Re: Mithras "quote"

  • Dierk van den Berg
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 4, 2007
      We have Freke and Gandy quoting Godwin, who is quoting Vermaseren, who
      is quoting Cumont, who is quoting a lone manuscript that was written in
      the terror of the year one thousand, so I'll bet you dollars to donut
      holes that we are high probably dealing with Adso of Montier-en-
      Der's 'Libellus de Antichristo' 954 CE.

      tot ziens
      Dierk van den Berg

      ---------- // ----------

      --- In ANE-2@yahoogroups.com, "Roger Pearse" <roger_pearse@...> wrote:

      > --- In ANE-2@yahoogroups.com, "Dierk van den Berg" <haGalil@> wrote:
      > > Actually, for Joh 6.53-56 is not rooted in the Gathas of
      > > the Avesta, the "Mithraic" saying in question is late
      > > esoteric rparaphrase - too late to take it seriously.
      >
      > Sorry, but does this mean that you know the source of this saying or
      > paraphrase? If so, whereabouts in the sources is it to be found?
      >
      > Thanks,
      >
      > Roger Pearse

    • Trudy Kawami
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 6, 2007
        Dierk, you are right. That's what I get for trying to post while doing
        something else. (Multi-tasking in August is damgerous to one's health -
        or at least mind.)
        Trudy

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 23, 2007
          wrote:

          > We have Freke and Gandy quoting Godwin, who is quoting
          > Vermaseren, who is quoting Cumont, who is quoting a lone
          > manuscript that was written in the terror of the year one
          > thousand, so I'll bet you dollars to donut
          > holes that we are high probably dealing with Adso of Montier-en-
          > Der's 'Libellus de Antichristo' 954 CE.

          Most interesting! Where is the bit about the year 1000? Adso is a
          writer that I have not come across before -- is this a published
          work?

          For reference, I have the Cumont paper, which refers to an unknown
          work in Garshuni in Mingana Ms. 142.

          Mingana catalogue page image:

          http://www.tertullian.org/rpearse/mithras/mingana142.png

          Transcribing the Syriac:

          'Mention also is made of the god bnd'ritos, who was worshipped until
          the arrival of Christ.

          'On folio 59a it is said that Zoroaster (zrdšh plus a seyame -- why
          is this plural?) said to his disciple, "Anyone who does not eat my
          body and drink my blood and mix with me and I with him, will have no
          salvation."'

          Cumont article "Un bas relief Mithriaque du louvre" is here,
          temporarily, in PDF:

          http://www.tertullian.org/rpearse/mithras/cumont_ra6_25_1946_zardusht
          .pdf

          For those willing to tolerate some errors, a scan of the text is
          here:

          http://www.tertullian.org/rpearse/mithras/cumont_ra6_25_1946_zardusht
          .htm

          A rough English translation of the relevant bit:
          --start---
          St. Justin and Tertullian see in these mithraic meals a satanic
          imitation of the Christian communion [1]. The Greek apologist,
          recalling how the eucharist was instituted, ends by observing that
          the perverse demons imitated it in the mysteries of Mithras, and he
          refers to ritual formulas which were marked on the bread and the cup
          presented to the worshipper during his initiation; they must have
          offered some resemblance to the words pronounced by Jesus in the
          last supper [2].

          A strange passage in a late work may perhaps compensate for the
          reticence of Justin, who scrupled to reproduce the pagan formulae.
          An Arab manuscript in Syriac characters (Karshuni) of the Library of
          Birmingham [3] containing a homily or pastoral letter, the theme of
          which is to put side by side the false pretentions of the Jews and
          Magians and the true wisdom of Christianity. The motif which is
          repeated with monotonous rigour, is that the devil has accomplished
          a series of miracles among the unbelievers, but, to these false
          miracles, God has opposed true ones.

          Speaking about the Magi [193.1], the unknown author asserts that
          Zoroaster, having built pyres, exhorted his followers to throw
          themselves into the fire, and that they would seem to perish in the
          flames; and then coming out safe and well, they would appear to have
          come back from the dead, but this was only an illusion produced by
          magic spells. But Christ measured himself against Zoroaster, and by
          really bringing people back from the dead, made the propaganda of
          the Magi in the whole world pointless.

