain of fire
        set fire to him, but the Persians, who had come to pray in this
        place, see the prophet appear unharmed [195.2].

        When the author of the Arab homily claims to have consulted a book
        of the Magi, the title of which unfortunately could not be
        deciphered, he appears to be telling the truth. There is thus some
        probability that he also found in this book the words which he gives
        to Zoroaster addressing his disciples.

        So had this book transferred to the person of the founder of
        Mazdaeism that which the Mithraists applied to the Bull; that it was
        necessary, in a mystical meal, to consume its flesh and to drink its
        blood? Perhaps. But our medieval source is so confused that it would
        be labour lost, I believe, to try to clarify this.

        It is not doubtful that certain Magi moved their traditions closer
        to the doctrines of the Church and claimed for themselves the
        priority. A Mazdaean myth, stripped of its true sense, was called
        upon to prove that Jesus, whose miraculous star was to announce the
        birth to the astrologers of Persia, was an avatar of Zoroaster
        [195.3]: "He will arise, says he, from my family and my line; I am
        him, and he is me; I am in him, and he is in me " These words offer
        a singular analogy with those of the anonymous Arab "so that he
        mixes with me and I mix with him".

        F. Cumont.
        ---

        1. Tertullien. De praescr. haeret.. 40 : Mithra celebrat et panis
        oblationem et imaginent resurrectionis inducit. »

        2. Justin. Apol. I, 66 ...

        3. A. Mingana, Catalogue of the Mingana collection of manuscripts
        (Birmingham, Selley Oak colleges library) Cambridge, 1933. Ms.
        Mingana, n° 142, ff. 48 - 61. --- Our attention was drawn to this
        manuscript by Fr. Vosé, whose erudition as an orientalist has again
        allowed us to profit from his discoveries. Our friend Mr. Levi della
        Vida agreed to undertake to translate the Karshuni work which
        interested us, with his proven competence, and he proposed to study
        in it more detail and determine its sources and date. The war has
        unfortunately halted his research; let us hope, only temporarily.

        193.1. We reproduce here the translation of what this difficult to
        access and sometimes not very comprehensible work says about the
        Magi. f. 158 b: "As for the sect of the Magi, we will say again to
        you what did Zardasht in the time of L d. yû. n (or c. d. yû. n),
        the 82nd king after Adam. He started pyres, and accomplished
        prodigies which induced souls to obey him. Among his various
        miracles, he excited people to throw themselves into the pyres, and
        those who saw them believed that they burned, but all this was art
        of sorcery. After some time, as they always found them in the pyres,
        the people believed (f. 159 a) that they were resuscitated, as the
        book Z. b. h. r. and other books of the Magi attest. This Zardasht
        again says to his disciples: whoever does not eat of my body and
        does not drink of my blood, so that he mixes with me and I mix with
        him, he will not have salvation." When his works became famous, and
        his followers spread in the world, they boiled and drank beef.

        193.2. Jean, VI, 53; cf Matth., XXVI, 26. — On the introduction of a
        similar formula into Manicheism, cf Alberry, Das manichäische Bema-
        Fest (Zeitschr. F Neutest. Wissenschaft, 1938, XXXVII, p. 7).

        195.1. Dinkart, VII, 3, 8 s. (West, Pahlavi Texts, V, 36), Zad-
        Sparam, XVI, 7 (Ibid., p. 146). The same story in the Persian
        Zarâtust Nama (Rosenberg, Le livre de Zoroastre, 1904, c. 8, p. 12).

        195.2. Dion Chrysost... Or.. XXXVI, 39. cf. our Mages hellénisés. I,
        p. 29 ; II, p. 143. In the same way at the end of the world, the
        just will traverse a river of fire without feeling the burning
        (Boundahish, XXX. 18).

        195.3. Theodore bar Koni, in Mages hellénisés, vol. II, p. 128
        (translation of P. Peeters) ; cf. vol. I, p. 52 ff.
        ---