Re: Mithtas "quote"

  • Dierk van den Berg
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 3, 2007
      It is not mentioned in the Zarathustrian Gathas, IIRC.

      tot ziens,
      Dierk van den Berg

      --- In ANE-2@yahoogroups.com, "Jeffrey B. Gibson" <jgibson000@...>
      wrote:

      > Dierk van den Berg wrote:
      >
      > > The source is:
      > > Joh 6.53-56.
      >
      > So it would appear. But not, I am told, according to Joscelyn
      Godwin
      > who
      > apparently claims (I don't have the book to check) in her _Mystery
      > Religions in the Ancient World_ (p. 28) the reference is from
      a "Persian
      > Mithraic text," or to Vermaseren (a student of Cumont) who -- again
      I'm
      > told -- notes that the source of this saying is a medieval text and
      the
      > source is Zarathustra, not Mithra. (M.J. Vermaseren, Mithras the
      Secret

      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 3, 2007
        Joscelyn Godwin is an Englishman; he was finishing his graduate studies in musicology at Cornell during my first undergraduate year (1968-69). Among his fascinating publications are a study of Athanasius Kircher, well known for his studies of Egyptian hieroglyphs, and the translation of Hypnerotomachia Poliphili, that most enigmatic of incunabula.

        If it's esoteric, he's your man.

        So it would appear. But not, I am told, according to Joscelyn Godwin
        who
        apparently claims (I don't have the book to check) in her _Mystery
        Religions in the Ancient World_ (p. 28) the reference is from a "Persian
        Mithraic text," or to Vermaseren (a student of Cumont) who -- again I'm
        told -- notes that the source of this saying is a medieval text and the
        source is Zarathustra, not Mithra. (M.J. Vermaseren, Mithras the Secret
        God, p. 103)

        Jeffrey
        --
        Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon)
        1500 W. Pratt Blvd.
        Chicago, Illinois
        e-mail jgibson000@comcast. net

      • Trudy Kawami
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 3, 2007
          Zarathustra is just a western version of the Persian name Zardusht/Zardosht, etc. It is not usually prefaced by "the," that is Zardusht is not a title. The Zardusht-nameh is the "Book of Zardusht," a text of uncertain (very late?) date that is NOT considered a reliable source of anything Zoroastrian. I am afraid that "this important Persian text" is neither Persian nor important.
          Why not go straight to the Avesta & read the sort of sayings attributed to Zoroaster in the Middle Persian (& earlier)texts. The English translation is readily available on line.
          Trudy Kawami

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 4, 2007
            Not really, Trudy.
            Zarathustra is Avestan, Zoroaster is Greek, Zartusht is Middle-
            Persian and, IIRC, Old Iranian Zarat-ushtra.

            Actually, for Joh 6.53-56 is not rooted in the Gathas of the Avesta,
            the "Mithraic" saying in question is late esoteric rparaphrase - too
            late to take it seriously.

            tot ziens
            _Dierk van den Berg

            ------------ /// ------------

            --- In ANE-2@yahoogroups.com, "Trudy Kawami" <tkawami@...> wrote:

            > Zarathustra is just a western version of the Persian name
            Zardusht/Zardosht, etc. It is not usually prefaced by "the," that is
            Zardusht is not a title. The Zardusht-nameh is the "Book of
            Zardusht," a text of uncertain (very late?) date that is NOT
            considered a reliable source of anything Zoroastrian. I am afraid
            that "this important Persian text" is neither Persian nor important.
            > Why not go straight to the Avesta & read the sort of sayings
            attributed to Zoroaster in the Middle Persian (& earlier)texts. The
            English translation is readily available on line.
            > Trudy Kawami
            >
            > ________________________________

          • Roger Pearse
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 4, 2007
              --- In ANE-2@yahoogroups.com, "Dierk van den Berg" <haGalil@...> wrote:
              > Actually, for Joh 6.53-56 is not rooted in the Gathas of
              > the Avesta, the "Mithraic" saying in question is late
              > esoteric rparaphrase - too late to take it seriously.

              Sorry, but does this mean that you know the source of this saying or
              paraphrase? If so, whereabouts in the sources is it to be found?

