Re: Mithras "quote"

  • Roger Pearse
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 4, 2007
      --- In ANE-2@yahoogroups.com, "Dierk van den Berg" <haGalil@...> wrote:
      > Actually, for Joh 6.53-56 is not rooted in the Gathas of
      > the Avesta, the "Mithraic" saying in question is late
      > esoteric rparaphrase - too late to take it seriously.

      Sorry, but does this mean that you know the source of this saying or
      paraphrase? If so, whereabouts in the sources is it to be found?

      Thanks,

      Roger Pearse
    • Dierk van den Berg
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 4, 2007
        We have Freke and Gandy quoting Godwin, who is quoting Vermaseren, who
        is quoting Cumont, who is quoting a lone manuscript that was written in
        the terror of the year one thousand, so I'll bet you dollars to donut
        holes that we are high probably dealing with Adso of Montier-en-
        Der's 'Libellus de Antichristo' 954 CE.

        tot ziens
        Dierk van den Berg

        ---------- // ----------

        --- In ANE-2@yahoogroups.com, "Roger Pearse" <roger_pearse@...> wrote:

        > --- In ANE-2@yahoogroups.com, "Dierk van den Berg" <haGalil@> wrote:
        > > Actually, for Joh 6.53-56 is not rooted in the Gathas of
        > > the Avesta, the "Mithraic" saying in question is late
        > > esoteric rparaphrase - too late to take it seriously.
        >
        > Sorry, but does this mean that you know the source of this saying or
        > paraphrase? If so, whereabouts in the sources is it to be found?
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Roger Pearse

      • Trudy Kawami
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 6, 2007
          Dierk, you are right. That's what I get for trying to post while doing
          something else. (Multi-tasking in August is damgerous to one's health -
          or at least mind.)
          Trudy

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 23, 2007
            wrote:

            > We have Freke and Gandy quoting Godwin, who is quoting
            > Vermaseren, who is quoting Cumont, who is quoting a lone
            > manuscript that was written in the terror of the year one
            > thousand, so I'll bet you dollars to donut
            > holes that we are high probably dealing with Adso of Montier-en-
            > Der's 'Libellus de Antichristo' 954 CE.

            Most interesting! Where is the bit about the year 1000? Adso is a
            writer that I have not come across before -- is this a published
            work?

            For reference, I have the Cumont paper, which refers to an unknown
            work in Garshuni in Mingana Ms. 142.

            Mingana catalogue page image:

            http://www.tertullian.org/rpearse/mithras/mingana142.png

            Transcribing the Syriac:

            'Mention also is made of the god bnd'ritos, who was worshipped until
            the arrival of Christ.

            'On folio 59a it is said that Zoroaster (zrdšh plus a seyame -- why
            is this plural?) said to his disciple, "Anyone who does not eat my
            body and drink my blood and mix with me and I with him, will have no
            salvation."'

            Cumont article "Un bas relief Mithriaque du louvre" is here,
            temporarily, in PDF:

            http://www.tertullian.org/rpearse/mithras/cumont_ra6_25_1946_zardusht
            .pdf

            For those willing to tolerate some errors, a scan of the text is
            here:

            http://www.tertullian.org/rpearse/mithras/cumont_ra6_25_1946_zardusht
            .htm

            A rough English translation of the relevant bit:
            --start---
            St. Justin and Tertullian see in these mithraic meals a satanic
            imitation of the Christian communion [1]. The Greek apologist,
            recalling how the eucharist was instituted, ends by observing that
            the perverse demons imitated it in the mysteries of Mithras, and he
            refers to ritual formulas which were marked on the bread and the cup
            presented to the worshipper during his initiation; they must have
            offered some resemblance to the words pronounced by Jesus in the
            last supper [2].

            A strange passage in a late work may perhaps compensate for the
            reticence of Justin, who scrupled to reproduce the pagan formulae.
            An Arab manuscript in Syriac characters (Karshuni) of the Library of
            Birmingham [3] containing a homily or pastoral letter, the theme of
            which is to put side by side the false pretentions of the Jews and
            Magians and the true wisdom of Christianity. The motif which is
            repeated with monotonous rigour, is that the devil has accomplished
            a series of miracles among the unbelievers, but, to these false
            miracles, God has opposed true ones.

            Speaking about the Magi [193.1], the unknown author asserts that
            Zoroaster, having built pyres, exhorted his followers to throw
            themselves into the fire, and that they would seem to perish in the
            flames; and then coming out safe and well, they would appear to have
            come back from the dead, but this was only an illusion produced by
            magic spells. But Christ measured himself against Zoroaster, and by
            really bringing people back from the dead, made the propaganda of
            the Magi in the whole world pointless.

