Discovering the 3rd millennium BCE

  • Eliot Braun
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 5, 2007
      Here is a link which reviews a number of discoveries that are not well known.The article is full of tantalizing information, but the author's conclusions should be taken with a grain of salt. He obviously is unaware of the 4th mill BCE cites of Mesopotamia and Syria, nor does he seem to know anything about the Levant and Anatolia in that time span and in the 3rd mill BCE.

      http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/08/070802182042.htm

      Eliot Braun, Ph D
      Ha-oren 12, Har Adar, Israel 90836
      Tel. 972-2-5345687

    • Trudy Kawami
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 6, 2007
        Eliot,
        Alas, Lawler is often more interesting in writing a dramatic scenario
        than conveying knowlege. His earlier articles on the tpic are equally
        "Gee whiz!!" in tone. sigh...
        Trudy Kawami

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 6, 2007
          From: "Eliot Braun" <ebraun@...>
          > Here is a link which reviews a number of discoveries that are not well
          > known.The article is full of tantalizing information, but the author's
          > conclusions should be taken with a grain of salt. He obviously is unaware
          > of the 4th mill BCE cites of Mesopotamia and Syria, nor does he seem to
          > know anything about the Levant and Anatolia in that time span and in the
          > 3rd mill BCE.

          from
          > > http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/08/070802182042.htm

          "At Gonur in Turkmenistan, the researchers have found seals from Mesopotamia
          and the Indus region, along with some Iranian goods."

          It would be interesting to know how the new sites were dated, and to learn
          more about those seals. These discoveries may shed light on what caused the
          "dark age" of the Indus. This gap in the archaeological record lasted more
          than a millennium and includes the Persian period, even though Herodotus
          identified the Indus as one of imperial Persia's most populous satrapies and
          greatest producers of wealth.

          Clark Whelton
          New York
        • Trudy Kawami
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 6, 2007
            The "Mesopotamian seals" from Gonur Tepe, Merv Oasis (anc. Margiana) ,
            are a bit elusive. Several cylinder seals were excavated, but the
            imagery cut into them reflects local and/or eastern Iranian taste &
            style. There are a lot of bovids depicted which led the excavator to
            posit a Mesopotamian connection, but there is very little that would be
            at home in Mesopotomia. The various sites of the region were first
            explored by Soviet archaeologists the 1950s, and from the late '80s
            onward have been published in western languages. One good early overview
            is

            Philip L. Kohl, ed. The Bronze Age Civilization of Central Asia: recent
            soviet discoveries. Armonk, NY; M.E. Sharp, 1981

            There is in fact many connections between the BMAC (Bactria Margiana
            Archaeological Complex), eastern Iran and the Persian Gulf in the late
            3rd & early 2nd mill. BCE. I would recommend Sylvia Winckelmann.
            "Intercultural Relations between Iran, the Murghabo-Bactrian
            Archaeological Complex (BMAC), Northwest India and Failaka in the Field
            of Seals." East and West 50, nos.1-4 (December, 2000), pp.43-95 on this
            topic. None of this howeveer, sheds any light on the first mill. BCE,
            let alone the Achaemenid period.

            Trudy Kawami

            ________________________________

            "At Gonur in Turkmenistan, the researchers have found seals from
            Mesopotamia
            and the Indus region, along with some Iranian goods."

            It would be interesting to know how the new sites were dated, and to
            learn
            more about those seals. These discoveries may shed light on what caused
            the
            "dark age" of the Indus. This gap in the archaeological record lasted
            more
            than a millennium and includes the Persian period, even though Herodotus

            identified the Indus as one of imperial Persia's most populous satrapies
            and
            greatest producers of wealth.