          Then the Christian writer adds: "This Zardasht again says to his
          disciples: whoever does not eat of my body and does not drink of my
          blood, so that he mixes with me and I mix with him, he will not have
          salvation... But Christ says to his disciples: Whoever eats my body
          and drinks my blood will have eternal life. [193.2]"

          The first part of this passage really goes back to a Mazdaean
          tradition, according to which similar wonders proved the divine
          mission of Zoroaster. In his childhood, he is thrown into a large
          bonfire at the instigation of the wizards, but the burning flames
          save him and his mother finds him alive [195.1]. Later, one reads
          elsewhere, the prophet being withdrawn on a mountain, a rain of fire
          set fire to him, but the Persians, who had come to pray in this
          place, see the prophet appear unharmed [195.2].

          When the author of the Arab homily claims to have consulted a book
          of the Magi, the title of which unfortunately could not be
          deciphered, he appears to be telling the truth. There is thus some
          probability that he also found in this book the words which he gives
          to Zoroaster addressing his disciples.

          So had this book transferred to the person of the founder of
          Mazdaeism that which the Mithraists applied to the Bull; that it was
          necessary, in a mystical meal, to consume its flesh and to drink its
          blood? Perhaps. But our medieval source is so confused that it would
          be labour lost, I believe, to try to clarify this.

          It is not doubtful that certain Magi moved their traditions closer
          to the doctrines of the Church and claimed for themselves the
          priority. A Mazdaean myth, stripped of its true sense, was called
          upon to prove that Jesus, whose miraculous star was to announce the
          birth to the astrologers of Persia, was an avatar of Zoroaster
          [195.3]: "He will arise, says he, from my family and my line; I am
          him, and he is me; I am in him, and he is in me " These words offer
          a singular analogy with those of the anonymous Arab "so that he
          mixes with me and I mix with him".

          F. Cumont.
          ---

          1. Tertullien. De praescr. haeret.. 40 : Mithra celebrat et panis
          oblationem et imaginent resurrectionis inducit. »

          2. Justin. Apol. I, 66 ...

          3. A. Mingana, Catalogue of the Mingana collection of manuscripts
          (Birmingham, Selley Oak colleges library) Cambridge, 1933. Ms.
          Mingana, n° 142, ff. 48 - 61. --- Our attention was drawn to this
          manuscript by Fr. Vosé, whose erudition as an orientalist has again
          allowed us to profit from his discoveries. Our friend Mr. Levi della
          Vida agreed to undertake to translate the Karshuni work which
          interested us, with his proven competence, and he proposed to study
          in it more detail and determine its sources and date. The war has
          unfortunately halted his research; let us hope, only temporarily.

          193.1. We reproduce here the translation of what this difficult to
          access and sometimes not very comprehensible work says about the
          Magi. f. 158 b: "As for the sect of the Magi, we will say again to
          you what did Zardasht in the time of L d. yû. n (or c. d. yû. n),
          the 82nd king after Adam. He started pyres, and accomplished
          prodigies which induced souls to obey him. Among his various
          miracles, he excited people to throw themselves into the pyres, and
          those who saw them believed that they burned, but all this was art
          of sorcery. After some time, as they always found them in the pyres,
          the people believed (f. 159 a) that they were resuscitated, as the
          book Z. b. h. r. and other books of the Magi attest. This Zardasht
          again says to his disciples: whoever does not eat of my body and
          does not drink of my blood, so that he mixes with me and I mix with
          him, he will not have salvation." When his works became famous, and
          his followers spread in the world, they boiled and drank beef.

          193.2. Jean, VI, 53; cf Matth., XXVI, 26. — On the introduction of a
          similar formula into Manicheism, cf Alberry, Das manichäische Bema-
          Fest (Zeitschr. F Neutest. Wissenschaft, 1938, XXXVII, p. 7).

          195.1. Dinkart, VII, 3, 8 s. (West, Pahlavi Texts, V, 36), Zad-
          Sparam, XVI, 7 (Ibid., p. 146). The same story in the Persian
          Zarâtust Nama (Rosenberg, Le livre de Zoroastre, 1904, c. 8, p. 12).

          195.2. Dion Chrysost... Or.. XXXVI, 39. cf. our Mages hellénisés. I,
          p. 29 ; II, p. 143. In the same way at the end of the world, the
          just will traverse a river of fire without feeling the burning
          (Boundahish, XXX. 18).

          195.3. Theodore bar Koni, in Mages hellénisés, vol. II, p. 128
          (translation of P. Peeters) ; cf. vol. I, p. 52 ff.
          ---