            Then the Christian writer adds: "This Zardasht again says to his
            disciples: whoever does not eat of my body and does not drink of my
            blood, so that he mixes with me and I mix with him, he will not have
            salvation... But Christ says to his disciples: Whoever eats my body
            and drinks my blood will have eternal life. [193.2]"

            The first part of this passage really goes back to a Mazdaean
            tradition, according to which similar wonders proved the divine
            mission of Zoroaster. In his childhood, he is thrown into a large
            bonfire at the instigation of the wizards, but the burning flames
            save him and his mother finds him alive [195.1]. Later, one reads
            elsewhere, the prophet being withdrawn on a mountain, a rain of fire
            set fire to him, but the Persians, who had come to pray in this
            place, see the prophet appear unharmed [195.2].

            When the author of the Arab homily claims to have consulted a book
            of the Magi, the title of which unfortunately could not be
            deciphered, he appears to be telling the truth. There is thus some
            probability that he also found in this book the words which he gives
            to Zoroaster addressing his disciples.

            So had this book transferred to the person of the founder of
            Mazdaeism that which the Mithraists applied to the Bull; that it was
            necessary, in a mystical meal, to consume its flesh and to drink its
            blood? Perhaps. But our medieval source is so confused that it would
            be labour lost, I believe, to try to clarify this.

            It is not doubtful that certain Magi moved their traditions closer
            to the doctrines of the Church and claimed for themselves the
            priority. A Mazdaean myth, stripped of its true sense, was called
            upon to prove that Jesus, whose miraculous star was to announce the
            birth to the astrologers of Persia, was an avatar of Zoroaster
            [195.3]: "He will arise, says he, from my family and my line; I am
            him, and he is me; I am in him, and he is in me " These words offer
            a singular analogy with those of the anonymous Arab "so that he
            mixes with me and I mix with him".

            F. Cumont.
            ---

            1. Tertullien. De praescr. haeret.. 40 : Mithra celebrat et panis
            oblationem et imaginent resurrectionis inducit. »

            2. Justin. Apol. I, 66 ...

            3. A. Mingana, Catalogue of the Mingana collection of manuscripts
            (Birmingham, Selley Oak colleges library) Cambridge, 1933. Ms.
            Mingana, n° 142, ff. 48 - 61. --- Our attention was drawn to this
            manuscript by Fr. Vosé, whose erudition as an orientalist has again
            allowed us to profit from his discoveries. Our friend Mr. Levi della
            Vida agreed to undertake to translate the Karshuni work which
            interested us, with his proven competence, and he proposed to study
            in it more detail and determine its sources and date. The war has
            unfortunately halted his research; let us hope, only temporarily.

            193.1. We reproduce here the translation of what this difficult to
            access and sometimes not very comprehensible work says about the
            Magi. f. 158 b: "As for the sect of the Magi, we will say again to
            you what did Zardasht in the time of L d. yû. n (or c. d. yû. n),
            the 82nd king after Adam. He started pyres, and accomplished
            prodigies which induced souls to obey him. Among his various
            miracles, he excited people to throw themselves into the pyres, and
            those who saw them believed that they burned, but all this was art
            of sorcery. After some time, as they always found them in the pyres,
            the people believed (f. 159 a) that they were resuscitated, as the
            book Z. b. h. r. and other books of the Magi attest. This Zardasht
            again says to his disciples: whoever does not eat of my body and
            does not drink of my blood, so that he mixes with me and I mix with
            him, he will not have salvation." When his works became famous, and
            his followers spread in the world, they boiled and drank beef.

            193.2. Jean, VI, 53; cf Matth., XXVI, 26. — On the introduction of a
            similar formula into Manicheism, cf Alberry, Das manichäische Bema-
            Fest (Zeitschr. F Neutest. Wissenschaft, 1938, XXXVII, p. 7).

            195.1. Dinkart, VII, 3, 8 s. (West, Pahlavi Texts, V, 36), Zad-
            Sparam, XVI, 7 (Ibid., p. 146). The same story in the Persian
            Zarâtust Nama (Rosenberg, Le livre de Zoroastre, 1904, c. 8, p. 12).

            195.2. Dion Chrysost... Or.. XXXVI, 39. cf. our Mages hellénisés. I,
            p. 29 ; II, p. 143. In the same way at the end of the world, the
            just will traverse a river of fire without feeling the burning
            (Boundahish, XXX. 18).

            195.3. Theodore bar Koni, in Mages hellénisés, vol. II, p. 128
            (translation of P. Peeters) ; cf. vol. I, p. 52 ff.
            ---