              Thanks,

              Roger Pearse
            • Dierk van den Berg
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 4, 2007
                We have Freke and Gandy quoting Godwin, who is quoting Vermaseren, who
                is quoting Cumont, who is quoting a lone manuscript that was written in
                the terror of the year one thousand, so I'll bet you dollars to donut
                holes that we are high probably dealing with Adso of Montier-en-
                Der's 'Libellus de Antichristo' 954 CE.

                tot ziens
                Dierk van den Berg

                ---------- // ----------

                --- In ANE-2@yahoogroups.com, "Roger Pearse" <roger_pearse@...> wrote:

                > --- In ANE-2@yahoogroups.com, "Dierk van den Berg" <haGalil@> wrote:
                > > Actually, for Joh 6.53-56 is not rooted in the Gathas of
                > > the Avesta, the "Mithraic" saying in question is late
                > > esoteric rparaphrase - too late to take it seriously.
                >
                > Sorry, but does this mean that you know the source of this saying or
                > paraphrase? If so, whereabouts in the sources is it to be found?
                >
                > Thanks,
                >
                > Roger Pearse

              • Trudy Kawami
                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 6, 2007
                  Dierk, you are right. That's what I get for trying to post while doing
                  something else. (Multi-tasking in August is damgerous to one's health -
                  or at least mind.)
                  Trudy

                  ________________________________

                  --- In ANE-2@yahoogroups.com <mailto:ANE-2%40yahoogroups.com> , "Trudy
                  Kawami" <tkawami@...> wrote:

                  > Zarathustra is just a western version of the Persian name
                  Zardusht/Zardosht, etc. It is not usually prefaced by "the," that is
                  Zardusht is not a title. The Zardusht-nameh is the "Book of
                  Zardusht," a text of uncertain (very late?) date that is NOT
                  considered a reliable source of anything Zoroastrian. I am afraid
                  that "this important Persian text" is neither Persian nor important.
                  > Why not go straight to the Avesta & read the sort of sayings
                  attributed to Zoroaster in the Middle Persian (& earlier)texts. The
                  English translation is readily available on line.
                  > Trudy Kawami
                  >
                  > ________________________________

                • Roger Pearse
                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 23, 2007
                    wrote:

                    > We have Freke and Gandy quoting Godwin, who is quoting
                    > Vermaseren, who is quoting Cumont, who is quoting a lone
                    > manuscript that was written in the terror of the year one
                    > thousand, so I'll bet you dollars to donut
                    > holes that we are high probably dealing with Adso of Montier-en-
                    > Der's 'Libellus de Antichristo' 954 CE.

                    Most interesting! Where is the bit about the year 1000? Adso is a
                    writer that I have not come across before -- is this a published
                    work?

                    For reference, I have the Cumont paper, which refers to an unknown
                    work in Garshuni in Mingana Ms. 142.

                    Mingana catalogue page image:

                    http://www.tertullian.org/rpearse/mithras/mingana142.png

                    Transcribing the Syriac:

                    'Mention also is made of the god bnd'ritos, who was worshipped until
                    the arrival of Christ.

                    'On folio 59a it is said that Zoroaster (zrdšh plus a seyame -- why
                    is this plural?) said to his disciple, "Anyone who does not eat my
                    body and drink my blood and mix with me and I with him, will have no
                    salvation."'

                    Cumont article "Un bas relief Mithriaque du louvre" is here,
                    temporarily, in PDF:

                    http://www.tertullian.org/rpearse/mithras/cumont_ra6_25_1946_zardusht
                    .pdf

                    For those willing to tolerate some errors, a scan of the text is
                    here:

                    http://www.tertullian.org/rpearse/mithras/cumont_ra6_25_1946_zardusht
                    .htm

                    A rough English translation of the relevant bit:
                    --start---
                    St. Justin and Tertullian see in these mithraic meals a satanic
                    imitation of the Christian communion [1]. The Greek apologist,
                    recalling how the eucharist was instituted, ends by observing that
                    the perverse demons imitated it in the mysteries of Mithras, and he
                    refers to ritual formulas which were marked on the bread and the cup
                    presented to the worshipper during his initiation; they must have
                    offered some resemblance to the words pronounced by Jesus in the
                    last supper [2].

                    A strange passage in a late work may perhaps compensate for the
                    reticence of Justin, who scrupled to reproduce the pagan formulae.
                    An Arab manuscript in Syriac characters (Karshuni) of the Library of
                    Birmingham [3] containing a homily or pastoral letter, the theme of
                    which is to put side by side the false pretentions of the Jews and
                    Magians and the true wisdom of Christianity. The motif which is
                    repeated with monotonous rigour, is that the devil has accomplished
                    a series of miracles among the unbelievers, but, to these false
                    miracles, God has opposed true ones.

                    Speaking about the Magi [193.1], the unknown author asserts that
                    Zoroaster, having built pyres, exhorted his followers to throw
                    themselves into the fire, and that they would seem to perish in the
                    flames; and then coming out safe and well, they would appear to have
                    come back from the dead, but this was only an illusion produced by
                    magic spells. But Christ measured himself against Zoroaster, and by
                    really bringing people back from the dead, made the propaganda of
                    the Magi in the whole world pointless.