            Clark Whelton
            New York

            Recent Activity

            *
            4
            New Members
            <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ANE-2/members;_ylc=X3oDMTJnbmZhamNtBF9TAz
            k3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzE3MjM1NTE4BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTg0MTQ2NwRzZWMDdnRsBHNsaw
            N2bWJycwRzdGltZQMxMTg2NDIyOTY4>

            Visit Your Group
            <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ANE-2;_ylc=X3oDMTJmcXVsbHZmBF9TAzk3MzU5Nz
            E0BGdycElkAzE3MjM1NTE4BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTg0MTQ2NwRzZWMDdnRsBHNsawN2Z2hwBH
            N0aW1lAzExODY0MjI5Njg->

            * American school
            <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads;_ylc=X3oDMTJkdDQ3M203BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BF9wA
            zEEZ3JwSWQDMTcyMzU1MTgEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1ODQxNDY3BHNlYwNzbG1vZARzdGltZQMxM
            Tg2NDIyOTY5?t=ms&k=American+school&w1=American+school&w2=Biblical+exeges
            is&w3=American+home+school&w4=American+broadcasting+school&w5=University
            +of+helsinki&c=5&s=132&g=2&.sig=OJBQVAXNTuDj7zxWf04cjA>
            * Biblical exegesis
            <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads;_ylc=X3oDMTJkMzlnMW5zBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BF9wA
            zIEZ3JwSWQDMTcyMzU1MTgEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1ODQxNDY3BHNlYwNzbG1vZARzdGltZQMxM
            Tg2NDIyOTY5?t=ms&k=Biblical+exegesis&w1=American+school&w2=Biblical+exeg
            esis&w3=American+home+school&w4=American+broadcasting+school&w5=Universi
            ty+of+helsinki&c=5&s=132&g=2&.sig=m8jmpHT8an6SU7fwu4XXnQ>
            * American home school
            <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads;_ylc=X3oDMTJkaGlmY2E2BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BF9wA
            zMEZ3JwSWQDMTcyMzU1MTgEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1ODQxNDY3BHNlYwNzbG1vZARzdGltZQMxM
            Tg2NDIyOTY5?t=ms&k=American+home+school&w1=American+school&w2=Biblical+e
            xegesis&w3=American+home+school&w4=American+broadcasting+school&w5=Unive
            rsity+of+helsinki&c=5&s=132&g=2&.sig=4vtCvVd8cXM27GHxV1fhAw>
            * American broadcasting school
            <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads;_ylc=X3oDMTJkbzI3M3Q2BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BF9wA
            zQEZ3JwSWQDMTcyMzU1MTgEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1ODQxNDY3BHNlYwNzbG1vZARzdGltZQMxM
            Tg2NDIyOTY5?t=ms&k=American+broadcasting+school&w1=American+school&w2=Bi
            blical+exegesis&w3=American+home+school&w4=American+broadcasting+school&
            w5=University+of+helsinki&c=5&s=132&g=2&.sig=K1wj52or7mwQ1MrAagZPBA>
            * University of helsinki
            <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads;_ylc=X3oDMTJkNWgzcGt2BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BF9wA
            zUEZ3JwSWQDMTcyMzU1MTgEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1ODQxNDY3BHNlYwNzbG1vZARzdGltZQMxM
            Tg2NDIyOTY5?t=ms&k=University+of+helsinki&w1=American+school&w2=Biblical
            +exegesis&w3=American+home+school&w4=American+broadcasting+school&w5=Uni
            versity+of+helsinki&c=5&s=132&g=2&.sig=Qe9pTmgmIlyujXRYNcp8dw>

            Yahoo! News

            Fashion News
            <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=12js8p0ro/M=493064.10729659.11333350.867457
            8/D=groups/S=1705841467:NC/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1186430169/A=3848621/R=0/SIG=12u6
            o6g3h/*http://news.yahoo.com/i/1597;_ylt=A9FJqa5Gxa5E2jgAYQKVEhkF;_ylu=X
            3oDMTA2MnU4czRtBHNlYwNzbg-->

            What's the word on

            fashion and style?

            Yahoo! TV

            Staying in tonight?
            <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=12jp7smv3/M=493064.10729663.11333354.867457
            8/D=groups/S=1705841467:NC/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1186430169/A=3848445/R=0/SIG=10t2
            8jksf/*http://tv.yahoo.com/lineup/>

            Check listings to

            see what is on.

            Yoga Groups

            Find Enlightenment
            <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=12j6of3ms/M=493064.10771301.11554070.867457
            8/D=groups/S=1705841467:NC/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1186430169/A=4699085/R=0/SIG=11pv
            8cj55/*http://advision.webevents.yahoo.com/yogazone/index.html>

            & exchange insights

            with other members

            .

            <http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=17235518/grpspId=1705841467/
            msgId=5839/stime=1186422969/nc1=3848621/nc2=3848445/nc3=4699085>