                    Then the Christian writer adds: "This Zardasht again says to his
                    disciples: whoever does not eat of my body and does not drink of my
                    blood, so that he mixes with me and I mix with him, he will not have
                    salvation... But Christ says to his disciples: Whoever eats my body
                    and drinks my blood will have eternal life. [193.2]"

                    The first part of this passage really goes back to a Mazdaean
                    tradition, according to which similar wonders proved the divine
                    mission of Zoroaster. In his childhood, he is thrown into a large
                    bonfire at the instigation of the wizards, but the burning flames
                    save him and his mother finds him alive [195.1]. Later, one reads
                    elsewhere, the prophet being withdrawn on a mountain, a rain of fire
                    set fire to him, but the Persians, who had come to pray in this
                    place, see the prophet appear unharmed [195.2].

                    When the author of the Arab homily claims to have consulted a book
                    of the Magi, the title of which unfortunately could not be
                    deciphered, he appears to be telling the truth. There is thus some
                    probability that he also found in this book the words which he gives
                    to Zoroaster addressing his disciples.

                    So had this book transferred to the person of the founder of
                    Mazdaeism that which the Mithraists applied to the Bull; that it was
                    necessary, in a mystical meal, to consume its flesh and to drink its
                    blood? Perhaps. But our medieval source is so confused that it would
                    be labour lost, I believe, to try to clarify this.

                    It is not doubtful that certain Magi moved their traditions closer
                    to the doctrines of the Church and claimed for themselves the
                    priority. A Mazdaean myth, stripped of its true sense, was called
                    upon to prove that Jesus, whose miraculous star was to announce the
                    birth to the astrologers of Persia, was an avatar of Zoroaster
                    [195.3]: "He will arise, says he, from my family and my line; I am
                    him, and he is me; I am in him, and he is in me " These words offer
                    a singular analogy with those of the anonymous Arab "so that he
                    mixes with me and I mix with him".

                    F. Cumont.
                    ---

                    1. Tertullien. De praescr. haeret.. 40 : Mithra celebrat et panis
                    oblationem et imaginent resurrectionis inducit. »

                    2. Justin. Apol. I, 66 ...

                    3. A. Mingana, Catalogue of the Mingana collection of manuscripts
                    (Birmingham, Selley Oak colleges library) Cambridge, 1933. Ms.
                    Mingana, n° 142, ff. 48 - 61. --- Our attention was drawn to this
                    manuscript by Fr. Vosé, whose erudition as an orientalist has again
                    allowed us to profit from his discoveries. Our friend Mr. Levi della
                    Vida agreed to undertake to translate the Karshuni work which
                    interested us, with his proven competence, and he proposed to study
                    in it more detail and determine its sources and date. The war has
                    unfortunately halted his research; let us hope, only temporarily.

                    193.1. We reproduce here the translation of what this difficult to
                    access and sometimes not very comprehensible work says about the
                    Magi. f. 158 b: "As for the sect of the Magi, we will say again to
                    you what did Zardasht in the time of L d. yû. n (or c. d. yû. n),
                    the 82nd king after Adam. He started pyres, and accomplished
                    prodigies which induced souls to obey him. Among his various
                    miracles, he excited people to throw themselves into the pyres, and
                    those who saw them believed that they burned, but all this was art
                    of sorcery. After some time, as they always found them in the pyres,
                    the people believed (f. 159 a) that they were resuscitated, as the
                    book Z. b. h. r. and other books of the Magi attest. This Zardasht
                    again says to his disciples: whoever does not eat of my body and
                    does not drink of my blood, so that he mixes with me and I mix with
                    him, he will not have salvation." When his works became famous, and
                    his followers spread in the world, they boiled and drank beef.

                    193.2. Jean, VI, 53; cf Matth., XXVI, 26. — On the introduction of a
                    similar formula into Manicheism, cf Alberry, Das manichäische Bema-
                    Fest (Zeitschr. F Neutest. Wissenschaft, 1938, XXXVII, p. 7).

                    195.1. Dinkart, VII, 3, 8 s. (West, Pahlavi Texts, V, 36), Zad-
                    Sparam, XVI, 7 (Ibid., p. 146). The same story in the Persian
                    Zarâtust Nama (Rosenberg, Le livre de Zoroastre, 1904, c. 8, p. 12).

                    195.2. Dion Chrysost... Or.. XXXVI, 39. cf. our Mages hellénisés. I,
                    p. 29 ; II, p. 143. In the same way at the end of the world, the
                    just will traverse a river of fire without feeling the burning
                    (Boundahish, XXX. 18).

                    195.3. Theodore bar Koni, in Mages hellénisés, vol. II, p. 128
                    (translation of P. Peeters) ; cf. vol. I, p. 52 ff.
                    ---